Favorite hoop tricks?

Options
What are some of your favorites and some of tricks you wish you could do? I am working on making a video and would like to focus on the best and hardest.

Replies

• PrimalSweden
    PrimalSweden Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What are some of your favorites and some of tricks you wish you could do? I am working on making a video and would like to focus on the best and hardest.

I'd love to learn almost all of them :) one day, I would love to at least try a fire hoop.
  • AiryM
    AiryM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just leaned foot hooping which is so much fun! I'm better on one foot then the other. Great thigh workout! I want to learn everything. I hope to start to look more graceful at it as well. =)
  • Exene123
    Exene123 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think my favorite one is bringing the hoop up with your right hand above your head. not sure about the name. I would love to learn to hoop around the shoulders. Been having lots of trouble with that one.
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I think my favorite one is bringing the hoop up with your right hand above your head. not sure about the name. I would love to learn to hoop around the shoulders. Been having lots of trouble with that one.

This is called a lift off to lasso.
    What sort of troubles are you having with the shoulder hooping?
  • Exene123
    Options
    I'm just having trouble keeping my arms by my side. It ends up just going back to my neck or falling down. I heard using a bigger size hoop is useful for learning this trick. thanks!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    A bigger hoop is good for learning any new techniques because the rotation is slower, but you simulate a slower rotation by turning in the same current your hoop is rotating. So if you a left current hooper, try spinning to the left while the hoop is going, this will slow it down and give you a longer response time.
    You actually want to loosen your shoulders, chest and back muscles when shoulder hooping. Imagine someone dropped ice down your shirt, stick your chest way out and bring your shoulder blades together. Now imagine that you are trying to dodge something in front of you, make your chest concave and bring your shoulders close together in the front. Those are the two moves you will be doing at a pretty fast speed. When you are starting out you want to keep your arms down, but as you get used to the movement you will find that bending your arms at your elbows will help with fluidity.
    I hope some of that helps, if it doesnt make sense let me know I have a youtube channel where I post tutorials :)
  • Exene123
    Options
    Man, this is hard, but exciting! Thanks for the tip. Struggling a bit still, but I think I just need more practice.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,398 Member
    Options
    I have lots of trouble getting the hoop from my waist up to my chest (and keeping it there, of course!)

I don't know why, but whenever I am hip-hooping, it always rotates at a bit of a diagonal. Same when I am rotating around one hand in the vertical plane regardless of whether it is in front of me or to the side.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I have lots of trouble getting the hoop from my waist up to my chest (and keeping it there, of course!)

I don't know why, but whenever I am hip-hooping, it always rotates at a bit of a diagonal. Same when I am rotating around one hand in the vertical plane regardless of whether it is in front of me or to the side.

Sounds like you are leaning too heavy into one of your quadrants. For core hooping, in order to keep a nice straight plane you need to push from your core. Is it always leaning in the same direction?
    If it is pretty consistently leaning in one direction you need engage the opposite side of you body.
    It is kind of the same with your hand hooping too. You have to push with strong equal force all the way through a rotation to keep it level. When holding the hoop in your hand make you hand nice and strong, keeping your fingers good and tight together, with you thumb sticking straight up....Like you are going in for a strong handshake. If you keep your hand strong, you should be able to keep your hoop level.
    I hope that helps a little. :smile:

As far as the core hooping goes, it may help to train your quadrants. Go around you body only pushing through each corner of your body, So, push through your front right, then front left, then back left, then back right. You will start to see which sides are weaker, and can then work on strengthening those. Once you pinpoint separate quadrants, you can pretty much own that hoop and tell it to go anywhere at a moments notice on your core.

You can do it!!!!! Fine tuning takes a lot of time, but it is well worth the effort. :flowerforyou:

Oh yes, and chest hooping. Ill get back to you on that one, but I highly recommend Carollena's tutorial on youtube for helping with that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwqw20Kk8AA
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I still can't manage to bring the hoop up my body to chest hoop. I've had instructors tell me that the size of the boobs doesn't matter, but I don't believe it. I've got a pretty big hump to jump! I'm not giving up on it, though. I keep getting closer and I WILL get it.

