Welcome!

Options
Glad to have you as part of my group! :)

Replies

• taziwac
    taziwac Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group! Red noses always make me smile, especially after a long, hard day at work or walking the trails.

One of the reasons I decided "now" was the time was when I looked at our Hoochie and saw the problems aging and weight gain were beginning to cause her. She started her diet shortly before I did, but I figured that if I care enough about her to monitor her food and exercise successfully, I can do the same for me.

So far we are both starting to shed a few pounds, and feeling much better.
  • KimmerzB
    KimmerzB Posts: 37
    Options
    Very happy to have you here! Just got back from a run with my boy! His favorite part of the day! :)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this group!! Who can't help but love a breed with a heart shaped head?

Bonnie (profile pic) is my second luvabull. She also appears in a book, "Loveabulls -- Life and Love with Rescued Bullies." She is my second pitgirl. she is a rescue from the Newark, NJ Municipal Shelter, and like too many pits there, had a bad start in life, including forced breeding and fighting (puncture wound scars visible around her face, neck and forepaws). She's lived with us for nearly three years now; and is quite the lady of the house. When we lived in NJ she attended Fiesty Fidos at St. Huberts, to help her overcome her reactiveness to other dogs. She went through first and second levels; and fiesty fidos agility.

She's a brawny girl with a beautiful sable colored coat. I am working with a trainer now so that someday she will achieve the Canine Good Citizenship certificate, like my first pitgirl, Bridget, did. She does very well with all the basic commands/elements of certification, and we are honing her skills so that she is recognized to be the true winner she is.

Her rescue "story" is available on line in the archives of the Newark NJ Animal Shelter.
  • KimmerzB
    Options
    Awesome story and it's just so amazing that this breed can still be so loving after they have had such horrible life experiences. Welcome Buddhasmiracle and Bonnie! :)
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Very cool to have a group with pitty lovers. Mine is 4 years old now, we got him after my hubby fell in love with him. Brought him home at 7 weeks old and never looked back. He is my shadow literally and when he is not with me he is my neighbors shadow.
  • KimmerzB
    Options
    Yes, mine is like Velcro always stuck to me when I'm home...but I wouldn't have it any other way! Love him to pieces!! When I brought him home at 8-weeks my hubby wasn't too happy with me but my little Deuce-man won him over and now 7 years later he has a completely different opinion of the breed. :)
  • Eve23
    Options
    I was the one unsure, however he quickly changed my mind. We had a Basset hound at the time and he would lead him all over the place in the neighborhood we were in. Finally we just couldn't do it anymore and took the Bassett in. Turns out a friend of my daughter picked him up and he turned around and attacked a Rotty. He had been aggressive when we had him but I count myself lucky that we chose to keep Grunt.
  • KimmerzB
    Options
    That's kinda funny an aggressive basset hound...that seems kinda like an oxymoron! :laugh: You know you always think of those dogs being so, well...lazy! Not aggressive, anyway I'm glad It work out.
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    This is such a great group! :) I have a lovely brindle pittie, Layla, and she has been very supportive of my weight loss goals so far. Leisurely walks turn into runs (at a breakneck speed), and her favourite game is following me around the house. She has a lot of energy. :happy:
  • Eve23
    Options
    Hi carolinesmile !! My pittie, Grunt is amazing at helping me get up my monster hill when I get the nerve to go up it. Otherwise he is just happier than punch and excited to go on his walks and see new people and animals.
  • KimmerzB
    Options
    Yes, our fur-babies can be our biggest fans/support when it comes to going for a run or walk! I know mine never says no! In fact he's always ready...rain or shine!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Aedreana here, brand-new to MFP. My 2 dogs are pit bulls, Honeywell and Boston. Both I rescued off the street. Boston was a tiny baby I could hold in one hand in September of 2011, found crying in a patch of weeds by the side of the road. He wa probably the son of one of the neighborhood strays. He is devoted to me wholeheartedly; I am his world. Honeywell I found in Apr. of 2012, on a cold rainy Saturday. He was emaciated, weaving in and out of traffic, drinking from mud puddles.He had been abandoned, discarded like a piece of trash on the side of the road, and undoubtedly shunned and spurned by many passers-by--judging by how overjoyed he was when I stopped and stepped out of the car and knelt down on the ground. He ran to me immediately with a "smile"'on his face. I will never forget that moment as long as I live! He followed me into the car. He climbed into my lap, licking my face and I told him, "You won me over." Both of my dogs are indoor dogs, which was a "pit bulls in a china shop" situation when they were puppies in their chewing phase! Now they are both 2 years old and right now barking and growling at the thunderstorm brewing outside! Boston is black with white chest and throat and a narrow white streak on his snout, with mostly white toes on his hind feet, and has very dark brown eyes. Honeywell is yellow and has two white toes on his right hind foot. His eyes are amber-brown. He has filled out fully and is heavier than Boston now, taller with longer legs and a larger frame. My pit bulls are what makes my life worth living.