No Dairy, No Gluten & No Wheat...Whats Left To Eat??

Options
Hi All,

I'm Kara-Alicia, I'm 22 and was finally diagnosed with Allergic Coltis & Reflux at the age of nine. For years my body has had a love/hate relationship with most food but my arch nemesis are Dairy, Wheat and Gluten.

Sadly despite being told these food are a no go for me, in my teens thinking i was clever and living away from home gorged on all things naughty, and lets just say now my bodies had enough.

I understand I shouldn't of eaten these things so I don't need a lecture, I was just trying to fit in after years if being 'the odd girl' at school. So in a nutshell I traded slim, healthy girl for overweight bloated woman, just so people would think i'm 'normal' (pretty sad really)

I have made the decision that I can not continue much longer, I have a beautiful son and don't want to miss all the good stuff because i'm locked in the bathroom for hours at a time.

I guess i'm posting to see if anyone could reply with any meal ideas or yummy foods I could incorporate into meals to get me started.

This is not a diet for me anymore but a lifestyle change!!

Love to you all :)

Replies

• samyjo84
    samyjo84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Kara-Alicia. I am in the same boat. I have been looking for crohns friendly recipes for a while now but it is not a very friendly disease! I am 27 and was diagnosed with crohns less than a year ago. Its hard to eat right when the lose weight foods are the ones that are giving you problems! It also doesn't help that I sometimes have trouble resisting the lure of the unhealthy and oh-so-bad for me foods. Its a struggle, but if I come across any meal plans or recipes I'll let you know. Good Luck :smile: Samy Jo
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also restrict dairy/gluten; it's pretty easy when I cook at home, but eating at restaurants is trickier. You can really eat any meat/vegetables that aren't breaded (though you can get gf breadcrumbs), fruit, etc. . .If you go to Pinterest.com and search for Gluten Free, there are TONS of recipes on there for gluten-free items. I've also found a lot at the celiac.com website.

If there's a Trader Joe's near you they sell a lot of GF items and our local Trader Joes has lists available of every item in the store that's gf.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with Gluten and Dairy, but restricted on whole grains, most fruits and vegetables, berries and nuts. And before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I was already an extremeltypicky eater. So my diet is pretty limited between Crohn's and personal tatse (and now saturated fats because my LDL won't come down). My only saving grace really has been that I don't really get sick of eating the same thing over and over. My entire diet usually consists of rice krispies for breakfast (not sure if rice contains gluten) and poultry based for lunch/dinner.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with Gluten and Dairy, but restricted on whole grains, most fruits and vegetables, berries and nuts. And before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I was already an extremeltypicky eater. So my diet is pretty limited between Crohn's and personal tatse (and now saturated fats because my LDL won't come down). My only saving grace really has been that I don't really get sick of eating the same thing over and over. My entire diet usually consists of rice krispies for breakfast (not sure if rice contains gluten) and poultry based for lunch/dinner.

Rice is okay. I don't know if the name brand rice crispies have any cross-contaminates, but the Trader Joe's knockoff brand are gf.
  • Honka1
    Honka1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1. Have you ever tried "raw" milk? I buy non homogenized milk which a lot of lactose intolerant people CAN drink, and it turns out that I can too! I buy mine at the local farms or farmers markets, hopefully you have access to those. Start slow either way, after a long time without lactose, your body stops making the enzyme to digest it, so you gotta bring it back slowly either way.

2. So you can't eat carbs? I seem to have similar restrictions. Bread and lettuce can really mess me up. But that still leaves PROTEIN and FAT. I use this website to track my diet, and feel best when I eat a diet resulting in approx only 20% carbs or less. Not sure if it is more carbs or bread in general, but I know it is NOT gluten alone. A low carb diet is definately not as convenient as normal diets, you have to cook everything instead of opening a box or wrapper, but isn't too bad. I still eat tons of bacon, cheeseburgers, etc etc and not just bland ol eggs and protein shakes like some people with IColitis/Crohns eat.