Casein in Soy Cheese?

Options
simplyeater
simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
Went to the grocery store yesterday and wandered by the "Veggie Shreds" shredded mozzarella soy cheese. Now I don't buy very many product substitutes (mostly because they are processed foods), but I thought I might give it a try and see what's what. So I started reading the back label and saw casein in the ingredient list. Why on earth would they put casein (a milk protein) in soy cheese? Aren't people that eat soy cheese usually ones AVOIDING dairy? And isn't casein the protein that's chemically responsible for "cheese addiction"? Maybe they are trying to get us hooked on soy cheese. Yeah....like that's going to happen.

Replies

• busymommyx3
    busymommyx3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I swear they do it just to annoy Vegans, lol! Daiya does not contain casein by the way if you are looking for a brand that doesn't have it :)
  • alicenadams
    alicenadams Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Totally annoying!! Stoneyfield has whey in their soy yogurt!! My son has a severe diary allergy and I found this stuff crazy when I was first getting use to what to buy for him, which in turn led to our vegan home. I just don't get it!!
  • simplyeater
    Options
    Whey in soy yogurt! That is crazy too! Guess this is why we must ALWAYS read labels. The other day I almost purchased whole wheat tortillas that had anchovies on the ingredient list, luckily I read the label first!!
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Why would anchovies be in a whole wheat tortilla?? Or any tortilla? That is so weird.
  • simplyeater
    Options
    They were Wegman's store brand. I just found a link to their ingredient list. There is also Fish gelatin in them, yuck!!!

http://www.shopwell.com/wegmans-tortillas-whole-wheat/tortillas/p/7789017429

It's all the fuss over omega-3's now, I think. They're sticking that stuff in everything.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As for "non-dairy" products, it's my sense that most are made for the lactose intolerant (and common religious dietary restrictions) and definitely not for those with allergies or otherwise restricted diets. Non-dairy creamer is the classic example.

I was visiting family and saw some Tropicana Omega fortified OJ that had an absolutely frightening ingredient list, including 4 kinds of fish and additional fish gelatin.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There is no skipping the label-reading on processed foods, there's just not. :( Once you get your brand, stick with it!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Why would anchovies be in a whole wheat tortilla?? Or any tortilla? That is so weird.

Yuck!!
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yup, they sneak stuff in all the time

daiya or follow your heart is the way to go for vegan cheese

or make your own out of nuts or nutritional yeast
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It is sad that you have to watch the orange juice and tortilla ingredients because they not only aren't vegan, they aren't even vegetarian. It is so annoying. Gelatin always sneaks up in foods too and I can't stand it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yea I made the mistake of buying them at first. I'm going to ask that store to carry Daiya because I have a dairy allergy that's seriously ALL DAIRY, not just Lactose...stupid companies..
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Galaxy foods, the one who makes lactose free cheese (not vegan) DOES have vegan slices. It actually says Vegan as part of the product name, really big. We get ours at Whole Foods. We have Daiya as well but it's going bad probably in the back of the fridge haha. It's WAY too oily for my liking.