Delayed-DOMS?

Options
Vodkha
Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
I have a quick question about DOMS that do not happen the day after weight training but the following day (so 2 days after). I do some circuit training in the days between my lifting, but if I am quite sore the following day from the lifting, it makes lifting on the third day hard. Should I just push through anyways?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The "D" in DOMS stands for "Delayed."

It's inflammation in the connective tissue, and it's fine to train with.
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^
    What he said !
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I know that the D stands for Delayed, but I meant this is delayed-delayed muscle soreness :p

thanks, I will just push through it
  • cjacks1911
    cjacks1911 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you have to push through with less intensity I would say to just rest until you fully recover.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Light training day with stretching and light cardio will help.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I hate it too. Still seems to be crapshoot of how to make it not be so delayed. Luckily, I'm only lifting 2x though myself, so I'm usually fresh by the next lifting day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It's all mental. DOMS doesn't affect strength. Have set plenty of PB's while going into a workout feeling pretty damn sore!

Lots of water, stretching, mobility stuff the day after may help also but I think eventually you're body really does seem to get used to it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Push thru but lighten your workout. You're in this for the long haul right? Be patient. Back off a little bit. Increase slowly.

This is what helped me work through DOMS. Soreness takes all the motivation right out of me. So, I had to start with lighter weights, lower reps, and slowly work up to the whole fatigue concept. If I'm starting a new workout, I just go through the motions for the first couple times and then after I've gotten used to it, THEN I'll increase weight and push myself harder.

I don't workout to the point of getting out of breath anymore unless it's a cardio day.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you can continue to workout the same muscle group with 'DOMS' you're not working hard enough in the first place. If you've really got DOMS, you won't have anything near normal ROM and certainly won't be 'pushing through it'. If you can't sit on the toilet, that's DOMS.

If you're not working out enough to be out of breath, you're not working out. Stop resting so much or lift heavier.

Yes D stands for delayed and DOMS can come on two days after working out, that's pretty normal.
    If you're working that hard, allow your CNS plenty of time to recover. A 4 day split training each muscle group 1x week is adequate if you're actually lifting heavy.

Hot bath, static stretching (when warm), foam roller, massage, walking and REST are all solutions to DOMS.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you can continue to workout the same muscle group with 'DOMS' you're not working hard enough in the first place. If you've really got DOMS, you won't have anything near normal ROM and certainly won't be 'pushing through it'. If you can't sit on the toilet, that's DOMS.

Please have a run of smolov squat program and get back to me on that one.
    . A 4 day split training each muscle group 1x week is adequate if you're actually lifting heavy.

Different strokes for different folks. Beginners will benefit from just getting as strong as possible as quickly as possible. To do this, big compound exercises as often as possible allowing for enough recovery. This is how starting strength/stronglifts & other beginner programs are setup.

Body part splits can be required once there is a base level of strength. When the lifts are heavy enough that they actually will be taxing the CNS.