Share your story

Options
I had a Duodenal Switch in 2003 and wnt form 400 to 185 pounds in just under 2 years, I was able to successfully keep the weight off, but around the 4th year i began to have some health isues. I had a total of 5 suregeries to remove blockages and had my gall bladder removed (which i already knew would be done one day andyway. Bariatric surgeons today, remove them at the time of surgery). I also began having faiting spells, my blood pressure was extremely low, i was taking mega doses of iron, vitaminD and every other available vitamin, but i simply was not absorbing ANYTHING!

4 years ago, my surgery was reversed, basically to save to save my life, though at the time i decided i would rather die skinny, than be alive fat (that was true crazy talk). Since then i have regained 65 pounds and i am now 250, if i could drop 50 pounds and maintain the loss, i know i will be in a healthier place, but i really want to be under 200, so i am going for 195, which would put me in a size 14 again.

I am healthier, though i do still struggle with a severe vitamin D deficiency and have decided exersise is now the only way to get this weight off, i already eat pretty healthy, a habit i established after my bypass.

Replies

• KDIrving
    KDIrving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I had RNY gastric bypass in September 2001, and lost about 150 lb. in a year and a half. I was too skinny at that weight (never thought I'd EVER be too skinny!), so I decided to go up about 20 lb. Did that, and maintained that weight for nearly six years. I was exercising four or five days a week, tracking my food intake, and generally doing what I needed to do to stay healthy, and I felt the best I've ever felt in my life.

Then in 2006, a bunch of things happened that forced me to take on a lot of extra work, and with it, extra stress. At first I was able to keep going to the gym, but gradually I found that the work was overwhelming my life--and I couldn't let it slide, because our family business (and thus our family finances) depended on me pitching in and doing what needed to be done. I could feel the weight coming back, and a couple of times I was able to get enough traction to take it off, but eventually things got to be too much for me, and I had to choose: stop working out and keep our house, or go to the gym and be broke and homeless. Hmm. Which should I do? :ohwell:

Last spring, I decided that enough was enough, and work was under control enough that I could afford a couple of trips to the gym each week. I tracked my food religiously, stayed close to my target calorie intake of about 1,250 cal., and at the end of an entire month, found I'd lost a grand total of...nothing. In fact, I'd gained two pounds. I can't even begin to describe the despair I felt at that time. I couldn't figure it out--unless I'd somehow destroyed my metabolism by eating so little for so many years? I threw up my hands, and thought, "Well, screw it. If I can't lose weight even with an intact gastric bypass, there's no point even trying."

Things got even worse in September, when I fell down a flight of stairs and smashed my ankle. Broke both bones, shattered the head of the larger bone, and tore out every ligament in the area. My surgeon said I'd walk again, but warned me that he couldn't work miracles--there were several places where he was unable to reattach the pieces, and I'd just have to hope it eventually heals.

Over the winter, I gained even more weight, and this past March, I made a decision: I'm not as indispensable at work as I was six years ago, so I'm only working half-time now. I found a program in my city, run by a doctor who's incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate about obesity, and I'm working with him and his team (nutritionist, physical trainer) to get myself healthy again. They did some metabolic testing and found that while my metabolism has definitely slowed, it's not as bad as I expected. I know it'll likely take at least a year to lose the first 50 pounds, and I'm fine with that (sort of...part of me would really love to go back to the early days of the RNY, when I could lose 15 pounds in a month--whee! :bigsmile: --but I know that's just not realistic).

I've been at MFP about a month and a bit, and I'm feeling like this is very do-able. Hope we can attract a few more "bypassers" to this group, as I have a feeling we're definitely not the only ones facing this issue!
  • mebrooks1
    mebrooks1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story, it is awesome to finally get some validation that it is not just me. I have been working out for 2 weeks straight and working very hard to eat 1200 calories, since i do not want to force my body back into starvation mode - i gained 2 pounds!!!

O well - keep on keepin on - and hopefully we can get more bypassers to join.
  • KDIrving
    Options
    Hi, it's nice to meet you! Thanks so much for setting up this group.:flowerforyou:

One thing I did when I was trying unsuccessfully to lose weight last spring is set my calorie level too low. Like you, I set it around 1,200, which my nutritionist tells me is too low! I know that sounds weird, but the way he explains it, if you focus on a slightly higher amount--in my case, around 1,400-1,500--and divide that up into three meals and three planned snacks, you'll actually lose more weight. (I mentioned this in more detail in my blog post yesterday, if you're interested.) I was kinda skeptical at first, but I tried it, and it's actually working!

The other thing is that I now take higher doses of vitamins, as it turned out that I was severely deficient in B12, iron, calcium, and D. I don't know if taking the vitamins is helping me lose weight, but I do feel a lot better, and I'm pretty sure at least some of it is that I'm no longer severely anemic!

