Gift Registry?

Options
jls8209
jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
I hate creating gift registries because I feel like I'm saying, "Hey look everyone! This is all the stuff I want you to buy for me!". However, I know shower guests appreciate them (I know I do), so I need to get one started. My mom is hosting a shower for me when I'm home mid-summer, and people have already been asking her what I need (everything!) and if I've registered yet. I have a very small registry of mostly fun/cute stuff at a cool baby boutique where I live, but since I live away from home I thought I'd put the necessities on a Babies R Us registry as that store is also accessible to my family and friends at home.

What are some must-have items I should include, and what are some items that can be left off (ie. you thought you'd need it, but really didn't)? I'd really appreciate some tips from experienced moms! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also need this info! Thanks for posting!!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ugh....I'm struggling with my registry right now....So overwhelming. Babys R Us has a starter list on there that you could use as a guideline.

One of my friends said not to put too many clothes on there because they grow so fast and you will find you will have clothes you don't even use for the newborn. Or if you do put clothes...put various sizes so that everyone is not buying the same sizes.

Also I was told not to stock up on newborn diapers...because some babies don't even fit into them right off the bat.

Many mentioned that baby bottles are touch and go as some babies don't take to a certain nipples and you may have to go through different types so not to stock up on one specific kind until the baby is born and you test try what you have if you are not breastfeeding. Same with soothers because they may be or may not be too small for the babies face.

I hope this helps a bit....I'm still working on my stuff.

Good luck! I hope to hear from some more moms too!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Size 1 and 2 diapers. Wipes. Bumbo chair. High chair. One of those bouncy chairs. Swing. Crib sheets.
    All those for sure. You have to put clothes on ther or people will buy them anyway. Who can resist tiny cute baby clothes. Remember to leave the tags on EVERYTHING until after you use it. Then you can exchange for sizes/styles you need.
    Things you don't need: diaper genie. Wipe warmer. Crib mobile. Crib bumper. Baby washclothes.
    It is easier/cheaper/less stinky to just use a small garbage can with a lid for diapers. I use grocery bags as liners and change it every morning.
  • jls8209
    Options
    Things you don't need: diaper genie. Wipe warmer. Crib mobile. Crib bumper. Baby washclothes.
    It is easier/cheaper/less stinky to just use a small garbage can with a lid for diapers. I use grocery bags as liners and change it every morning.

I'm very anti-Diaper Genie! Every single home I've gone into with a diaper genie stinks like poo! (well, at least the nursery and hallway leading up to it stink!)

Thanks ladies for the tips so far, keep 'em coming!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Panteragirl shared some good advice. That's a lot of the same things I've heard.

Babies R Us starter list is a great place to start. I printed it out and just started crossing off things I already have or just don't need.

I'm registering for a few things that I won't buy for myself- video monitor, swing/cradle, breast pump. I'm also asking for a stroller, the next level of carseats and a jogging stroller. I'll also have a bunch of less expensive items too!
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I'm very anti-Diaper Genie! Every single home I've gone into with a diaper genie stinks like poo! (well, at least the nursery and hallway leading up to it stink!)

Thanks ladies for the tips so far, keep 'em coming!
    I got a Dekor diaper system from Target.com (http://www.target.com/p/diaper-dekor-disposable-system/-/A-10865874) and I LOVE IT. Never had odor issues. Or the mess from shoving the diapers into that hole thingie the diaper genies have. I swear by the thing. My only regret is I got the small one...not the bigger one. The bigger one is only a few $ more and holds 2x as much. It is online only though fyi.

I would have to disagree on the crib bumper. I never did a crib set...who needs a ruffled crib skirt? But I tried doing without a crib bumper this last baby and she kept waking up mad from bumping her head into the railings. Granted I didn't get one till she was older and moving around in the crib.

Must haves are different sizes of diapers, wipes, diaper bag with a changing pad, nipple cream (if you plan on bf), nursing pads (I recommend the Lily Padz AWESOME!!! Used them for 3 babies now and would never go back to the others), monitor if baby is in another room, bassinet, crib, mattress, car seat, stroller (doesn't have to be a combo), receiving blankets, onsies, hats, socks, cloth diapers (cheaper than burp clothes and work so much better) the kind you buy at target that are just rectangle clothes, nursing pillow, sleepers, humidifier, nose suction thingie...but get the hospital ones they give you for free because they work better then the ones in the store, forehead thermometer, ummmmmm what else? Oh a bouncer comes in handy big time! Bumbo seats are nice too...but super expensive. Find one used on craigslist. com or at a 2nd hand store. A bathtub. I got a inexpensive foam thing with a water temp indicator on the bottom. Was about $5 at target I believe and I used it all the time! The super fancy ones are unnecessary and just take up a lot of space (plus expensive!).

Oh you will also need washcloths and hooded towels. The hooded towels they have at stores are super thin and small so if you can I would recommend buying some regular towels and sewing two washcloths at the top to make a hood. I had several women in my church make me some and I really love them. Not only are they nice and big and still fit DD, but they are so soft and thick. I am not a sewer so I was grateful they did it for me!

