What's a good Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
SarahFox1118
SarahFox1118 Posts: 21 Member
Hi guys!

So I obviously NEED to get a HR monitor. I don't have one yet and as it's a bit of an investment, I wanted to check in with all of you here to see if anyone could suggest a fairly affordable (under $100. Less is better) one that's good quality. Bells and whistles are nice if I would actually use them. Otherwise they just complicate things. I don't mind paying a little extra for an extra tool or three that I'll use regularly. (i.e. body fat %, pedometer, stopwatch, whatever.)

So, what works for you?

Replies

• shoelovinshelly
    Options
    Hi Sarah! I use a heart rate monitor that's an app on my iphone . . .best part is, it's FREE. I'm sure there are plenty of higher quality, but this seems to work just fine. Big 5 Sporting Goods has the wrist watch kind for right about $100 if you prefer that style. Good luck!

Michelle
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! I use a heart rate monitor that's an app on my iphone . . .best part is, it's FREE. I'm sure there are plenty of higher quality, but this seems to work just fine. Big 5 Sporting Goods has the wrist watch kind for right about $100 if you prefer that style. Good luck!

Michelle

How does your phone read your heart rate?
  • degan2011
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I obviously NEED to get a HR monitor. I don't have one yet and as it's a bit of an investment, I wanted to check in with all of you here to see if anyone could suggest a fairly affordable (under $100. Less is better) one that's good quality. Bells and whistles are nice if I would actually use them. Otherwise they just complicate things. I don't mind paying a little extra for an extra tool or three that I'll use regularly. (i.e. body fat %, pedometer, stopwatch, whatever.)

So, what works for you?

I have a polar F6. Have had it for years. I can even swim with it on. (waterproof to 30 meters or something) Polar makes a good product.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar F4. I think it was about $65 on Amazon...I have been very happy with it. I"m like you...I didn't need it to have alot of bells and whistles...I use it for heart rate (DUH!) and calorie expenditure.
    good luck!
  • SarahFox1118
    SarahFox1118 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did anyone find the chest strap uncomfortable? I'd hoped I could find one without a strap, but they seem really rare. I haven't been able to find one. I'm guessing they'd be super expensive, too. :(
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've heard the chest straps are most reliable. It is a bit annoying...but you get used to it...and its worth it to get a decent read on cals burned and heart rate.

Did anyone find the chest strap uncomfortable? I'd hoped I could find one without a strap, but they seem really rare. I haven't been able to find one. I'm guessing they'd be super expensive, too. :(
    [/quote]
  • degan2011
    Options

I don't find the chest strap a problem. It fits right under my sports bra chest elastic so sometimes I forget it's there. I wear it for hours when I am doing yard work and such.
  • lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F11 that I got fairly cheap on eBay, and I love it! I don't think they make the F11 anymore. That's why I think it's a good idea to check eBay, especially if you're price-conscious. And I don't even notice the chest strap when I'm working out.
  • dmgwalsh
    dmgwalsh Posts: 11
    Options
    I've got the polar F7 that seems to work quite well. I got it on ebay.