What's too much to pay for training?

Options
I live in San Diego and am looking for a personal trainer. There are always specials offered at my gym (LA Fitness), but I feel like they hire sales people not trainers. And I feel like they are not the most experienced. I found a little neighborhood gym near my work and they gave me a price of $1800.00 for 3 months. It's for 3 sessions per week, total of 36...so it breaks down to $50/session.

Question is: Does this seem like a decent rate for an experienced trainer? The cost includes the gym membership.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    $50/session that includes gym membership seems ok to me. If it were me, I'd want to have a chat with the trainer about my goals, and what they think of them. If the trainer starts going on about nutrition but doesn't actually have any qualifications to that end, I might be a little skeptical depending on what they say. Also I would think that a trainer would be ok with supplying references, etc, though I would probably feel awkward about asking that kind of question.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    is that for an hour? It seems to be about the standard going rate. I used to have a personal trainer for 45-60 minutes that was only 30 per session (and no up front commitment) but I was also working out of her garage which meant no gym access outside of personal training.

Actually, since they are making you pay SO much in advance I think its a little high, I'd see if you can talk them down (They might be negotiable). And also find out if you can change personal trainers if you don't like the one that is assigned to you - and if you can cancel and get some of your money back if you can't change. In fact, see if they will let you have a couple single pay sessions up front to see if you like the trainer you'd be working with -- tell them you don't mind the 3 months and you are very interested but you want to make sure you mesh first. If they are serious about being good trainers they will be more than happy to do it. If they refuse, they are just trying to take your money.

(and seriously its a LOT of commitment to make in advance to a small gym that could just pack up and leave at any time and take your money with them. did they not offer any other pricing?)
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    is that for an hour? It seems to be about the standard going rate. I used to have a personal trainer for 45-60 minutes that was only 30 per session (and no up front commitment) but I was also working out of her garage which meant no gym access outside of personal training.

Actually, since they are making you pay SO much in advance I think its a little high, I'd see if you can talk them down (They might be negotiable). And also find out if you can change personal trainers if you don't like the one that is assigned to you - and if you can cancel and get some of your money back if you can't change. In fact, see if they will let you have a couple single pay sessions up front to see if you like the trainer you'd be working with -- tell them you don't mind the 3 months and you are very interested but you want to make sure you mesh first. If they are serious about being good trainers they will be more than happy to do it. If they refuse, they are just trying to take your money.

(and seriously its a LOT of commitment to make in advance to a small gym that could just pack up and leave at any time and take your money with them. did they not offer any other pricing?)

all good points.
  • TheRealJohnnyDelWalker
    Options
    points well taken. they actually said that they will work with me on the billing, could be monthly not all up front. It's a new owner in the gym and I think he cleaned house of all the old people and brought in his own staff.

I've had people tell me not to waste my money on training, and others say it's totally worth it to get the results your after.

Thanks!
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    I really liked my trainer. He taught me a lot of stuff, and was really motivating during workouts. I was able to take that with me when our time was up. So for me it was worth it. *Could* I have done it by myself? Technically yes, but I was satisfied with the service I received for the money I paid. That's all that really matters for me.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I really liked my trainer. He taught me a lot of stuff, and was really motivating during workouts. I was able to take that with me when our time was up. So for me it was worth it. *Could* I have done it by myself? Technically yes, but I was satisfied with the service I received for the money I paid. That's all that really matters for me.

I really liked mine too - I think I stuck with her for about 3-6 months. I'd say the best things I got out of it were:

1) getting used to the idea of a workout schedule - now I don't just go "when I can squeeze it in", I go on a super regular 3x a week schedule to the gym and I'm committed to that schedule, I only skip a day for special occasions. Although, in between leaving her and starting my current program I slacked off pretty hard for about a month ...but still, once I got back on track I was totally used to the fact that I had to give up 3 of my evenings to the gym lords.

2) teaching me proper form on some things that I use now - especially squatting and power cleans. I've seen like 4 people in my weight room total who know how to squat, the others are doing either half squats or really dangerous bad form squats (or never set foot near the squat rack). Sure you can THEORETICALLY learn to do this from videos and what not (and I have learned lots of other things since I had my trainer just by reading) but there is a big difference between watching a video then trying to imitate it and having someone put their hands against your knees and say "your knees are going too far forward, they should stop here" or "you lean forward a little too much when you get to the bottom of your squat, hold your back straight". You don't need someone to do this for you FOREVER but its pretty useful in the beginning. (And now I have a workout partner do it for me).

Corollary to 2) -- I feel like I know what I'm doing so I walk into the weight room with confidence. Although again a lot of this is from my own reading.

3) She'd watch me do a lift and say "I think that's getting too light for you, lets move up" right about when I'd be thinking "ahh this is awesome, I am so strong and powerful!" -- Plus we could do some negative motions that you can't do alone.

At this point I don't think I'd go BACK to personal training - I have my own program I'm following and I'm good at judging when I should and shouldn't' add weight, I'm pretty good at being honest about my form (and now I have my workout buddy to keep me honest), and I'm ok at pushing myself. (usually by tricking myself into it but whatever works).

It was valuable and useful. Totally necessary? No. Long term plan? No. But really good for confidence and learning various movements (I mean, most of the guys in my weight room don't even do bicep curls right but they THINK they do).

Also be honest with them about how much work you will do without them and what kind - mine used to include more of a cardio component in her workouts (like some agility work and stuff) but when i told her I was doing C25K on my own and cared more about strength training she shifted her plan for me. You should feel like you are getting a tailored plan for you, not the same plan they'd give anyone.
  • footdoc6
    footdoc6 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pay $35 for a half hour, twice per week and that is enough for me, he also offers $60 for an hour, so yours is a good deal if you like the trainer. I would go meet with one or a few to see which one you would work well with. I told my trainer I want to be pushed but in the "Bob" way and not the "Jillian" way. He is great though and pushes me harder than I would push myself and I have been with him for over a year and a half, but these 6 months I have really watched my diet and worked harder and lost 16lbs. So def. worth it if you get along with the trainer, b/c I know I didn't have the drive or knowledge to do it myself.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is reasonable. I'd try before I buy, though. Three or five sessions to get a good feel before you invest.

Alternately, you could try on your own and get a trainer when our if you plateau. That worked for me when I had a gym membership (thinking of starting again to do weight training once I'm at goal).
  • tameko2
    Options
    That is reasonable. I'd try before I buy, though. Three or five sessions to get a good feel before you invest.

Alternately, you could try on your own and get a trainer when our if you plateau. That worked for me when I had a gym membership (thinking of starting again to do weight training once I'm at goal).

Why wait? Weight train now - you're only 20 lbs from goal, that's more than close enough to start weight training. IF nothing else it will help preserve muscle while you get to goal.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lol...true. We're moving in two months and have a baby on the way, so I know I can't make use of a membership...but I have some barbells calling from the basement!