Food Quirks?!

Options
PJ_73
PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
Does anyone have any strange food behaviour?

I am unable to have baked beans and runny eggs on the same plate......can't bear the thought of my egg yolks touching the bean sauce!

Strange, I know!

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Tonnes!
    People cannot watch me cook... big no no!
    I can't eat other people's homemade sandwiches... it's just wrong!
    Corn on the cob... fantastic! Loose corn?? NO! Can't have it in soups/salads/stews/pizzas etc.
    I used to be deathly afraid of mayonnaise. Like, actual run away crying afraid.. I still can't have it on food, but will probably not at least cry if I accidentally eat it. Something about the smell and the texture and URGH!
    I used to hate food if it had any type of sauce on it, (wet food). So spaghetti and mince would be fine, but spaghetti and bolognese sauce wouldn't. Beans are ok on toast, but never with anything else EVER because they're too wet!

It's hard work being particular! lol
  • julespringle
    Options
    I detest beans so much I can't bare watching anyone eat them and would rather not have them in my house. I also was abit funny with other peoples sandwiches, I could only enjoy my mams and grandmas as a kid, other peoples were awful and tasted wrong and I prefer making my own now. I am not one for condiments and would rather taste food that it be covered in mayo, ketchup etc. I hate it when people put ketchup on my lovely scrambled eggs on toast or a sunday roast. fundamentally wrong!

hate soggy stuff too, so when I make a sandwich i make sure i layer the filling so the bread wont get soggy and when I'm eating cereal it takes a bit of strategy as hate soggy cereal. I use a tiny bit of milk then eat while crunchy, with weetabix i only put enough milk on to soak into bisks i love milk but there is something about having cereal swimming in it that i dont like. ha
  • donz304
    donz304 Posts: 5
    Options
    I hate condiments, cannot even touch a plate that has tomato ketchup, mayonaise etc on. Also cannot be at the same table as anyone with vinegar on their dinner it's vile the smell, look, everything about it!!!!
  • AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow there are some weird quirks above!! :tongue:

Mine is coconut, in any way shape or form, detest the stuff and can pick out the smell or taste a mile off. Won't touch anything that has it in it - even sun cream!!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any strange food behaviour?

I am unable to have baked beans and runny eggs on the same plate......can't bear the thought of my egg yolks touching the bean sauce!

Strange, I know!

I don't think I really have any food quirks, I used to hate tomatoes but love tomato ketchup! Same with Strawberries, hated the actual berry but loved milkshakes and strawberry ice cream! Now I pretty much eat anything and everything and it's all delicious! :-)

You really should let that yolk touch the bean sauce, it's soooo yummy it's making me crave beans and egg for dinner! :-)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    hate soggy stuff too, so when I make a sandwich i make sure i layer the filling so the bread wont get soggy and when I'm eating cereal it takes a bit of strategy as hate soggy cereal. I use a tiny bit of milk then eat while crunchy, with weetabix i only put enough milk on to soak into bisks i love milk but there is something about having cereal swimming in it that i dont like. ha

That's so funny, I am exactly the same! I haven't come across anyone else who has such an aversion to sogginess. I also only use a tiny bit of milk with cereal, for the same reason, and I've just about given up eating things like cornflakes altogether. Grapenuts slogan about the staying crunchy in milk was made for me! In fact, you have to eat them quickly, or they do start to go soggier.

Wet bread is one of the most disgusting things. I can't bear to eat it. I have to leave any soggy bits on a sandwich. Yuk. I usually avoid sandwiches with tomato in them just to be on the safe side.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    There are a lot of things that I just don't like, but I don't think you'd really call them quirks....

Except, I can't stand leaving a couple of bits of food on a plate. I mean, if you've eaten the whole plateful, would it really kill you to eat those last 2 peas?!?! Or to make sure that you scoop up that last little bit of ketchup with your last chip... dirty plates just upset me. Even if I have roast dinner with gravy, I'll eat all the gravy that's left on the plate, sometimes it requires a slice of bread to help it along :P
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Lots!

I can't bear hot and cold things together - like warm desert with ice cream/cream on - the very thought of the cream melting and separating on the hot desert makes me feel ill.

I *HAVE* to save the best part of a meal until last. In a roast dinner this will likely see me eating spouts first, then carrots, then beef, then potatoes, then swede, then yorkshire pudding.

Things cannot be mixed together, every distinct food must be eaten separately. Stew can be done, but it is an experience to watch me eat it (peas, beef, carrots, potatoes, swede, then dumplings - in case you were wondering!)

Packs of mixed sweets - such as Haribo (:love:) must be taken out of the bag, then sorted into groups of colour and type and ordered accordingly before consuming.

Bread/biscuits/cake etc must be eaten from the outside in, as the inside is the best bit and it must be eaten last

If possible, different foods should not touch each other on the plate. Although this has relaxed as I have got older. Typically though if a food would leave a mark on something else it should be separated. Foods that are cohesive enough to stay to themselves are ok to touch but I'd still rather they didn't.

Gravy/sauces - are a tough one. I tend not to have gravy on a roast dinner as I don't like that bits of veg/meat come off into the gravy and then mix together. I actually quite like gravy on some things but it's easier to say I don't than explain this.

Foods that have a dry texture and squeek when you bite them (like beansprouts and water chestnuts) make me cringe.

Roasted foods - I do not like roasted potatoes or vegetables, it makes them taste metallic and horrible. I don't mind roasted meat, although...I'd rather it was grilled as a preference.

