Eeeeewwww!

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
I got so fed up with Americans posting about how they can't live without "Hamburger Helper" and how can they make a healthier version etc etc, that I finally looked up what it was - I was expecting it to be some kind of sauce or pickle to go on burgers LOL
- Hamburger Helper is a line of packaged food products primarily consisting of boxed pasta bundled with a packet or packets of powdered sauce/seasonings. The contents of each box are combined with browned ground beef, water and milk to create a complete dish.
from wikipedia

Eeeewww! WHY? Who thought that up as an idea? Who bought it? Pasta and chemicals to mix with ground beef - WHY? And why on earth would they want to carry on eating it when on mfp?

Replies

13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    I currently live in the United States and I believe the answer is that Hamburger Helper is quite inexpensive and very easy to prepare. Americans love things, especially meals, to be cheap and fast. I can't actually comment about what this stuff tastes like, but I can imagine that it's quite salty, and I know Americans love salt. This is probably why Ramen noodle soups are so popular here--and because they are incredibly cheap. :laugh:
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yuck, that does sound bad. I didn't like the food in America when I visited - some of the things had the same name as things here (or in Australia where I am from) but they were different... Just not what I'm used to I guess!
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can get is the USA that you can't get here is definitely dark chocolate M&Ms. I have found a small shop locally that imports them, but they are uber expensive.

Not very diet friendly though!
  • curvfifi
    curvfifi Posts: 9
    Options
    Oh, that sounds horrible!
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I got so fed up with Americans posting about how they can't live without "Hamburger Helper" and how can they make a healthier version etc etc, that I finally looked up what it was - I was expecting it to be some kind of sauce or pickle to go on burgers LOL
    - Hamburger Helper is a line of packaged food products primarily consisting of boxed pasta bundled with a packet or packets of powdered sauce/seasonings. The contents of each box are combined with browned ground beef, water and milk to create a complete dish.
    from wikipedia

Eeeewww! WHY? Who thought that up as an idea? Who bought it? Pasta and chemicals to mix with ground beef - WHY? And why on earth would they want to carry on eating it when on mfp?

OMG that sounds absolutely VILE!!

Healthier version... Fresh ground beef, and onion and maybe a bit of egg to bind stick some real spices or seasoning in - that healthy enough for them?! oh gosh... i feel quite ill reading thats in that HH stuff now...
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can get is the USA that you can't get here is definitely dark chocolate M&Ms. I have found a small shop locally that imports them, but they are uber expensive.

Not very diet friendly though!

Chocolate covered pretzels.. cant find them anywhere in UK and they were sooooo good in USA! :( oh and panera bread!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There's definitely lots of stuff I miss from the US (peanut butter chocolate... in all its many varieties! Panera Bread, Earl of Sandwich.. quite a long list actually! lol) But it did amaze me when living out there how processed everything is. I gave up eating bread when I was out there because the more you chewed it, the sweeter it got! Sweet bread! And I remember ordering porridge from McDonalds (to be healthy and all) and it had 16 ingredients! 16! For porridge! Also, their Fanta is amazing, it's bright orange and tastes divinely bad for you, unlike our fanta which is a dull yellow and just tastes bad. Additives for the win! (I'm totally joking about that..lol)
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've seen the choc prezels in M&S ;-)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    that burger box thing sounds foul... :huh: :sick: