Vegan proteins

Options
Hello,

I'm new to this group and to MFP. I've been eating essentially low-fat vegan for the past two months, albeit falling off the bandwagon on weekends. However, I'm having so much gas, it's quite unbearable. And I'm not even following this diet 7 days a week! It seems like the fruits, the huge salads and beans are making my intestines go crazy. Contrary to all I read, I don't seem to be "getting used" to all that fiber, even after 2 months.

Is there any form of vegan protein that does not cause gassiness? I even think I react to tofu... If I take out beans and tofu, what forms of protein are left?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• livelongmama
    livelongmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Unless you have intolerances to some of these protein sources, your body will adjust. That doesn't mean you will never have gas, it just means you won't have it all the time. :happy: I have never had this problem with tofu, but beans can be another story. I find if I eat beans with lettuce, I don't generally have a problem.

Other protein sources that you could try would be seitan (wheat protein), quinoa, brown rice, peas, soy yogurt and nuts to name just a few. Good luck!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Seitan is another good protein source. You can even make it at home. Just look up a recipe for Seitan on google.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein are you aiming for daily? You only need 1-2 grams per kilo of body weight.

Here's a good list:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/
  • tryingvegan
    tryingvegan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Kale is high in protein. I have heard this a couple of times, but haven't looked it up. 1/2 cup of beans is about all you need according to some doctors and shouldn't be too gassy.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There is also pea and rice protein and grains like quinoa. I just bought a protein powder from vega that uses rice and pea protein.
  • MariaFlippen
    MariaFlippen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you using canned or dried beans? If you using dried beans, are you soaking them first?
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Seitan is another good protein source. You can even make it at home. Just look up a recipe for Seitan on google.

Definitely try seitan!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Are you using canned or dried beans? If you using dried beans, are you soaking them first?

I use both, but usually packaged beans because they are cheaper and I can get more beans out of a dollar bag than a can plus I can control what's in them. I soak them for maybe 30 mins and cook them in a slow cooker for 3-5hrs depending on the bean. They cook faster if they are soaked a bit before turning on the cooker. I like using the cooker because they require little watching.
  • MariaFlippen
    MariaFlippen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find/have read that it helps with reduce/prevent gas when you soak the beans (overnight) and change the water before cooking.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    try some nuts, and try some tahini :)