It'd be great to see more bypassers here. I know for sure we're not alone!
  • madwmn
    madwmn Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Im kym & Had RNY gastric bypass in 2008 I started at 5'8", 293 lbs in the 3rd yr Iwas down to154, this was too thin and I needed to gain back to 165-170. Well Im at around 179 so Ive got 13 to go before vacation I feel too heavy and people just dont get it. I work at a gym so should be able to exercise regular but Im just so depressed and feeling hungry I need to eat less and work out more write it down is helping .send encouragement and food ideas. Breakfast is the hardest. Thanx
  • Starlight9763
    Starlight9763 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am Sharon and I had RNY in May of 2008. Highest 354, Lowest 170 (for about a day), and my current is 233. I moved and got married about a year ago to a man that can really cook!! I feel so ashamed that I have gained over 60 lbs back. I look at my old pictures and I want that again! I have the tool I just need a kick in the butt to get back to it and leave the carbs alone! The carbs and Pure Protein bars are my biggest downfalls. I look forward to visiting this group often for tips and help to get back on track! We can all do this with a support group and encouragement!! So...let's get going!
  • shelkay1
    shelkay1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm Shelby, I had RNY in August 2006. By January of '07 I had lost 100 lbs & had just made it to "onederland". On the 17th of that month I was in a major car accident which put a sudden halt to the losing. I was no no longer in control of making my own meals & dependant on others. I was also not able to exercise as I had been doing at least 4 days a week. The result has been a gradual gain of almost 60 lbs. I averaged a regain of about 10 lbs. a year. That all said, I'm done with the excuses! I am the one responsible for every bite that goes in my mouth & I'm retaking control! Over the last 10 days I've lost 5lbs with the help of tracking my food intake on MFP & lots more to come!
  • KDIrving
    Options
    Hi, Sharon and Kym--

I think we've all reached the point that no one really talked about when we were first considering our surgeries: after a couple of years, the hunger DOES come back!

The other thing that I noticed is that almost everyone who's had surgery and regained some weight afterwards feels a sense of shame and public humiliation. Because we've lost weight in such a dramatic and noticeable way, it's like our bodies are now on public display--all those people who noticed us losing weight can see us getting heavier again. No one who hasn't had a bypass seems to really get it: the surgery doesn't give us a free pass for life, it just helps us get to the same point as everyone else. It kind of levels the playing field, and now it's up to us to stay in a comfortable weight zone.

Sometimes I feel like, if I had this surgery, I should be able to lose weight and keep it off forever, and if "forever" doesn't last that long, well, there must be something wrong with me! But when I catch myself getting into that mindset, I try to turn off the judge in my head. I'm not a failure, but I do have a chronic health condition called obesity. I can keep it under control, sometimes better than others, but my control isn't perfect.

That's where food tracking comes in; it helps me maintain control over this chronic problem I have. Same with going to the gym regularly--it's a strategy to keep on top of the obesity, and not let it regain control of my health.
  • Starlight9763
    Options
    Any ideas on boosting moral and getting this group off and running (or walking in my case!) It is great to share a similar experience and to have others to bounce ideas off. I am fairly new here so I don't know how to start new threads or what ever they are called. How many calories does everyone shoot for?
  • mebrooks1
    Options
    1200 is too low? really? At first i was trying 800-1000, i figured 1200 would be ok. I am terrigied of doing more.
  • mebrooks1
    Options
    I have been going to other forums and inviting folks. Maybe, check out some Tweeters and facebook groups and see if we can get any people to join. I am in a Yahoo group for people who had a reversal, i haven't posted there for awhile, maybe i will.
  • Starlight9763
    Options
    I will post on Obesity Help website as well! Good night to all!
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I'm new to the group. My name is Laurie and I'm a 52-year-old female in Rochester, NY. I had RNY in 2008 and easily lost 165 lbs. within 9 months. Since then I went back to some old habits and have gained back 50 lbs. I joined MFP to become accountable and it's been great. So much support! I have given up all added sugar (even artifical) and caffeine. The detox made me feel quite terrible for about three days, but now that's over and the sugar cravings have completely gone. My frequent headaches/migraines have disappeared also. I need help losing the remaining 35-50 lbs.

