Whitetail De-Pop Program in Fairfax Co. Virginia

Options
It is almost that time again, time to break out the crossbows, buy hunting licenses, and place tree stands. My dad and I are applying for a second year of participating in the deer depopulation program in Fairfax County in Virginia. Is there anyone else out there who participates in these types of programs?

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    we don't have those programs here in Mass but if you're in need of someone to shoot an extra or deer or two please let me know!!!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    We don't have them here in Colorado either. They think we do not have enough deer. That is why people wreck their cars driving at dusk and morning! They do not have a clue. I hunt the late plains season here.
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    In PA the high populated areas around the big cities you can get as may doe license as you want and archery starts 2 week earlier for doe only.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    In PA the high populated areas around the big cities you can get as may doe license as you want and archery starts 2 week earlier for doe only.

Interesting...do they out out of state permits as well?
  • hunter1025
    Options

Interesting...do they out out of state permits as well?

Yes. I live near Pittsburgh and they usually have 68000 doe license available for that management unit and only sell about half.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Do you happen to have an web link that I could check out?
  • Automan21k
    Options
    Do you happen to have an web link that I could check out?
    I ended up with 3 doe and 1 buck tag last year but I only filled one of the doe and the buck.
    Tags here in Central PA sell out very fast and there aren't as many tags issued. I was tempted to pick up on archery season, but I can never seem to get away from work at that time of the year.

The game commission website has most of the info you would need.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us
  • hunter1025
    Options
    The link Automan posted is the link you want. Like he said everything is in there. I had 3 tags for 2B and never drew back or pulled my gun up on a doe. During archery they were just out of range and during slug season they were always running.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    thank you both. I will be looking into this today!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I live in the Philly burbs with unlimited doe tags. If you can get access to an area you definitely should take advantage of it. Especially if you are willing to kill does. I had 23 walk right under my stand on each of my first three nights on stand last October. Hunted at least three days per week with no night with less than 12 within range. The place is over-loaded.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I live in the Philly burbs with unlimited doe tags. If you can get access to an area you definitely should take advantage of it. Especially if you are willing to kill does. I had 23 walk right under my stand on each of my first three nights on stand last October. Hunted at least three days per week with no night with less than 12 within range. The place is over-loaded.

This is crazy! Talk about venison heaven.. I didn't get a single deer in range (crossbow and program restrictions to not shoot anything more than 20 yards away.) last year for the de-pop program. But I think one thing that works against us is that we are in a park and there are people running and riding bikes past our stands (never closer than 50ft) all day so the deer don't hang around. It was our first year in the park last year. Hoping that we have found more reliable stand spots for this year and will have better luck. The drawings are by lotto though so we might not get the same park so it will be square one if that happens.