Today was my birthday...GF cake...YUCK!

Options
2»

Replies

• Heather_A
    Heather_A Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Unlike Momof8, I actually can't stand Betty Crocker's GF mixes, they tasted like cardboard and had the texture of corn bread (which was really weird)...

We made some BC GF cupcakes using that mix just a few weeks ago and I thought the same thing... like cornbread. The brownies (I think they are BC) are delis though.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    An update from me, the bakery I tried was okay, but not great, so will keep looking and have to say I discovered an interesting thing while I was there. I got a vanilla and a chocolate cupcake (I'm not a fan of chocolate, but was craving it that day) and I like the taste and texture of the chocolate better than the vanilla. My mom made cupcakes for me with the BC GF chocolate mix and I thought they were pretty good, my dad even liked them!
    So, I say: keep trying the bakeries, the boxed mixes, and your own mixes, you'll find something you like.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have made GF cup cakes, spice cake, chocolate chips cookies, anise cookies, and gnocchi (yes, I know that is not a baked good). No one knew the difference.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I think the moral is, there are some tasty options. It does take a bit of experimenting, either with mixes or from scratch. I've tried a lot of winners and a few that were "meh." Our family, personally, really like the Betty Crocker mixes, but I know a friend made one and even though she bakes a lot, she WAY overcooked it and it came out with that weird texture someone else mentioned. Whenever I've made them they've been great. Also, people have very different tastes for the different flours. My hubby REALLY dislikes teff, for example.

Don't be afraid to experiment, and don't be discouraged if one is a disappointment. And frankly, yeah, the ones from bakeries we've tried have NOT been good. Which is also too bad because someone else got them and they were so excited and you're like, "gee, um, thanks." *gag*
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I used to cater cupcakes for parties until I was diagnosed with Celiac.... that was the saddest moment for me. BUT I did do a graduation party for a gluten free graduate, and I made the most amazing flourless chocolate cupcakes. You can see a pic on my blog here: http://lesliecooksand.tumblr.com/page/5

My belief is that most gluten free processed stuff is gross.... most gluten free flour is gross.... BUT there are so many naturally gluten free options out there!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    We have a wonderful bakery that makes gluten free, vegan and soya free cakes and are amazing. I dont buy very often as I will eat a whole cake - the chocolate one is fantastic especially if you wack it in the microwave for a minute.
  • sabek
    sabek Posts: 8
    Options
    Big fan of the BC cake mixes myself.
    One the things I miss most is my aunt's Lemon pound cake.

So I took the BC white cake mix and made myself a lemon variant that my family really enjoys.
    I zest one lemon into the mix, and then instead of the 2/3 cup of water I use the juice of 2 lemons and soda water to bring it to 2/3 cup.

I went with soda water because my complain with most GF baked goods is that they tend to be very dense because they lack the structure provided by the gluten. I was shooting for something similar to tempura where you use something with carbonation to make a lighter batter for deep frying. It seems to work well for me.

I have done it with vanilla frosty and also with lemon frosting. Both are very yummy and don't tend to last long at my house.
    The real issue is fitting into my daily calorie goals. :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Big fan of the BC cake mixes myself.
    One the things I miss most is my aunt's Lemon pound cake.

So I took the BC white cake mix and made myself a lemon variant that my family really enjoys.
    I zest one lemon into the mix, and then instead of the 2/3 cup of water I use the juice of 2 lemons and soda water to bring it to 2/3 cup.

I went with soda water because my complain with most GF baked goods is that they tend to be very dense because they lack the structure provided by the gluten. I was shooting for something similar to tempura where you use something with carbonation to make a lighter batter for deep frying. It seems to work well for me.

I have done it with vanilla frosty and also with lemon frosting. Both are very yummy and don't tend to last long at my house.
    The real issue is fitting into my daily calorie goals. :)
    Sounds really good, I may have to try this, have been in a citrus mode lately....
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can certainly make a better cake at home. I use my own flour mix from the "artisan gluten free cooking" cook book (I LOVE IT) or Pamela's Flour mixes. You can make a killer Almond Flour Cake or Flourless Chocolate lava cake without it being a tonne of work, too. And they are GOOD!

If you can (I am not sure what part of the country you are in), you can mail-order cakes from some shops. There is one here in Oregon (in Lake Oswego, actually) called Crave Bakery. They were on the Cooking Channel's Cupcake Wars and they WON against other wheaty cupcakes. They are SUPER good, and she will make full-sized cakes to order. Not sure about the shipping part, but it's worth a try. The prices are worth the hype. All of the items I have had there are fantastic.

As an aside - I just saw this post on another thread and Thought I'd share the link:

Baked peanut butter oatmeal - sub the oats for gluten free ones and it's good to go!
    http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/05/peanut-butter-baked-oatmeal.html
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Bob's red mill too. Their chocolate cake is to die for!!!! my family even loved it better then the regular store mixes
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Good mixes:

Namaste Spice Cake
    Anything Pamelas
    Most things chocolate or otherwise strongly flavored (consistency turns out better than vanilla somehow, & vanilla does a poor job of masking stronger flour flavors like bean flours)

While we're at it, I love Pamela's bread mix and the Gluten Free Pantry pie crust mix.

Whole Foods sometimes has pretty good gf stuff.

Some of this stuff, you can get through amazon.com's subscribe and save program and its a lot cheaper that way.
  • Eadne
    Eadne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The best gluten free cake ever: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_roulade_79152

It has the taste and texture of cake despite the complete absence of flour in the recipe. It's impossible to describe how good it is... someone made it for me and I honestly questioned whether it was actually gluten free! The basic cake roll can be decorated as a Yule log, a caterpillar cake, a steam train cake, or simply with cream/fruit/chocolate. This cake with change your life :D
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, I don't eat a lot of cake or cookies. However, there is a great gf bakery that I go to about once a month. If you're in the Chicago area you should look up Rose's gf bakery in Evanston. I didn't like the bread, but the cake and some of the cookies are the best.

Also, I have a cookbook that uses almond flour (Elena's Pantry), it has the best recipes ever.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've used both the yellow and the chocolate Hodgson's Mill (http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/Gluten-Free-Chocolate-Cake-Mix/71518-02135-001_Group-1.aspx) and everyone liked it.

We tried the Betty Crocker GF mix and found it salty.

I agree with others, make it yourself.

We discovered a restaurant that serves some delicious GF cakes, including one that's Vegan, but in general our local GF bakery is crap. We discovered the Hodgson's Mill mixes and LOVE them! The ones I tried (yellow and chocolate) also don't have soy in them which is key for us since my husband is also allergic to soy.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    my mum made gluten free cherry cheesecake and berry muffins for my birthday a week ago and they turned put delicious. i never buy premade stuff anymore cause they taste really weird. the one's i've tasted anyways.
  • khbut
    khbut Posts: 10
    Options
    I've made good and bad it's just trial and error.
    my parents have come over a couple of times with a piece of gf cake from a bakery they found selling it and it was just like cake should be.
    Did you're husband complain to the bakery that it wasn't the white fluffy cake he asked for and fell apart,they should be able to make a good gf cake if they are going to sell them to the public..it was a shame is happened for you're birthday. Hope you get a better one next year.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I make all my baked goods myself, I find that store bought just isn't very good. I also find that so far pound cake and brownie recipes translate the best. The trick is finding the right flour mix to get a good consistency and color. For me, I like 50% rice flour and 50% sorghum flour, and don't ever forget the xanthun (sp) gum. I find that my mix works pretty well 1 for 1 in recipes that call for wheat flour.