Would really love support from you folks who walk in my shoes. Thanks so much :flowerforyou:
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY bypass in August of 2006. I weighed 370lbs at the time. Surgery went great… I was down almost 80lbs by Christmas… wicked. LOL. I continued to lose a total of 180lbs… I made it to 190lbs… I don’t even remember ever being that by the way… I was looking smaller and I was happy and proud. My high blood pressure was totally gone and I was off meds like 2 months after the surgery. Then as things evened out after a year or two… I got complacent… less attentive… reintroduced bad habits. I knew they were bad habits… yet I did them anyway… stupid. Anyway I gained 15lbs back… which I was disturbed by but they said to expect a small rebound… Then in the fall of 2008, November 14th to be exact… I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. We had tried so many years and I went through gastric knowing that I wanted to have a baby was one of the main reasons…. It was a good day… <3 :-)

I did great through the pregnancy… except I kept losing weight. I wasn’t gaining… this lead to doctors grilling me on what I was eating and more ultrasounds… me trying to force myself to eat more… I was getting dizzy spells… crazy… anyway… my Perfection was born in July 2009… at the end Momma and baby were healthy. I was at 186lbs… less than after the bypass…. But it came back quickly… I found it hard to snap out of the pregnancy mode of eating whatever I wanted… and gradually regained yet again.

Then last April (2011)… I blew my knee out at work and was off work for 2 months with the physical therapy and surgery… oy. I was destroyed… I don’t like to rely on other people… I’m not good at it. Of course it had to be my right knee… so I couldn’t drive. So I had to be shuttled to therapy and drs appts and everywhere… I couldn’t get down on the floor and play with my 2 year old… chase her around… carry her to bed… I got really down and food has always been my best friend… especially in those times…. So here I am. Not nearly where I started… but not where I want to be. I put 83lbs as my goal just to try to appease the BMI gods…. I don’t like that Obese percentage label… However, realistically… if I can get back to around where I was after having my girl… I’d be happy if I could stay there…

As to why I was always big since I’ve been little… I am not completely sure… I think there should’ve been some serious hardcore psychological treatment after the surgery… maybe it would’ve helped to not be where I am again. I know everyone just says will power… I have will power… I have the desire… and yet I still do stupid things. I dunno…

Well there you go…my story in rambling form… LOL Now… if I can just get rid of all this excess skin. baha
  • krystinek
    Options
    So nice to find kindred spirits :smile:

I had WLS in Dec 2001 weighing 300 lbs at 5'4". Got down to 165 for a brief period, then leveled out at 190, which I was happy with. I have now crept up to 218 and have joined mfp because I don't ever want to be 300 pounds again. I suck at taking calcium (never), B12 (rarely) and iron (sometimes). My iron was so low last winter my doc almost had to put me on an IV. You'd think that and the constant bruises would realign my thinking.

Anyway, I appreciate all your stories and support. I'm new here and would love some mfp friends.

Thanks,

Kristine
  • highlandlass
    Options
    Hi all. I swore this wouldn't happen, but guess what - here I am hoping to be able to get back to healthy eating habits. I've gained back several pounds after my Gastric Bypass that I had a few years ago. I am so upset with myself and have decided that I need support - can't do it alone. Here we go again......I want to be successful so I am dedicating myself to becoming a healthy eater again, in small portions. :happy:
  • lnrmom
    Options
    My name is Jennifer and I had RNY in 2005. I weighed 290lbs. I got down to 145 in one year. I felt fantastic and was able to maintain that weight successfully for about three or four years. Then life got in the way, was in a car wreck that screwed up my neck and upper back, then fell on the ice which screwed up my lower back, and now have been battling a headache including two rounds of steroids to try to get it to stop, for the past month. Since the car wreck I am back up to 230 and I am not happy with myself at all. I hurt all over, I'm tired. I'm battling very hard not to go into a deep depression. I have to turn this around. And fast.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started at 380 on 8/5/98 when I had my RNY. Got down to 178 and felt GREAT then I reintroduced the evil sugar monster and regained 70 lbs to get back up to 248. Lost back to 171 for a second then back to 178 but then I moved with my hubby far away from home and regained back to 203.5. I've been struggling to get back to the magic number of 178 where I felt the best but I keep back sliding into the sugar, argh....I'm glad I caught the regain before it was 70 lbs this time but 25.5 lbs is getting impossible to get off and it is getting harder to maintain to even get back to my original goal weight of 178. I have always been hung up on the numbers. I'm also glad I'm not alone and I'm hoping someone here can help me and I can do the same for you. Thanks!
  • rjallmon
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 41 years old and my height is 4'9". I had RNY in December 2005 starting out at 250 lbs. I lost 138 lbs in 12 months and had the skin removed. I thought I looked good, and I felt great. Some people told me that I had lost too much. My doctor told me he didn't want me to gain anything over 140 lbs. My husband deployed just after I had surgery and was gone for over a year. He came back to a new wife. I was smaller than he had ever seen me in the 15 years we had been married. I was not used to eating with someone. Everytime he ate, he wanted me to eat with him, and I am the type of person that wants to please everyone. Often I would eat, only to dump later, blah! I was in denial and stopped weighing myself, because I did not want to face the fact that I was gaining. Last year in June or July I started trying to fix my diet so that I could eat healthier and try to get some of the weight off. In mid July I discovered that I had kidney stones in my left kidney and cancer in the right kidney. I was very scared and not sure what to do. I was eating a high protein diet, but now I have to watch animal proteins because they cause stones. After having surgery to remove the stone, and surgery to remove my right kidney, I wasn't able to do much in the way of exercise until I was recovered. In January I was at my highest post RNY weight at 203. I started trying to eat better, and then discovered MFP in August. I have lost 11 lbs since I started logging and exercising. This is a total loss of 31 lbs since January. I am feeling better, and enjoy that I am regularly taking my vitamins, which is something I have also struggled with. I went shopping last night for the first time in a very long time and was excited to see what size pants I am in now. I hope to be able to continue becoming more healthy and re shaping my body. Having an exercise partner helps out. Unfortunately my husband and son don't show an interest in eating healthier and exercising, but I have learned to say no. I don't have to eat donuts when they have them, or whatever junk they are consuming. I am hoping to get some great tips and ideas from the MFP community.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello kindred souls. So glad I found a group who gets what I am going through. My name is Pat and I am a 55 year old mother of two adult sons and a grandmother to a wonderful little boy and girl.

