question about mfp and sugar

Options
Hi, ladies! I started mfp 5 days ago and am pleased to see a group of women about my age (57 in July). Learning to navigate the site. If I have limited my posts to "friends", does that include all 29 of you or do I need to friend you individually? Can I see what you post even if I just join the group and don't friend each person?

How are the settings for sugar on the food journal decided? I am doing the recommended 1200 calories based on information I entered, but this morning I drank 20 oz of orange juice and instantly went over my allotment of sugar. YIKES! Sugar is my big challenge, and I definitely don't need to be discouraged by drinking orange juice. I'm congratulating myself on passing up Snicker bars and drinking tea with agave nectar instead of sugary Pepsi! So what is a reasonable amount of sugar? And how do I change it on my program if I decide to do that.

Thanks.
Kate

Replies

• strongkate
    Options
    Haven't heard from anybody about what is reasonable amount of sugar, but this morning I ate 2 fuji apples (34) and was already over my goal which was somehow set by the system (24). Still don't know how to change the number, but did discover that I can just eliminate it from what is tracked, so changed it to calcium which is an issue for me due to bone loss. My plan is to eat healthier sugars (fruit) and stay away from processed sugars other than one little square of Doves dark chocolate with a handful of almonds when I get a craving. If I drink a Pepsi, the results will show up on my calorie intake and convince me to get back on track.

Anybody have any helpful comments?
  • strongkate
    Options
    Figured out how to change the amounts of sugar, etc. but decided to change it to tracking fiber instead because it's more useful to me and because eating sugar will show up in my calorie intake anyway.
  • Sambrielle
    Sambrielle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi...not sure about reasonable sugar...but I think maybe sticking to your goal calories will be the way to monitor it. The phone app is very helpful.:smile:
  • BeniGee
    BeniGee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read on the internet that the ideal intake of sugar for a female adult is 5 teaspoons (20g) per day. Obviously by eating a good balanced diet with plenty of natural foods and keeping within your goal calories (as suggested by Cyndi) you should be fine. If you have a sweet tooth, like me, you will find that by eating processed foods you are likely to be eating more sugar!! Beware of some of the diet/low fat/fat free foods as they tend to add extra sugar to improve the taste!!! :happy:
  • deb_jones
    deb_jones Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been going over my sugar too, but as long as my calories are good and I'm eating whole foods, I don't worry about it. Just try not to eat any real sugar or "white" stuff and you'll be fine.
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I went into my goals and changed my sugars to 49 grams and my fiber goal to 25. I did these to account for my fruit intake. I also lowered the sodium to 1,600. I heard on Dr. Oz to have this goal because of all the hidden sodium in foods.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to "sugar" except that I never, ever eat the white stuff (or honey or agave or any artificial sweeteners). But I eat plenty of raw fruit, so I am eating sugar -- just not the man-made stuff.
    I don't even have "sugar" on my tracking list.
    Instead I track the usual (calories, carbs, fat, fiber, protein) and sodium, which I keep under 1500mg/day.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I came at this from the pov I was going to eat pretty healthy but not go crazy. I eat sugar in moderation and have reduced it greatly. Salt, cholesterol, most prepackaged foods and hydrogenated oil I avoid like the plauge. If seem to think if your reasonably healthy and not dangerously obese some sugar will not harm you.
  • garob57
    garob57 Posts: 7
    Options
    OK ladies... I just joined and I am happy to see that with the spring comes renewed inspiration.:flowerforyou:
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    One way I have been decreasing my sugar is to only use 1tsp of sugar in my coffee cup, leave a little liquid in the bottom and pour the next cup on top. This way by the end of the day I have only used 1tsp of the white stuff but I still have a little sweetness. My plan is to decrease my initial amount. When I started this I was using 2 tsp in the first cup. Hopefully in a few months I'll be down to black coffee.

Tea