After 3 babies I also discovered you do not need a changing table, unless it is also a dresser. They are expensive and most of the time I changed my babies on the floor or couch. I did have one that was also a dresser and it was nice having the extra drawer space.

If I think of more I will post
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    I was told to skip the bumper by my pediatrician. Safety issues. To each their own on the diaper issue, but I don't like buying things that I can't use without special products or reuse in some way. I still have the lidded garbage can from my last kid and the diaper genie is long gone from my first.
    I totally agree with the changing table! It is much easier and simple to use the top of a dresser. You end up on the floor/bed/couch anyway......
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sorry ahead of time, I'm writing as everything comes to mind lol

the crib bumper and mobile is personal choice (makes the crib/nursery "complete") but in reality they can do much more harm than good studies shown babies that get to close to the bumper can actually suffocate themselves (I think I got the info on babyzone.com) and mobiles have to be secure. For DD I used both but rethinking for this time around. Had a wipe warmer and really DD didn't care if it was cold or warm as long as she was clean lol. Agree with the changing table, if it provides a dresser than go for it. Also having a crib, pack-n-play, and cradle depends on your home. If you live in a duplex it will be nice to have a crib upstairs and the pack-n-play downstairs but if you live on a one level home (like I have since DD) a crib is all you need. Pack-n-play can be used if you plan on doing a lot of out of the house overnights. An absolute is bibs and burp clothes you'll be surprise how many a new born can soil in just one day. I like to have a separate hamper for baby's clothes (don't need the adults yuck germs lol). Stroller and car seat are great for friends and families that want to pitch in for a gift. I don't like adding clothes because by the time of the event the clothes you picked won't be in stock and people still buy them even if their aren't on the registry. My number one is SHEET SAVERS saves you a lot of time with laundry and fixing the bedding http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=sheet savers&origkw=sheet+savers&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1 a baby grooming set that includes nose suction, clippers, scissors, brush, comb, etc. When DD is congested I connect the vaporizer in her room so that can be an item on your list. If you want pick three to four bottle brands when baby is born you can see which one works best. Hold on the bath soaps and lotions you need to see how sensitive is your babies skin first. Have a bouncer and an activity mat or gym these are life savers when you are busy cooking and cleaning and it's not the baby's nap time.

Like stated before keep ALL tags, the good thing about babisrus is that even if you don't have a gift receipt for an item if it was on your registry they only you to exchange it or give you store credit so no worries there.
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    Sorry ahead of time, I'm writing as everything comes to mind lol

the crib bumper and mobile is personal choice (makes the crib/nursery "complete") but in reality they can do much more harm than good studies shown babies that get to close to the bumper can actually suffocate themselves (I think I got the info on babyzone.com) and mobiles have to be secure. For DD I used both but rethinking for this time around. Had a wipe warmer and really DD didn't care if it was cold or warm as long as she was clean lol. Agree with the changing table, if it provides a dresser than go for it. Also having a crib, pack-n-play, and cradle depends on your home. If you live in a duplex it will be nice to have a crib upstairs and the pack-n-play downstairs but if you live on a one level home (like I have since DD) a crib is all you need. Pack-n-play can be used if you plan on doing a lot of out of the house overnights. An absolute is bibs and burp clothes you'll be surprise how many a new born can soil in just one day. I like to have a separate hamper for baby's clothes (don't need the adults yuck germs lol). Stroller and car seat are great for friends and families that want to pitch in for a gift. I don't like adding clothes because by the time of the event the clothes you picked won't be in stock and people still buy them even if their aren't on the registry. My number one is SHEET SAVERS saves you a lot of time with laundry and fixing the bedding http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=sheet savers&origkw=sheet+savers&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1 a baby grooming set that includes nose suction, clippers, scissors, brush, comb, etc. When DD is congested I connect the vaporizer in her room so that can be an item on your list. If you want pick three to four bottle brands when baby is born you can see which one works best. Hold on the bath soaps and lotions you need to see how sensitive is your babies skin first. Have a bouncer and an activity mat or gym these are life savers when you are busy cooking and cleaning and it's not the baby's nap time.

Like stated before keep ALL tags, the good thing about babisrus is that even if you don't have a gift receipt for an item if it was on your registry they only you to exchange it or give you store credit so no worries there.

Vaporizer! Excellent suggestion. You don't know you need it until you NEED it, then it is a pain in the *kitten* to go buy one with a sick baby. I have found the cloth diapers (we used Gerber brand) are excellent spit/burp/whatever cloths. And a couple of changing mat covers, at least 2. Also, a boppy.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    SO helpful! thank you ladies!!! Ftm and lost about it all lol I know there's Sooooo much crap out there that I dont need and have somewhat of an idea what those things are. Just thinking about what all we do need gets pretty overwhelming esp bc I don't have much yet lol and I am such a planner and always prepared for pretty much anything so being in uncharted waters with baby is a tad stressful. BUT I'm trying to enjoy it :) after all we still have time!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant with baby #3 in a matter of 3 years...here are my must haves.

