Suggestions for My Favorite Time of Month?

Options
seguess
seguess Posts: 36 Member
This week is awful and it's only Tuesday. I want to eat all chocolate in a 5 mile radius and then a bag of chips. I'm absolutely ravenous and trying really hard to restrain myself but it's NOT easy. Do you have any suggestions/strategies that I can try so I don't eat all chocolate in a 5 mile radius and a bag of chips?

Replies

• GwenaLW
    GwenaLW Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Start with a bottled water? That helps me...takes away my hunger although not always my cravings. Also someone told me, have one day a week where you "cheat." Not sure if that's wise advice, but I guess it couldn't hurt as long as you're not doing it every day! Personally I believe if my body is craving something, that means I "need" it - i.e., monthly I crave chocolate. That's hormonal. Maybe I am just making excuses? I think everything in moderation. IMHO. Hope that helps a little! Maybe give yourself one small piece of chocolate - or 1/2 bag of baked chips -- but don't do it if you can't avoid the temptation of eating it ALL! Monday night a friend offered me some chocolate cake. I *really* wanted some, but I said no. I did take two pieces home to my sons. I smelled it. It smelled delicious. I took my finger (sh! lol) and licked one SMALL lick of the frosting - and that was enough to "satisfy" me!
  • GwenaLW
    GwenaLW Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PS If you're ravenous are you not getting enough calories?
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You have to get past ME first! I am mid cycle at the moment and I try and curb my sweet cravings by allowing lots of healthy carbs at this time of the month. So for me that is couscous, tortilla wraps, rice (all the wholegrain varieties of course). So I feel full and get a slow release of energy throughout the day. Less calorific than sweet things too. I also do allow myself one sweet thing a day if I really really want it.

I also like to drink lots of diluted pure fruit juice - so one part of juice to two parts water, my favourite being red grape juice :drinker:
  • seguess
    Options
    You have to get past ME first! I am mid cycle at the moment and I try and curb my sweet cravings by allowing lots of healthy carbs at this time of the month. So for me that is couscous, tortilla wraps, rice (all the wholegrain varieties of course). So I feel full and get a slow release of energy throughout the day. Less calorific than sweet things too. I also do allow myself one sweet thing a day if I really really want it.

I also like to drink lots of diluted pure fruit juice - so one part of juice to two parts water, my favourite being red grape juice :drinker:

The juice idea is great! My nutrition coach is really keeping my nose to the grindstone on carbs, and I'm still learning what good carbs & bad carbs are. Could you suggest any web sites, books, etc., that would help? I've pretty much figured out that Doritos are bad carbs, but they are still my favorite. :ohwell:
  • happy_hillery
    Options
    Chocolate and chips . . . two of my weaknesses as well.

To help curb my chip addiction, I'm an air popped pop corn girl. You can get no calorie, low carb flavorings at Target (just be careful of the sodium). The pop corn tends to fill me up and helps with the need for salt.

Chocolate is a different monster all together. I suggest keeping a small (single serving) of chocolate ice cream in the freezer. That way, you take just a spoonful if you want to keep it for a long period of time, or eat the whole thing with the fact you have no more in the house. I also use 100% Whey chocolate shake mix in the house. I use it with some bananas for my morning shake, sometimes adding PB2 chocolate. PB2 is a powdered peanut butter with less fat, but a bit of sugar.

Good luck, and thank you to all the other posters.
  • seguess
    Options
    Chocolate and chips . . . two of my weaknesses as well.

To help curb my chip addiction, I'm an air popped pop corn girl. You can get no calorie, low carb flavorings at Target (just be careful of the sodium). The pop corn tends to fill me up and helps with the need for salt.

Chocolate is a different monster all together. I suggest keeping a small (single serving) of chocolate ice cream in the freezer. That way, you take just a spoonful if you want to keep it for a long period of time, or eat the whole thing with the fact you have no more in the house. I also use 100% Whey chocolate shake mix in the house. I use it with some bananas for my morning shake, sometimes adding PB2 chocolate. PB2 is a powdered peanut butter with less fat, but a bit of sugar.

Good luck, and thank you to all the other posters.

This is a HUGE help. Thanks. :)
  • mudpuddlegirl
    Options
    I've discovered LUNA bars for women. I love the Chocolate Dipped Coconut, Chocolate Covered Peppermint and Iced Oatmeal Raisin. I found them in my local grocery store (Publix) at .99 each. I will usually eat one on a day that I work out, but the other day after coming home and desperately needing something sweet I made a hot cup of tea (no sugar/2 oz 2% milk) and slowly enjoyed the Iced Oatmeal Raisin. So, a snack with beverage for under 200 calories...better than inhaling a Milky Way and diet soda!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you want to curb salty urges, try eating a pickle. It is a low-calorie filler.

And as for the chocolate -- try eating the darkest chocolate you can stand. The darker it is, the less you eat (odd but true).

Also, try dipping a banana into chocolate, then freezing. This will also limit the amount of chocolate you are eating, while filling you up.

Also Nature Valley makes a nice Oats / Dark Chocolate granola bar.
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are great! Also, I have Skinny Cow desserts. They are between 100-150 calories, depending on what you pick. I've been eating chocolate ice cream sandwiches. Also, try fudgsicles. They are about 40-60 calories and very chocolatey.
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    Water is good.. also maybe buy some gum for those times.. I also heard, I have not had to put this to the test, but go for a quick 5 min walk. or do some relaxing sets, like deep breathing.. stretching, extra to clear your mind and center yourself and reduce the stress or anxiety your feeling... Again I have not had to do this. I trying to stay away from chocolate.. i am the type i can not just stop at one for a treat i have to keep it completely away even 12 feet or i want to chow down.
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    mine are bbq chips.. any brand any type.. sigh.. have not had those in 3 weeks.. gosh those sound good.. guess it time for breakfast instead!!
  • Angelalovunicorn
    Options
    I like the banana idea, wonder if this will work to get me to eat the banana in the first place.. i have a hard time with eating them, i gag.
  • balancedhealth
    Options
    My nutritionist (she's into paleo) recommended keeping a jar of organic coconut oil in the refridgerator, Grab a spoonful when you're craving something sweet. When cold, it has the texture of a chocolate bar, it has a bit of sweetness, it satiates you and it's a health fat that helps you burn fat.

I was freezing banana's thinking it was a healthy sweet snack and she told me it's way too much sugar and just contributing to my sweet craving cycle.