Day 1 - Now I'm different!

Options
Fattack
Fattack Posts: 666 Member
Well done everybody for getting on board, and thank you for joining. I always do so much better when I run challenges so you're all helping me too - and I hope I can help you all too!

Today is all about accepting change. We may have struggled before, but as of today, we're going to take a step to change our attitudes. It's all about recognising our old unhealthy attitudes towards food and diet, and accepting that as of this very moment, we can be different, healthy and well!

SO - the tasks for today's challenge.

1. Make a list of any fears or negative behaviours that have hurt your weight-loss success in the past. Read each one aloud and say "I used to be that way but now I'm different."
2. Write new endings for them by completing this sentence: I used to ______(fill in your old behaviour) but now I _______ (write your new ending here).
3. Post them here to complete the daily challenge!

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1. I used to not plan my food properly, and miss meals / not eat regularly. As a result, I'd eat unhealthy food on the fly, simply because it was convenient and I was hungry. Now, I plan my meals better, and eat regularly, even if I don't really feel hungry yet, in order to avoid snacking on something "fast" later.

2. This is kind of linked with my first point. If hungry, I'd grab something convenient (example: ham & cheese croissant at the supermarket). Now, I have healthy snacks to hand in case I get peckish.

3. I used to avoid going to the gym. I suppose I was nervous because it would mean facing how unfit I have become since being a total gym bunny last year. Now, I go regularly, because hey, if I don't start going now, I'm never going to get back to optimum fitness.

4. I used to go off plan entirely and not log. Now, I log every day, even if it's an unhealthy day.

5. Linked to point 4, I used to use social events as an excuse to blow off the entire day, or even longer! Now, I am accountable for the entire day and if I think a day will be difficult, I do extra exercise during the day, and increase calories to maintenance (or less) for that day ONLY. Straight back on track to to my lower calorie intake the next day!
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. I used to think that falling off the wagon for one day meant the whole week was ruined, and that I may as well continue to make poor choices - but now I draw a line under the mistake, try to understand why I slipped up, and move on.

2. I used to worry that whatever I did, I'd never get the body that I really wanted, so I gave up before I saw true results. Now I'm resolved to stick to a program until I get what I deserve - and to remember that I'm not some kind of freak medical miracle doomed to fattydom forever!

3. I used to think food was the only way to comfort or treat myself, but now I reward myself in other ways and try to be very conscious of the times that I feel need to eat something to feel happier.

4. I used to be scared to look at my body in the full length mirror because I hated what I saw so much, but now I'm determined to face up to it, take progress pictures and try to be kinder to myself, understanding that it's a long process and every day I'm looking a little tiny bit better :)
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    1. I used to lose faith and give up when my weight plateaued. Now I understand that I just need to be patient, and all my hard work is still improving my health, fitness and body fat percentage even if the scales aren't moving.

2. I used to snack on things that claimed to be low fat that I thought were healthy - eg, yoghurts, cereal bars etc. Now I've realised they are really high in sugar and swap them for other things.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    1. I used to have absolutely no self-confidence. Because of that if I went out to any parties/weddings whatever, I used to spend my time at the buffet table so that I didn't have to talk to anyone. Now I eat before I go and do my damnedest to find someone to talk to.

2. I used to think exercise was for fit people. The idea that I could go running, if only for a short time was laughable to me and that stopped me from trying for years. These days I'll go, I accept that I'll never run a marathon but every run I do is one run more than I thought I would ever do.

3.I used to think the next town was too far too walk to. Ha! Now I do that walk 2-3 times a week and look for longer walks to go on.

4. I used to think there was nothing I could do about my weight and now I realise there is plenty I can do. I just have to want to do it. No excuses
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    1. I used to make excuses to just sit on the couch and be lazy, now i will do those chores or do that workout because i know it makes me feel better

2. I used to snack on unhealthy things like chocolate and give myself the ok for going over calories for it (im maintaining so going over one day is ok right?) now i will choose something healthy first, or fit the unhealthy chocolate in my plan for the day first.

3. I used to forget to drink and be under on fluid intake. Now i will keep a bottle of water next to me at all times and dedicate myself to drinking 2 liters of water / tea again.
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. I used to use my celiacs as an excuse - if I couldn´t have what others were eating I could have a piece of plain chocolate or make something else nice (and full of sugar/fat) for myself. Now I know that if I am strong willed enough to not eat gluten than I can be strong willed enough to eat healthy. I chose fruit, nuts or veggies instead. I freeze what I bake in smaller portions (right away) instead of eating it. And I CHOOSE what I am going to eat instead of just eating.

2. I used to make excuses that I couldn´t run or do alot of exercises because I was too tired or it was embarrassing that I got so out of breath or couldn´t run as far or as long as others. Now I know that I get more energy from doing these things. I can run longer every day and people who see me running probably just don´t care if I´m running slow or taking a few minutes of walking. As long as I´m doing it. For me - who cares what they think anyways!

3. I used to try to lose weight by starving myself for a few weeks and then always fell back to bad habits as soon as I got tired of the crash diets that promised I would lose 10 kg in a month. Now I plan my meals, snacks and my exercise. I know this is working and I know I´m bound for the long run, so if I eat a few extra calories one day than I know this means I have to go for a walk, ride my stationary while watching tv or run. If I am going out, then I eat healthy before and allow myself to enjoy myself - well aware that I have to continue my new life choices as soon as I get home! I also know that the scale is not measuring my succes alone. I can measure my succes in many ways...running for 10 min. without being tired...seeing my cheekbones, collarbones and chin :) ....feeling my clothing fitting me and being able to buy a tight sitting t-shirt in a size M....having twentyish guys honk at me while I´m out running. The list goes on :)
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used to not concentrate on what I am eating but now I am different I will pause and think if the food I eat is when I am hungry and nourishing.

I used to not be active but now I will strive to get 10,000 steps daily.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am a day late on this - yesterday was a bit CRAZY!!

1. I used to weigh everyday and let the number on the scale define who I was but now I not let that number define me - I am Billy's wife, Amanda's mom, Reid's GranDee, Yvonne and Hal's daughter, an active member in my church, a good friend to many, a neighbor - I AM so much more than a number.

2. I used to use food to feed my emotions but now I use food to fuel my body. This one is still a work in progress. I used to eat when happy, sad, angry, bored, any emotion now I try to find another outlet for the emotion and only eat when actually hungry to fuel my body.
  • trimNslim
    trimNslim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1. I used to always think, 'i'll start tomorrow', but i never did! I would turn one bad day into several bad months of eating everything i could! I now plan my meals and if i do have treats (which i do) i dont let it ruin how far i've come and i can draw a line under it.

2. I used to avoid exercise like the plauge...but now i have been going to my local gym for nearly 8months, i have done bootcamp style training and i have even attempted the odd jog or two. I have a loooooong way to go but i feel the fittest i have in a long time. My over all goal is to run a mile without stopping, then go from there!

3. I used to think of every excuse under the sun to justify my weight and lazy ways! But now i know that there is no excuse!

:)