Zip up sleepers or gowns - my babies live in those things around the house and they are so simple for diaper changes
    Mittens too keep them from scratching themselves (and you!)
    Nail clippers
    Crib/pack n' play and sheets - get atleast 3 sheets!
    Bibs
    Swaddle blankets and other thicker ones for tummy time on the ground or to use in the car for fall/winter
    Vibrating chair and/or swing if you have the space
    Rocking chair! Seriously - I am so happy we had a rocker/recliner with both my boys during their newborn "must be held all the time" stage
    Burp cloths
    Baby bath and gentle body wash
    Car seat
    Wrap to wear baby around the house

That's all I can think of off right now. :smile:
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest skip Babies R Us and register at Target. BRS is a rip off and you can get everything you need from Target.... Am having my 3rd and the things that top my list are diapers, wipes, baby soap, onies, can't have enough pajamas, baby bath, medela breast pump if u plan to pump or breastfeed, don't get a lot of bottles, get one sample of 2 different kind (some babies are very picky) same with paciefiers, humidier is a must, diaper chamber I think are a waste of money and usually smell up the room more then a trash can. Get a trash can with a lid and take out the diapers every night... Safety kit w nail clipper, syringe, thermometer. Swaddlers are awesome for when they are NBs. Don't forget a diaper bag... Big stuff car seat, stroller, high chair, bouncer/ swing crib, rocking chair or some kind of chair u can sit on in the nursery..
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my registry on Amazon instead of Babies R Us. They seem to have a lot more available and more reviews on products.

I'm interesting in what everyone is adding. Right now, we just added some basics: diapers, wipes, some bath stuff, carseat, extra carseat base, strollers, etc. We are very early (going into our 8th week), but some family members have asked us what we want already.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    I'm doing my registry on Amazon instead of Babies R Us. They seem to have a lot more available and more reviews on products.

I'm interesting in what everyone is adding. Right now, we just added some basics: diapers, wipes, some bath stuff, carseat, extra carseat base, strollers, etc. We are very early (going into our 8th week), but some family members have asked us what we want already.

I really thought about doing a registry on amazon!! Thats the only place ive been looking so far. Do you or any of yall think people would buy from amazon? I'm an amazon junkie but don't know if anyone else I know is lol
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options

I really thought about doing a registry on amazon!! Thats the only place ive been looking so far. Do you or any of yall think people would buy from amazon? I'm an amazon junkie but don't know if anyone else I know is lol

I love Amazon! I have a baby registry for this baby as well as a wish list for both my boys and myself. :smile:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

My family is from all over the country, so it's much easier to do online orders that they can ship directly to us. If everyone was local, it might be a different story, but I love the selection of Amazon for registry stuff.
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is interesting - Does anyone have any idea if Amazon.ca (Canada) is just as good? Or is Baby'sRus the better choice for us canadians? I have family all over Canada, so I'm not sure how to do this..

Is it ok to just ask for gift cards?
  • jls8209
    Options
    This is interesting - Does anyone have any idea if Amazon.ca (Canada) is just as good? Or is Baby'sRus the better choice for us canadians? I have family all over Canada, so I'm not sure how to do this..

Is it ok to just ask for gift cards?

We just set up a registry at Babies R Us over the weekend, and I'm not too thrilled with it. It's a drag that in Canada we don't have all the options that are available in the US! Anyway, one thing I noticed about our Babies R Us registry is that most of the items we scanned in the store are not available to purchase/ship online, and the items that are in-store only just have a basic description and no picture, making it hard to know what the item is in some cases. I have no clue what some in-store items on my registry are because it's so vague. (ie. I scanned something that comes up as "Baby Assistant, neutral". What?!)

As for gift cards, my mom is going to tell people (family she'll outright tell, friends she'll tell if they ask) that gift cards would be appreciated as we are going to be flying home after the shower and have minimal room in our suitcases to bring things back. I know some people are anti-gift card and insist on buying gifts no matter what (SIL is one). We'll have to wait and see what happens in those cases. If anything doesn't fit in our suitcase, hopefully there will be a gift receipt included so we can return it and re-purchase when we get back to town. If not, I'm not looking forward to the cost of mailing things to myself!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Thanks for your input!!! I think I will do an amazon registry, we do have a lot of family out of state and I hadn't even thought about that!! Plus the selection is great :)

Myriane I have no clue about amazon in Canada! I would look it up for sure though!

How many and where are yall going to register? I would love to do Target and Amazon but I'm thinking of maybe doing one more..is that too many?
  • jls8209
    Options
    MrsCarter - I did two, Babies R Us because it's a major chain that people at home can shop at, and I also did a local boutique because my coworkers are going to have a shower. The local boutique also offers online shopping, though, so my family and friends at home can make a purchase and I can pick it up later.