AWESOME stuff you see at the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They were NOT doing it right, and I think one of the problems with people reading about this kind of exercise (ok, lets be honest here, this is mostly a guy problem) is that they will just charge in and grit their teeth through the bouncing bar instead of thinking "am I doing something wrong? Should this HURT?"

Good point! LOL. Actually, I don't see a lot of people doing them and the last one was a female athlete. I know I saw somebody doing something at the gym recently that made me cringe, but I'm old and forgetful and I can't remember what it was.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Lol,also,shamefull,Ill admit,ive used the smith to hang upside down and do reverse cruches/flex work.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a know it all, but some of the stuff you guys are describing could easily be quite legitimate. Quarter squats are used for various reasons, in particular by bodybuilders to isolate upper thighs with heavier weights than they could fully squat. The bench bouncy thing could have been because there person was having trouble with locking out at the top of their bench, so they want to again isolate that part of their lift with a heavier than usual weight but they didn't have a couple of spotters to lift it half way for them. I guess I am saying I wouldn't be so quick to judge people that are doing something you don't understand... it could be because well, you don't understand.

As for something truly awesome I love seeing at my gym, there are these two guys who are the most quiet, shy, big nerdy dudes who work in IT. They are hefty guys who lift some insane weights, but are so modest about it. I wonder if any of their colleagues realise what they are serious beasts!!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    <
    Hangs from my bar on the squat rack from one arm with knees on the floor to stretch my lats
    :noway:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a know it all, but some of the stuff you guys are describing could easily be quite legitimate. Quarter squats are used for various reasons, in particular by bodybuilders to isolate upper thighs with heavier weights than they could fully squat. The bench bouncy thing could have been because there person was having trouble with locking out at the top of their bench, so they want to again isolate that part of their lift with a heavier than usual weight but they didn't have a couple of spotters to lift it half way for them. I guess I am saying I wouldn't be so quick to judge people that are doing something you don't understand... it could be because well, you don't understand.

As for something truly awesome I love seeing at my gym, there are these two guys who are the most quiet, shy, big nerdy dudes who work in IT. They are hefty guys who lift some insane weights, but are so modest about it. I wonder if any of their colleagues realise what they are serious beasts!!

Its usually quite obvious who is doing something because they don't know what they are doing or read it in a magazine and who is actually a serious body builder working on some isolation areas or a powerlifting pushing through a weak spot. These people are never them. (my gym has maybe 3 powerlifters and 2 bodybuilders, the rest are just doing whatever they've "heard" is good or copying what they see other people doing. Oh and one guy doing oly lifts which really sucks for him because its a 24 hour fitness and there is barely ANY open floor space -- but I've looked for myself and we're in some kind of lifting deadzone so your choices are to lift at a big box gym or drive quite a ways)

But that is a fair point in general.

Speaking of being able to tell who knows what the hell they are doing, my husband thought it was really cool when the guy that squats 325 came over and asked me where I got my fractionals.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Its usually quite obvious who is doing something because they don't know what they are doing or read it in a magazine and who is actually a serious body builder working on some isolation areas or a powerlifting pushing through a weak spot. These people are never them. (my gym has maybe 3 powerlifters and 2 bodybuilders, the rest are just doing whatever they've "heard" is good or copying what they see other people doing. Oh and one guy doing oly lifts which really sucks for him because its a 24 hour fitness and there is barely ANY open floor space -- but I've looked for myself and we're in some kind of lifting deadzone so your choices are to lift at a big box gym or drive quite a ways)

But that is a fair point in general.

Speaking of being able to tell who knows what the hell they are doing, my husband thought it was really cool when the guy that squats 325 came over and asked me where I got my fractionals.

Sure thing, plus I know you know your stuff. I guess I have just read alot of posts/threads like this one and I am just urging a little caution to others about making quick judgements. SS and NROLFW are great resources, but they obviously don't represent the entire body of knowledge when it comes to weightlifting :) I train at a powerlifting/strongman gym, so that's all I see. Some of the crazy apparatus and movements and methods they use would probably look nutso to the untrained eye!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is totally making me bad though. There was a guy started doing smith machine squats yesterday next to me, and I wanted to turn round and be like 'you totally shouldnt use the smith,it'll jack your knees, Im almost done with the rack'. Gah!!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I train at a powerlifting/strongman gym, so that's all I see.

And this is why I'm jealous. No powerlifting gym here :(
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Saw something very odd today.

A woman with a girl. The girl was about 13? 14? **

The mom was showing the girl how to do this bizarre wannabe windmill-type exercise. They stood in a hamstring stretch like this

standing_hamstring_stretch.jpg

They had dumbbells* placed outside their legs, half a foot away or so, bent down, reached with the left arm to pick up the right dumbbell, stood up and reached the left arm behind them with the weight, put the weight down where they found it, switched legs and did the other side.

It was bizarre.

*5 lbs for mom, 3 lbs for daughter - my gym doesn't have 3 lb weights, so mom must have brought them from home.

**mom was totally into it, girl was bored.
  • tameko2
    Options
    My trainer had me do some weird positioned stuff, back when I had one, that I guess was for small muscle focus day? which I found tedious as heck. But I can imagine some people really liking it. I imagine it LOOKS totally ridiculous though (although hey, pendlay rows look REALLY effing ridiculous). Also I have never gotten in that position as anything other than a stretch.

The thing I remember was she made me stand on my toes and do forward lunges while holding small dumbells and then while deep into the lunge, leaning forward and then doing a shoulder press followed by a tricep kickback while holding that position on my TOES. It was complicated and DIFFICULT - I did not care for it, but I did feel sore and exhausted afterwards and I know a lot of people feel like that means its a good workout. I don't agree with that personally - being sore and exhausted just means you are sore and exhausted, just like sweating just means your body is engaged in heat regulation.

I actually feel sort of bad for people doing that crap - I do recognize that some probably genuinely like it, but they could be doing something so much more effective and satisfying (it is just plain satisfying as hell to say you did something with 100 lbs instead of 5). There's this girl at my gym who has been coming in with her boyfriend and he has her follow him around doing things that are just .... well. I mean technically NOTHING you do wiht your body is 100% pointless, but given that i assume her goals are body changes (she is active-overweight looking - firm but pretty big) those calf raises, shrugs, and bicep curls aren't doing near as much to get her there as something else would.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

I love it there, there's no treadmills, no les mills classes and best of all no Bro's!! The guys and girls train for strength, not vanity, so its a different vibe altogether.
  • tameko2
    Options

I love it there, there's no treadmills, no les mills classes and best of all no Bro's!! The guys and girls train for strength, not vanity, so its a different vibe altogether.

I am jealous too, I actually googled like crazy to find one and I'm flat out in a deadzone. No oly gyms, no pl gyms, the only thing even remotely close is a crossfit and its still pretty far
  • Nataliaho
    Options

I am jealous too, I actually googled like crazy to find one and I'm flat out in a deadzone. No oly gyms, no pl gyms, the only thing even remotely close is a crossfit and its still pretty far

Having a trainer really helps you to increase your lifts too. Just getting visibility of what women are lifting and what you can actually lift is so good. I do my training 50/50 between my PL gym and my crossfit box. Best of both worlds for me, I hope to never ever be a member at a gym with a treadmill lol.