Grip Strength

crashri
crashri Posts: 19 Member
I am very new to crossfit. This is my first non-elements class week, and I have gone on Monday and Wednesday. I have noticed that my grip strength is one of my biggest problems, and rope climbs and pull-ups and even Toes 2 bar kill me because I can't hold on.

Today we did 20 minutes AMRAP
135# DL
7 Toes to Bar
5 Handstand push-ups.

by the second set on T2B, I had to keep dropping, not because I couldn't bring my legs up but because I couldn't hold on,
by the fourth set of the DL I was practically dropping the bar (even with the reverse grip).

Granted my forearms were sore from Monday's nightmare workout with over 100 pull-ups, but are there any suggestions for building up grip strength? I think this is also why I have absolutely no shot at kipping yet.

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    my grip strength sucks *kitten* too, that's why I tear when doing anything on the bar. I heard that using a fatter bar will help your grip, as will hanging onto the pull up bar with your fingers and getting comfortable with that grip (plus you will tear less too).

As for DL's - I use a mixed grip, which really helps me lift heavy.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    my grip strength is one of my many weaknesses. Try taking a couple of lighter plates and work up to heavy ones doing a farmers carry for x-number of feet, meters, yards, w/e. I've been working with 25# plates and trying to go 100 meters without dropping them times about 4 or 5. Let me tell you, it ain't easy, but it's been helping, so I figure I'll keep doing it.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    my grip strength is one of my many weaknesses. Try taking a couple of lighter plates and work up to heavy ones doing a farmers carry for x-number of feet, meters, yards, w/e. I've been working with 25# plates and trying to go 100 meters without dropping them times about 4 or 5. Let me tell you, it ain't easy, but it's been helping, so I figure I'll keep doing it.

this - you can also do ring rows
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    I do farmer's carry a LOT to work on grip strength. Usually with full 5 gallon water jugs. I also set up a bar with fairly heavy weight between two boxes and practice gripping it and just lifting an inch or two for a count of 10. It's paid off, I can hold on much longer now than when I started a few months ago. I actually tried to go one too many on a toe to bar, slipped off and bruised my tailbone, so grip strength has been kind of a priority for me.
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    thank you for posting this. my grip sucks and i didnt even think about making it stronger. haha.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    I think just be patient.

Pretty much every WOD seems to have you hanging, lifting or swinging something, all of which will gradually build up the grip at the same time as whatever other muscle groups are involved.

I get that you would do more T2B's if we taped your hands onto the bar, but you'll probably find you're twice as good next week anyway.

Nice to have another cross fitter.
    Don't get hurt.