Shakes, Bars, Supplements?

Options
rainbos
rainbos Posts: 75 Member
Can you tell me what supplements you take (with Brand names) and why?

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do fish oil... because every bit of research from at least the last 10 years tells me I should. I didn't really notice any changes until I ran out for a few weeks... then I could "feel" my joints more. Stronger, Faster, Healthier, (SFH) liquid tangerine, 1 tsp or 2.7g/day

Whey protein powder... because I just can't get my protein high enough otherwise. SFH Recovery Natural, 1 scoop on workout days. It has a little Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Creatine, and Glutamine in the mix as well. I've done well with glutamine in the past with recovery and I thought the creatine would help with growth right now.

http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/

Vitamin D3... again, the research is showing that most of us are deficient and the benefits are great. I think this will be more important when I move up north. 1,000mg/day

Magnesium... for bone health, sleeping and blood pressure are bonuses. 1 tsp Nature Calm/night.

Sometimes a multivitamin.
  • rainbos
    Options
    Very helpful thanks! I know there was another helpful post thread on protein but I wanted more info on brands.

So how do you prep the protein powder?
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If it's any use, I'm using the Trader Joe's Soy Protein powder, because I thought I was having trouble getting enough carb free protein.

I tried it with fruit as a post workout shake, but I think it gives me headaches when used like that, so I've gone back to making my own chocolate milk with 2%, cocoa and a banana.

Back to the Soy powder, It's not bad with unsweetened cranberry (Trader Joes again), plus some physillium (sp?) powder that I think has some sweetener in it. The last helps to make it a bit smoother, less watery. It's not bad, but not for when my body needs a proper refueling.

I think I'm trying to say it makes a better supplement than a substitute.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Natural Factors Maxiumum triple strength Rxomega-3 (900 mg x 3 daily)
    Vitamin D in the winter months only (I live in Quebec, we need it up here)
    Chromium Picolinate: I'm insulin resistant and this helps glucose metabolism
    magnesium: again good for pre-diabetics & I have RLS
    I keep protein bars in my gym bag or truck because I always seem to be on the go when it's mealtime. I really like Quest Natural Bars (coconut cashew is AMAZING!) & PureFit bars (PeanutButter)
    My box carries Paleo Kits, so in a pinch I will eat Paleo Krunch or Jerky.
    I take a dash of ready made vanilla flavoured protein shake in my coffee instead of milk/cream (ALLMAX Nutrition)

Been toying with adding a pre-workout supplement. I used to take BCAA & Beta Alanine but found they really had no effect - well, Beta Alanine made my nose itch and run and I was tingly all over.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    While we are talking about supplements. Does anyone have an opinion for or against Advocare supplements? I have a very biased opinion against them (don't worry I'm not looking for a fight). I have a friend whose box pushes Advocare on them and there is a lady (who also does CF) at my boyfriends work that pushes Advocare.

Some (a lot) of yall are some CrossFit Bad A$$es so I want your opinion on Advocare.

As for what I take, glucosamine and calcium. I take the Glucosamine for joints since we do a lot of plyometrics and it tends to be hard on my knees. I also take calcium because since I eat Paleo I've been lacking on my calcium.

Bars - Again I eat Paleo so pretty much paleo kits from my box or lara bars (LOVE the coconut cream pie!!)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Edit. I actually use 5,000 D3, not 1,000.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to take many of shakes, bars, supplements but it made a small result. Therefore, I don't take any of shakes, bars, or supplements. It is totally unnecessary in my opinion because you could get more nutrients from eating a real meal. It is far chepaer by eating a real meal. I learned that bacon is our best ally. A bacon strip is hundred times better than supplements, unless you have a nutrient-deficiency.

http://bacontoday.com/top-10-reasons-bacon-is-actually-healthy-for-you/ is a good start. I read information about bacon's benefits from Primal BluePrint book through several researches. Bacon is the best supplement from my own research.

My muscles grew even more when I started eating bacons, and I am going stay with it. My wife teases me with this say, "Do you know what is your blood type is? Your blood type is bacon and my blood type is coffee!" Hahaha! It is so true!

You could make a homemade fish oil by cooking a salmon to produce the fish's grease and then save those into a glass jar. You could eat the fish's grease with a teaspoon, or you could use it as an oil with your meal. Actually, you could throw the grease on a salad, it is delicious! It's far better than the fish oil pills. Otherwise, you might want to eat a raw salmon. I do that on several times, it is delicious and healthy.

Do you know where those fish oil comes from? Is it from a farmed salmon? It is better if you could get a fish oil that comes from the wild caught salmons (of course it cost more but it is the best as you could get). You probably want to do your homework to research where does those products comes from? Farmed or wild caught? Are they from Pacific (that is something you want to avoid because the fishes in Pacific are high radioactivity from Japan's nuclear crisis)? Do those pills have the unnecessary ingredients that could harm your body?

My secret with my successful diet is to make everything from scratch and know where those products comes from.
  • rainbos
    Options
    Yeah, if you cook bacon very crispy and dried with a paper towel afterwards (I like it almost burnt!) most of the fat is cooked off.
    I guess the same could be said for jerky meat.

Fish oil is definitely good for us. I use natures bounty fish oil, 1200 mg a day. Maybe I should be taking two.

I am not much of a meat eater (just don't like it), so I need to really pay attention to whether I am getting enough protein.