26 month journey...still over a 100 pounds to go

Options
A little background: Next week will be my 9th anniversary with MS. The first 6 years were fine, year 7 knocked me down every 3 months. I swore I would get healthy and was furious that I did not take advantage of my ability to move and lose the weight before MS played with my balance and numbed the bottom of my my feet and finger tips. I finally was able to change from Rebif to Copaxone. Made a huge difference, the MS fatigue finally broke. I decided that I would start watching what I ate and did well the first 9 months, then winter set in and brought 10 of the 39 pounds back. Between the change in meds (to Copaxone) the increase in the anti-anxiety meds my weight has been at a very hard to budge point. I have sworn to bust my butt this summer and get down to a size 18 so that I can finally reward myself with a cute, short, highlighted hair style. I was so excited to find this group.

MS makes working out a challenge for me because if I overheat my eye whites out and my muscles become cement like. I have just begun water aerobics and that has been awesome. I have been wondering if changing my workouts to more water based (aerobics, water boot camp, vortex, etc.) and not just doing seated cardio (standing cardio creates cement legs and makes getting off the machines quite interesting) while watching my calories will get me out of this rut? Also has anyone who is on Copaxone noticed a weight stall since starting it?

Thanks for taking the time to read, I realize I probably rambled a bit!

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, you sound like you have learned what your body can and cannot do. I would definitely try more water based programs if you can. Do you have the water running class? It is held in the diving pool.

I also started with Rebif and had to come off of it and switched to copaxone. I haven't noticed a weight stall because of that - I was so relieved to be off the Rebif and get control of my life again. The weight stall is more just because winter was a long one and I wasn't motivated enough to get my butt in gear. I'm trying to get back at it - and the plan is to get to goal weight by Halloween this year.

I get the vision white outs too when I get too warm. It makes balance tricky sometimes. I've heard some of the members here mention cooling vests and exercising with fans blowing on them. I've not tried that yet so I'll leave it so someone else to explain.

We are all in the same boat here - trying to lose weight and stay healthy while battling what can be a difficult disease. Hang in there.

Bea
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have about that much to lose. I'm not currently on any meds, because we are reevaluating. I have starting water aerobics again, tonight! I was doing water aerobics a couple of years ago, along with watching my calories and I lost a lot of weight. I've been very fatigued, but even during my exercise class tonight, I could feel myself getting energy. I was really pooped out afterward, but it's worth it. Also, I drink a protein shake after a workout and I think that helps me recoup better.
    Best of luck!
  • pbecraft
    pbecraft Posts: 17
    Options
    Do they do water aerobics in cooler water? I notice if I do the vortex class (warmer water), my legs get tired much faster. Once I get into the cooler water I feel fantastic. Glad you are back to it:smile: