Home birth mamas?

Options
bushidowoman
bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
Just wondering how many here prefer to birth at home?
After 3 hospital/epidural births and 1 hospital birth with no interventions (other than a saline lock), this will be my 3rd home birth with a midwife. I love my midwives!

Replies

• mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would love to and I would also love to have a water birth but I need a midwife.....and they are few and far between here. I called to get one when I was 4 months pregnant and they laughed at me and said, maybe if I was due in December. So i'm on a waiting list but it sounds like next time i'll just call before i'm pregnant! I am using a doula for support though.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I tried for a homebith with DD#2 and chickened out at the last min :embarassed: (literally). Ended up making it to the hospital just in time to give birth. Why oh why didn't I stay home? I dunno....

With DD#3 I wanted to give it another go, but several things came up. The midwife I wanted was no longer practicing. She referred me to a high risk midwife due to my recurrent m/c and she wasn't accepting new patients. Found another lady, but we just didn't click at all. And then DH lost his job and we moved in with my mom and there was no way I was giving birth in her home...

This time we both discussed it at length and decided to not. Buuuuuuut a part of me wants to try just one more time. I have a midwife who will be doing placenta encapsulation for me, I keep debating about talking to her about homebirth too.
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Since this is our first, we are going the midwife in a hospital route (to try and get the best of both worlds in a sense). After this one, I think I'll be able to convince my hubby to do the birth center route, but I don't think he would be comfortable with a home birth.

My sister did a home birth with her second and everything turned out "great" in her words. I was actually born at home on accident when my went into labor in the bathtub and my dad was out getting his haircut :-)
  • birdslikearms
    birdslikearms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This will be my 3rd homebirth! My first was delivered on my bed and my second was delivered in water, in a tub we rented. Oddly enough I met my first midwife when we were on our honeymoon 2 years before we first got pregnant. She happened to live in the same town as my DH parents, where we lived at the time. We didn't realize that we had met previously until we met up and remembered each other, it was quite funny. She ended up referring us to two midwifes she had helped train as she was retiring. It turned out great as they were younger/having their own kids and I had a better connection with them. One of them has attended both of my homebirths and will attend my 3rd as well.

I think a mother needs to be where she feels the safest when she delivers, so if you want to do a homebirth, you should spend a lot of time reading stories on homebirthing so you get a good idea of what it is like and get comfortable with it. If you chicken out at the last moment, just know that it was meant to be! If you don't feel safe at home, it can actually stall the labor and make it harder on you. Do what is right for you and your baby!