What I can do now to get into chest hooping is to go into it from shoulder hooping, just by pulling my arms out and over my head. I'm also working on "chi-ing" the hoop down my body - starting from rotating the hoop over my head with my hands in prayer position, slowly letting it work its way down my arms until I'm chest hooping, and from there I can keep slowly dropping it down to the knees, or I can keep chest hooping!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I still can't manage to bring the hoop up my body to chest hoop. I've had instructors tell me that the size of the boobs doesn't matter, but I don't believe it. I've got a pretty big hump to jump! I'm not giving up on it, though. I keep getting closer and I WILL get it.

What I can do now to get into chest hooping is to go into it from shoulder hooping, just by pulling my arms out and over my head. I'm also working on "chi-ing" the hoop down my body - starting from rotating the hoop over my head with my hands in prayer position, slowly letting it work its way down my arms until I'm chest hooping, and from there I can keep slowly dropping it down to the knees, or I can keep chest hooping!

You can totally get it over your chest. :)
    Getting the hoop to ride up is a core constriction paired up with a speeding up of your movement, then a shift to a chest shimmy. Your lower body is going to stop moving, and it all comes from bumping your chest.
    You can practice getting the hoop to ride up just a few inches by in engaging your core then speeding up. You will start to feel it trying to ride up to your chest. Once it does use the same motion you would to keep it there coming down from your neck.
    If you are still working on it by hoop path time I would be more than happy to help!!!

Can't wait!!!! Jumping up and down!!!!!
  • summer8it
    Options
    I DID IT! A whole bunch of times! It's still pretty jerky and awkward, but I did bring it up from waist to chest without shoulder hooping first.

Now I need you to tell me that I can totally get my leg back in to the hoop from one-leg hooping and keep spinning. :) That one's been defying me since last October, when I first managed to get my leg out.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I tried chest hooping today. My elbows always want to go out like a damn bird to keep it up. I watched the video this morning so I know your suppose to keep them straight. Oh well more practice.

Oh P.S. Im new to this group. :)
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I DID IT! A whole bunch of times! It's still pretty jerky and awkward, but I did bring it up from waist to chest without shoulder hooping first.

Now I need you to tell me that I can totally get my leg back in to the hoop from one-leg hooping and keep spinning. :) That one's been defying me since last October, when I first managed to get my leg out.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! :)
    It is all timing with that one! Can you do a kick start yet??? If not try working on that first, then move back to the one leg.
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I tried chest hooping today. My elbows always want to go out like a damn bird to keep it up. I watched the video this morning so I know your suppose to keep them straight. Oh well more practice.

Oh P.S. Im new to this group. :)

Yay, for trying new things!!!!!! Welcome to the group!
    You will get it with a little more practice, I just know it! Yep, just keep trying to keep your arms down for now. Once you are comfortable with the chest movement it is actually going to help to loosen your arms. But for now keep them plastered, and try turning in current to slow down the movement.
  • summer8it
    Options

It is all timing with that one! Can you do a kick start yet??? If not try working on that first, then move back to the one leg.

I know how to do a kick start, which is different than actually being able to do it. It was just way too painful to practice it much when I had a heavier hoop, but now that I have a polypro I don't have that excuse! I've tried a bit of attempting to drop the hoop down to my shins and then get it back up... but my body is reluctant to let the hoop drop past my knees!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

i think of my sides as an accordian where i bring my hip up and my ribs down to shimmy. i don't know if that makes sense
  • kayemme
    Options

i can not do a kick start!!
  • kayemme
    Options
    i think my favorite is this little combo that i like to do...

plane hooping on the right side, tuck under pass, catch with left hand and turn; now hoop is going backwards, then a side step through.

that's so much fun when it comes off right!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    i think my favorite is this little combo that i like to do...

plane hooping on the right side, tuck under pass, catch with left hand and turn; now hoop is going backwards, then a side step through.

that's so much fun when it comes off right!

Id like to see that one! Is that sort of like a step through, with a turn??

And about the kick start, it is sort of like when you would play skip with hoops when we were kids. once the negative space in the hoop comes around step in with your left leg quickly and with your right foot give it a little kick straight up. That sends the hoop up a bit to your thigh, so you can shimmy the rest of the way to your hips.