Would you buy this?

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
http://www.amazon.com/BébéSounds-Angelcare-Movement-Monitor-Parents/dp/B0000E262S

I'm seriously debating..I think it would give me a little more peace of mind and maybe I could sleep a little. Just wanting your opinions!

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It is on my registry.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No. I wouldn't. You will need your rest and listening to every tiny movement will keep you up, rather than let you sleep. Also, some kids don't move around much while some never stop moving. I know it is overwhelming to think about, but this seems like a whole new level of sleep paranoia.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    You don't have to listen to movements if you don't want. There is an option just for the alarm as well. It seems it is not that much more expensive as I would be purchasing monitors either way
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    It seems like a lot to pay for a monitor, frankly. Granted, I have two other children so I might have a different point of view than you or others who are having their first. I do know that some babies move around alot. So the pressure alarm would go off for no reason. Then you have a panicked household with an awake baby. I ended up using the monitor rarely inmy house. For one thing, hungry babies are loud. You will get up. Also, they are right down the hall. Rushing to check on them every time they make a sound is kind of useless.
    Anyway. Get it, if you feel like you reeeeaaaaly want it. In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it. I would rather spend the money on other things
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot to pay for a monitor, frankly. Granted, I have two other children so I might have a different point of view than you or others who are having their first. I do know that some babies move around alot. So the pressure alarm would go off for no reason. Then you have a panicked household with an awake baby. I ended up using the monitor rarely inmy house. For one thing, hungry babies are loud. You will get up. Also, they are right down the hall. Rushing to check on them every time they make a sound is kind of useless.
    Anyway. Get it, if you feel like you reeeeaaaaly want it. In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it. I would rather spend the money on other things

THIS!!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I was a nanny several years ago the baby had one of these under her. I was the one that would wake up with her at night and each time u take them out of the crib u had to turn the monitor off. Well there was a few times I'd forget to and the alarm would go off and I'd give the mom a panic attack and she'd come running in the room. It didn't help much other then giving the mom a heart attack every time the baby was off of it. I never used one for my kids. I think if u will be getting a monitor get a normal video monitor instead.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think you guys have the wrong idea of this monitor. I just looked it up and its looks like it works like a regular monitor but will beep on your end if the baby does NOT move for a certain amount of time. As a soon to be first time mom myself i really like this. I know my mom told me she was up constantly trying to make sure all 4 of us kids were breathing. SHe said she never got sleep the first couple of months. This seems to take care of you for it. I think its a good idea and i may look into buying it myself
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    You don't get any sleep the first few months, regardless. :) I'll stick with my instincts on this one.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting just a regular monitor and not the one posted in the link. It just seems like too much and really we are going to need sleep when we can get it.... But if it's what you want then get it because the deicision is totally up to you. :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I would just get a regular monitor (thus cheaper) if your baby will be napping/sleeping more than just down the hall. I have two boys ages 2.5yo and 10mo and have never used a monitor because my house is small enough I hear them when they wake. Plus, they were in my room until they were about 9 months old so I could see them and check on them easily. And like another mama said - you won't get a much sleep those first couple months anyway. :smile:
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you plan on having the baby in a separate room then you should buy it if it will bring you peace of mind. This monitor senses "breathing movement", its not to see if the baby is tossing and turning is just if the baby seems to stop breathing it will let you know. I used to be a heavy sleeper and I was scared that I would never hear DD. DD has roomed with me since the day she was born and you'll be surprise how you manage to hear/sense every movement that comes from their crib. But like you said you want peace of mind and that is priceless!!
  • chickybuns
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the opinions. I am undecided if he will be in our room, probably at first at night. I think I am borrowing a cradle from my aunt. But I will probably put him in the crib during other times of the day when I am awake.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a bassinet or cradle for the first few months? If so then this would be kinda pointless. My babies always stay in the room with me for the first 3 months. They wake every 1 1/2-2hrs for feedings and it is so much easier having them next to you in a bassinet. So no monitor needed. I didn't even use a monitor at all with my last baby. By the time she was in her own room I was used to waking for her cries and her room was directly across the hall and I could hear her just fine without a monitor.

However with that said...if it gives you peace of mind go for it. I honestly think it is unnecessary...but I remember being a first time mom and needed extra little things to help me feel comfortable.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I think it's a cradle, and I will probably use it until I go back to work, but like I said he will be in his crib during the day as well.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have one! (not the exact one) but I would get one! I used it a lot when my daughter was a baby.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in late here...

I had friends who purchased this, and they had 2 problems with it: Their baby wasn't big enough at first, so the thing couldn't detect baby's movements, and the alarm would go off. Also, if baby wasn't centered on it perfectly, it would set the alarm off.

I seriously contemplated it too, but I think I'll just go with a regular sound monitor. I worry too much as it is!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I decided to just go with a nice video monitor. Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This one has good reviews, I might buy it. Again, it's to tell you whether the baby is breathing/moving so essentially it's a SIDS detector in addition to a monitor. Sleeping in the same room with them doesn't mean you'll notice when they stop breathing, and it will certainly be too late next time you check on them even though it's extremely frequent. But I'm a paranoid medical professional who has coded babies, so I'm not really looking at statistics. The chance that it will be needed is low, but it can give you peace of mind. It's the same reason we decided to do cord blood. Extra bucks for peace of mind is worth it to me
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    We have ordered this mainly on reviews from friends who have it. They havent had mainy false alarms (maybe 2 in 9 months). They both have it set on low sound and it just flashes to show baby is breathing.

A friend of a friend had the alarm sound and baby was not breathing when they went in to her room. As they picked her up she gasped and started breathing - Im unsure if this monitor saved the baby (as she could have just been holding her breath and been fine), but I just want it for peace of mind really.

Helen
  • Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We didn't even use a monitor for #2 at night and wont be this time either. Our room isn't far from the nursery and they sleep in our room until a couple of months anyway. I sleep light and have always heard baby.