Wow, I'm actually more of a freak than I thought, looking over that. :blushing:
  • ATOLLIT
    Options

Bread/biscuits/cake etc must be eaten from the outside in, as the inside is the best bit and it must be eaten last

I forgot about this one! Especially kitkats, all the chocolate goes from the outside, then you have to eat the wafer layer by layer. Things like cheeseburgers and sandwiches are the same - the outside is always a bit dry with the tastiest bit in the middle, and the best bit has to be last!
  • phoenixoncemore
    Options

I forgot about this one! Especially kitkats, all the chocolate goes from the outside, then you have to eat the wafer layer by layer. Things like cheeseburgers and sandwiches are the same - the outside is always a bit dry with the tastiest bit in the middle, and the best bit has to be last!

No no no...Kit Kats may be the exception! The chocolatiest bit is at the ends...so those must be broken in half and eaten from the middle out!

Victoria sponge is interesting too, as the buttercream and jam is the best so I eat the sponge around that leaving a few millimetres either side, then eat from the outside edge to the middle, away from the crust.

I totally know what you mean about burgers and sandwiches too.
  • ATOLLIT
    Options

Victoria sponge is interesting too, as the buttercream and jam is the best so I eat the sponge around that leaving a few millimetres either side, then eat from the outside edge to the middle, away from the crust.

Hahahaha I do that too!!
  • phoenixoncemore
    Options

Hahahaha I do that too!!

Thank you! I get some serious looks when people see me do that! I have never met another person who does the same! :flowerforyou:
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hate milk if it gets on my skin! The smell grosses me out big time, can't drink it plain either, but fine with it on cereal, in tea etc.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Lots!

I can't bear hot and cold things together - like warm desert with ice cream/cream on - the very thought of the cream melting and separating on the hot desert makes me feel ill.

I *HAVE* to save the best part of a meal until last. In a roast dinner this will likely see me eating spouts first, then carrots, then beef, then potatoes, then swede, then yorkshire pudding.

Things cannot be mixed together, every distinct food must be eaten separately. Stew can be done, but it is an experience to watch me eat it (peas, beef, carrots, potatoes, swede, then dumplings - in case you were wondering!)

Packs of mixed sweets - such as Haribo (:love:) must be taken out of the bag, then sorted into groups of colour and type and ordered accordingly before consuming.

If possible, different foods should not touch each other on the plate. Although this has relaxed as I have got older. Typically though if a food would leave a mark on something else it should be separated. Foods that are cohesive enough to stay to themselves are ok to touch but I'd still rather they didn't.

Gravy/sauces - are a tough one. I tend not to have gravy on a roast dinner as I don't like that bits of veg/meat come off into the gravy and then mix together. I actually quite like gravy on some things but it's easier to say I don't than explain this.

Foods that have a dry texture and squeek when you bite them (like beansprouts and water chestnuts) make me cringe.

Roasted foods - I do not like roasted potatoes or vegetables, it makes them taste metallic and horrible. I don't mind roasted meat, although...I'd rather it was grilled as a preference.

Wow, I'm actually more of a freak than I thought, looking over that. :blushing:

That's proper OCD. You should talk to someone about that. :laugh:
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    I don't think I have any huge quirks... *ponders*

I don't like eating and drinking at the same time. When I see people slosh wine into a mouth that's still got food in it that makes me ill... :sick:

I also don't get "dunking"....

It results in crumbs in my tea and soggy biscuit, neither which is desirable. :huh:
  • phoenixoncemore
    Options
    That's proper OCD. You should talk to someone about that. :laugh:

You might be right there :embarassed:

Nah, I'm probably just a bit weird! :ohwell:
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Quirks? Hmmm...

I can ONLY eat butter/spreads on toast, I cannot eat it on untoasted bread, or sandwiches etc,.. it tastes and feels greasy! Yukk!! Oh and when i do make toast with butter, when i spread it it HAS to be an even covering all over the bread, not yukky melty lumps and no dry bits!! :noway:

I can pretty much eat anything to do with a tomato - but not a raw tomato itself, but i am working on this much to my reluctance.

I had been completely unable to eat any cheese or dairy product at all all the way through from being about 5 or 6 years old and the school took us on a trip to a dairy farm. the stench of the cheese... OMG... :sick: however, there is a glimer in that when i was roaring drunk :drinker: and starving in my twenties i actually ate pizza, so now i can eat that, but only if its mozzarella cheese, no other as it smells bad :sick: before then, if i ordered pizza i did so with no cheese - the local takeaway just used to think i was odd!

as for an extension to Kara's I despise people who insist on not closing their mouths when they are chewing - its disgusting and gross!! shut yer damn mouth!! and people who smoke WHILST preparing food!! :explode:
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Oh and when i do make toast with butter, when i spread it it HAS to be an even covering all over the bread, not yukky melty lumps and no dry bits!! :noway:

Oh I wholeheartedly agree on this one. My OH just does two knife swipes across the middle and that's it!! :noway:
    I had to teach him how to butter toast properly and left him to 'marvel' at my OCD meliculous precision with which I butter the corners. he still can't do it properly... so I make the toast now. :huh:
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had to teach him how to butter toast properly and left him to 'marvel' at my OCD meliculous precision with which I butter the corners. he still can't do it properly... so I make the toast now. :huh:

my OH does that too, i often hear a 'ahemhem' behind me when he thinks i've gotten too carried away with my minute bits of butter on the knife to get into the corner!! :laugh: he has never ever buttered my toast and never will! :noway:

If he's making dinner he also calls me in to check my plate if there is meat on it to make sure that im happy with his fat trimming - i never am as i can always find a smidgen of fatty yukky white stuff to trim off!!

Oh and if i do come across some bone, fat or god forbid gristle and i accidentally eat it, that is it, there is no way i can eat the rest of the meat, fish or whatever as i then get completely paranoid that there is some more in it