In 2004 at 285lbs (5'4") I had a RNY. My surgeon takes a conservative approach to the surgery so the first 80 lbs melted off and then I stalled. Lost a little, gained a little, cleaned up the food and was losing about 1 lb a month until I was down to 177. Pretty happy there. Then in January of 2011 I took on a huge project at work that consumed me. The sugar was completely out of control. (quad tall breve mocha, 3-4 a day for those of you who speak *bucks) I knew it was bad, my ever expanding a** was proof, but wasn't able to deal with it at the time.

By October the project was over and I started cleaning up my food, but I was still gaining. By the end of the year I had gained about 40lbs. I was in panic mode at this point and checked in with the doctor. After numerous tests, including a nasty upper GI to check the surgery, the verdict was that there was nothing wrong with me. Well darn.

In January I created my MFP account but didn't do anything with it. By July when I decided to get serious, I had gained another 20lbs. Now I'm up about 60lbs. As I am sure you all know, I swore this would never happen to me. But it did.

So, in July I started doing a standard, low cal, high protein diet. I logged everything that went into my mouth, including the vitamins. Started with calories at about 1200, the first week lost nothing, the second week lost 9lbs and then stalled again. Sigh. Started dropping the calories and still wasn't losing, maybe a half a pound a week. BTW, did you know that a few years after surgery your body figures out how to absorb the calories again? Google it, its depressing. Anyways, went on vacation, and off the diet. (Cruise Ship!), gained 5 lbs back of the 10.4lbs I had lost.

Returning from the cruise I have decided to take a different approach. Old school Atkins. It has the potential to reset the metabolism and it will help to get the protein in. Because, even though your body figures out how to keep the calories, it still can't absorb the nutrients. Go figure. Anyways, in the first week lost the 5lbs I put on during the cruise and working on week two. Feel free to friend me, I need all the support I can get.
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm SO happy to see that I am not the only one struggling! Just like many stories I've read here I promised myself it wouldn't happen. That I wouldn't gain much back. But it happened.

I had bypass 9/23/03. At the time I was nearing 300lbs. I was freshly 23 and had twin 2 year olds keeping me busy. I decided to have the bypass so I could keep up with my girls. I hated going to Burger King and having to bring someone else with me to chase after them in the playplace. So I had the bypass and it was the best decision of my life! I lost 170 lbs or so. I kept it off for a long time, too! I got down to about 120 and then plateaued. I was fine with that. I met someone special and we settled down. We've been together ever since (married 9/13/09). And since we've been together I've sort of let myself go. Not to mention we decided to have a child of our own and I gave birth to my newest addition, Ian, 1/11/12. So he's 9 months now and my 'baby weight' excuse isn't cutting it anymore. While pregnant with him I got up to 180 lbs. I've lost most of it. But I still want to lose the initial extra weight I'd gained before the baby. So here I am!

I'm finding it tough to stay positive. I only started a week ago and within the first 3 days I lost like 4 lbs! Then suddenly I started teetering.... I've gained 2 lbs and it's killing me.

Anyone else find that perhaps we were 'spoiled' by being able to drop lbs so fast after the surgery? And now we're frustrated that the lbs aren't just melting off like they used to? I know I can do it, and that it will take time. I guess I am just looking to know that I am not the only one struggling with this.