Day 1 Mini Challenge

Options
lottieloves85
lottieloves85 Posts: 73 Member
Hey guys!

Let's kick off the Big Challenge with a great first day goal....

DRINK NOTHING BUT WATER

That's right! No tea, coffee, soda, alcohol....let's start as we mean to go on and flush out some toxins! :)

Recommended water intake is usually 8 glasses, however for weight loss it is slightly more. I used an online calculator to work out that I should be drinking at least 2 litres of water a day to aid my weight loss! Here's the science bit...

Water and Weight Loss
Water can be beneficial to weight loss by reducing fluid retention, giving the feeling of fullness when consumed with a meal, promoting proper bowel function and preventing constipation, as well as keeping joints and muscles hydrated and healthy for physical activity. A 2008 study in the "Journal of the American Dietetic Association" revealed that when obese adults were given 500 ml of water prior to a breakfast meal, they consumed 13 percent less as compared to obese adults who did not consume water before the meal. In addition, a 2010 study in the journal "Obesity" that placed overweight adults on a hypocaloric diet with or without consuming 500 ml of water prior to each meal found that those in the water group showed a 44 percent greater decline in body weight over 12 weeks than those who did not drink water before meals.
The Mayo Clinic recommends consuming water before and after exercise as well as every 15 minutes during, with an additional 1.5 to 2.5 cups of water consumed for short bouts of exercise, and more than 2.5 cups for extended exercise sessions of an hour or more. Pregnant women are recommended to consume 10 cups of water daily, while those breastfeeding should consume about 13 cups of water daily.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/408499-the-importance-of-drinking-water-while-dieting/#ixzz1zRvVFEE5

So you can either set yourself a personal goal for your water intake today, or go online and have a calculator figure it out for you based on your weight.

I have decided to challenge myself (seeing as that is what this month is all about!) and go for a THREE LITRE intake today! Woweee, that is a lot of toilet time! Haha

Good Luck everyone! xx

Replies

• holley75
    holley75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I did the online thing and mine calculated to 3 liters. I drank 12 cups (8 oz) yesterday. With 33 oz in a Liter looks like I barely almost made it. Will set this as a personal goal for today as well.
  • lottieloves85
    Options
    12:30pm UK time and I'm half a litre down! Only 2.5 more to go.....
  • SRitzy
    SRitzy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm on for the water challenge today! I washed out my 2 lt diet Pepsi bottle & filled it with water so I can keep track of my intake while at work. CHEERS! :drinker:
  • danyeld619
    danyeld619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! I struggle with water intake.
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok. I didn't see this before I had my morning iced coffee (no coffee, no workee). However I am now getting ready to start in on my Liter of water. As it's only 8:40 am, I should be able to finish 4 of these today. BOTTOMS UP! :drinker:
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,244 Member
    Options
    Great first challenge...and exactly what I need to help with my water intake. I'm dividing my weight by 2 and that will be my consumption for the day (112 oz) . It's a good thing I'm off work today...need to be close to the bathroom. On my way to workout with Jillian. Starting my second week of Body Revolution. Good luck to everyone!!!
  • shm1289
    shm1289 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a water bottle that is 1.5 litres to help me with my water intake. I would highly recommend this if you struggle with drinking a lot of water. It's made it a lot easier for me not having to guess how many ounces are in the cups I have at home and having something I can take with me everywhere. Just a suggestion, but this has worked really well for me!
  • lottieloves85
    Options
    That's a great idea ^^^^ Thanks for sharing!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What about milk?! I already had a glass of milk and a protein shake before I saw this. I drink about 2 glasses of milk a day and I'm not sure I'd like to cut that out. But I will try not to drink any tea today and stick to water :) Going to be a long day at work so this could be a tough one!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    done and done. i love this group already. i miss challenges.
  • Newlyfe74
    Newlyfe74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge! I need to drink 128 oz or a gallon per day to meet my weight loss goals. We can do this! So drink up!!
  • lottieloves85
    Options
    What about milk?! I already had a glass of milk and a protein shake before I saw this. I drink about 2 glasses of milk a day and I'm not sure I'd like to cut that out. But I will try not to drink any tea today and stick to water :) Going to be a long day at work so this could be a tough one!

Hark15 - Good point, I hadn't thought about this as I don't drink it! It's up to you, if it's something you don't want to cut out then that's fine, I won't make you stand in the naughty corner! Protein shakes are classed as a meal in my book so they're ok :)
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    3 (8 oz) glasses of water down so far this morning, but water has been my beverage of choice for years, so it's not going to be hard for me to do this today! I did have 8 oz. of milk on my shredded wheat this morning, but I count that as part of my food intake, since the shredded wheat absorbs it before it even hit my mouth, and I didn't drink it as a beverage.
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    oops! I already had my morning coffee! But that will be it and now water the rest of the day! This is great so I am aiming for 10-12 cups of water!!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Hark15 - Good point, I hadn't thought about this as I don't drink it! It's up to you, if it's something you don't want to cut out then that's fine, I won't make you stand in the naughty corner! Protein shakes are classed as a meal in my book so they're ok :)

Good point on the protein shakes! I will probably keep my milk since its more food (just like eating some cheese or yogurt, right?!). I will just stay away from tea and any sort of soda/juice today! So far I have had 7 cups of water already and its just about noon. Here's hoping I can keep it up the rest of the day and not get too distracted :)

Good luck all :)
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Love the water challenge!! Going to work on 75 oz today....1/2 of my body weight!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've drunk 1.5litres today so far, and its 5.50pm, so will get more in :-)
  • b1essed
    b1essed Posts: 18
    Options
    H2Ohhhhhhhhhh so good!!!!!!! Let's do it!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    Options
    Shoot! I read this to late in the day. Already had coffee and diet soda. I will finish the day with at least 64 ounces of water. ;-)
  • ang_stauff
    ang_stauff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    this is gonna be a challenge for me...i get up at 330am for work in the morning and have a newborn so coffee is a neccesity that im not sure im ready to cut out just yet lol but I am going to work hard on only drinking 1 cup a day with fatfree cream and equal and drinking water the rest of the time