Passing people and getting passed in a pool swim tri

Options
aggiesrar05
aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
My sprint tri this weekend is a pool swim. Theoretically one person is starting every 15 seconds seeded by what we said our 300m swim time was at registration. I did good, I estimated what I thought I could get my time to and my 300m time is exactly what I said it would be (I might be a little faster).

To the seasoned triathletes out there (especially those with pool swim experience), what is etiquette for passing or getting passed by people. I foresee some congestion especially since we are going down and back in one lane with multiple people in a lane.

Any tips as to what to do or what not to do when passing people or getting passed?

Replies

• trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    There's a reason they seed by time: So there's no passing in the pool. Sadly, not everybody guesses their presumed skills very accurately. Some get all worried and give a slow time, others act like they're poseidon on a winged dolphin and give a way fast time. Next thing you know, chaos.

What few time-seeded pool swims I've done (and it's not been many), it basically ends up being very very hard to pass. So if you seeded yourself as slower than you actually are, you may just end up being slower than you actually are - simply because it's too hard to get around people.

Traditional pool etiquette says to pass, you tap a swimmers toes, then (s)he is supposed to get over far enough for you to go past. If you have people coming straight at you this technique could possibly fail. But if you can pop your head up out of the water and check for no oncoming traffic, it might just work.

Outside of that, the very best place to pass in a pool is at the flip turn. Get right up on somebody's toes, then gun it into the wall right next to the person, and push hard coming out. You should be able to pass this way. Usually the person you're passing realizes what's going on and cedes the right of way to you.

I hope this helps, and good racing!
    TriJoe.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is the reason that I am hesitant to sign up for any that are in a pool. I have heard nightmare stories about congestion, people swimming UNDER other people, etc. I will be really interested to see how it goes for you. Sounds like you've gotten some good tips. I didn't know that about tapping the toe.....good to know.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Make friends with the swimmers around you in the line up and all agree that if you want to pass, tap the foot of the swimmer in front of you to pass at the end of the lane. Like Trijoe points out, everyone overestimates, or under estimates their swimming abilities. The real horror is at the end of the swim and exiting the pool. Often a line forms to get out of the pool. Ask if it okay to swim around the line and exit after the stairs.
    Other tips I learned: expect a choppy swim, plan to jump into the pool to start (it is hard for me to get a push off the wall when you jump in), and practice pushing off UNDER the lane ropes, as most swims have you go down the right side of a swim lane and back on the left side of a swim lane, then you push under the rope to go up the right side of the next swim lane, and finally HAVE FUN! It is only about 5-8 minutes of your entire race, a very small percentage of time, don't let a perceived poor swim experience drag down the rest of your race.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I believe, don't quote me on this, at the Sugarland Tri each lane will be one way. So passing is essentially like splitting lanes. Like the others said just tap the person on the foot who is in front of you and they SHOULD move right so you can pass left.
  • aggiesrar05
    Options
    @Scott - it isn't. I went to a tri clinic for this specific race about a month ago and they are using 3 lanes on either side of the pool so they have 2 sets of swims going at once. Down a lane on the right side, turn around and come back then under the lane marker and repeat 2x.

@Carolinagirl7 - That is a wonderful idea!! To make friends, chances are that people around me will be just as nervous as I am. They also warned us that there isn't any stairs to exit since we will all be exiting from the middle lanes of the pool. We have to climb out (have been practicing this) or they have people there that will help pull you out. I don't do flip turns, so I'm not so worried about pushing off the wall. Yes, pushing off would give me a little bit more momentum but I've practiced it both ways. Don't worry, I'm not going to let the swim get me down. Because after the swim I get to get on my bike which is the most fun part to me :-)

@Joe - darn it, I knew I should have learned how to do flip turns. I tried a couple times and ended up with a nose full of water. Something to work on for next time!!

Thanks everyone for the input.
  • scott091501
    Options
    That sucks. All you can really do is pass at the wall or swim over the top of them. One might get you yelled at if they find you later though. LOL.
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The last pool tri I did had a rule that you could only overtake at the end of the lane. So you tapped the toes of the person in front of you while swimming and they had to wait at the end until you kicked off. It worked well in our race because no one was drastically off their seed time and I only saw one *kitten* who wouldn't stop at the end despite being tapped.

I would advise you to check with the pool marshalls because we were told we would incur a time penalty for overtaking anywhere but the end of the lane. They'll steer you right!

Good luck! :)
  • aggiesrar05
    Options
    Well.. the pool swim was chaos. We were passing at the wall, but the seeding was quite off and then then they had sold some unclaimed packets the evening before the race and some of those swimmers just kind of swam over everyone.
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Sorry about that, I hope your next one is better :)
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would tie bricks to their ankles at the wall. That way I wouldn't have to worry about passing them again.

This is coming from a guy who hasn't done an indoor tri though...
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Like the brick trick! Sorry to hear about the swim. The only tri's I have done so far are pool swims, and I think chaos is part of the territory. I think I am inspired to try an open water swim next season!
  • Drudoo
    Options
    I am quite comfortable in going over the top of people in the open water, especially the ones who make it a point to be up front at the start. There is nothing more annoying than swimmers not positioning themselves appropriately.
  • scott091501
    Options
    I am quite comfortable in going over the top of people in the open water, especially the ones who make it a point to be up front at the start. There is nothing more annoying than swimmers not positioning themselves appropriately.

You talking to me?!?!?!

Honestly I tend to fall into a slower pace than I should in OWS so I'm going to start at the front from now on hoping to find someone fast to sit on their feet.
  • Drudoo
    Options
    I don't mind people on my feet unless they start hitting my ankles. I might just kick back extra hard to send a message...

Scott, are you going to Race Ironman Texas 70.3 in the spring?
  • scott091501
    Options
    Yep. Especially if IMTX stays at about the same time. Perfect tune up. Plus the Galveston course sets up perfect for me. Flat and windy.
  • Drudoo
    Options
    Okay. I am planning my races for next year and it is my performance check race. I should probably go ahead and register again.