pills!

Options
nikki_att84
nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
do you crush your pills? and do they have the same effect by crushing them?

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I know that some medication cannot be crushed. I have never crushed my pills. I only occasionally have an issue with my Lipitor. As long as I take my time and don't try to take all 7 pills at once I do okay. What does your doctor say about this?
  • nikki_att84
    Options
    my dr says to crush everything..just that i just feel like it doesnt have the same effect!! and if other drs r saying not to crush medication it makes my mind b at ease..when i do take my meds i wont crush!!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the medication. Some should not be crushed.

My synthroid is very small so I never had a problem with it. I started taking gummie vitamins and calcium. It took awhile until I was able to swallow the big fish oil and flax seed tablets, but now I can do it.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have a LapBand, so I have to crush all my pills. I ask the doctor to prescribe crushable pills and double check with the pharmacist to make sure they can be crushed. Most can. Time release pills cannot (and time release pills are usually more expensive anyway).

Of course, they taste disgusting. I used to mix them with applesauce, but that just gives you more disgusting stuff to eat. I usually just chew them and wash them down with Crystal Light.
  • AngelinaBalarina
    Options
    i have one large pill to take daily so i just break it in half works fine
  • nikki_att84
    Options

Of course, they taste disgusting. I used to mix them with applesauce, but that just gives you more disgusting stuff to eat. I usually just chew them and wash them down with Crystal Light.

wow u chew them!! u got courage lol i tried that now i just break it in 2! but it got stuck under my teeth!! yuckky the taste didnt want to go away!
  • jewels68
    jewels68 Posts: 89
    Options
    What what you crush. Some meds are slow acting and you may do harm if you get too much at one time. I have several that say Do not cruch or break.