Argh.

Options
Shrinking_Moody
Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
I must vent. I am greatful that I am doing this weight loss thing as the 45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical helps me work out some emotion - but I am so tired of my kid screaming through therapy day in and day out for the past two weeks. It's not his fault - he has ASD and apraxia - so his communication isn't well - he's making improvement - but we still have a ways to go. And to clarify - not tired of my kid - but tired of the therapists upsetting him.

I know he frustrated that he tries to communicate and the therapists don't always understand - and I know that he can't always do what he wants to do becuase eventually he'll go to preschool and have to follow a schedule - but is it really so bad if he wants to hold his monstertruck while you practice letter sounds with him!? I mean - he's a boy. Why make him scream and break his little heart. Just let him hold his truck. In addition - he's a very bright kid - but everytime he learns something new - it's called "splintered learning" and is because he has autism. If you go over letter sounds using flash cards - then yes - eventually that child will point out letters in random places and give you the sound it makes - because it's been drilled into his mind. Why must everyone forget that under this diagnosis is a 2 1/2 year old little boy that likes to run, jump, play with trucks, and have a good time. Maybe he's screaming at you because he's tired of every day being "work" - just put the fun back in his therapy.

This makes me feel like his childhood sucks - That is all. Thanks for listening (reading).

Replies

• Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, is there a different therapist specializing in the younger children available? I know it took me a few tries before I got on that "clicked" with my son. Hang in there it does get easier, my 13 yr old just graduated grade 8....something I thought would never come!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    I think we have a basically decent team in place for Jordison - it's just a case of the more demands we place - the more stubborn he gets - and because we are placing more demands - the therapists have to be a bit tougher. It's just really hard to watch - and I feel like our life revolves around therapy. It's just been getting me down a bit lately - I mean - I know Jordison needs this - and ultimately it will be good for him, but right now it just blatantly sucks.

And - now I'm looking for a music therapist because apparently the speech, aba, and ot isn't quite enough to drive me nuts - but I'm hoping that music therapy will at least be fun for him.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry- that must be a painful thing to see your child so upset. When my daughter was diagnosed (right after she turned 3) she often had to have a comfort object to focus. Therapists need to be extremely patient with AD kids, especially when they are starting out with the basics. A lot of changes and demands at once can really set them off. My daughter is a lot better now (she's been in a special ed preschool and she's almost 5) but I decided to only send her to summer school 2 days a week instead of her normal 4 because her behavior was regressing. And what do ya know? She's back to being her happy self again! You have to find what works for your child, and if you feel that they may not be approaching his therapy right, then speak up and let them know your concerns and wishes. If they don't listen to you as the parent- then time to find new therapists.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Tell the therapist exactly what you expressed here. Be on the same page with them or get rid of them. If its ok with you that your son holds his truck (as by the way, I totally agree that its appropriate and even beneficial) then he should be allowed to hold the truck.
    Don't think that the therapists know best. You are the mom - you hold the power. They need to work within your boundaries.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Therapy really can be overwhelming sometimes. I just had to cut down on my sons speech because it was getting too much but they were fine with it. Preschool will be great for your kiddo. But, I agree with another poster, talk to the therapist! They are there to help but if you arent happy with something then you should voice your concerns. I know I switched therapists a few times because I wasnt happy with them (this was when we were still with RC)
  • nicolelara
    nicolelara Posts: 22
    Options
    Do the best you can for your son. The more you do now, the more it will help him later in life. Rather he suffers now with his mommy around and in a safe environment. I speak from years of experience. My son is 16 and going into his second year of high school. We did 2 hard years of ABA, very hard... but he got through it and learned to speak, and is a fabulous, young lad with a few issues :O) It is hard, but rather now, where he is protected, than being dragged home by the police one day (not my words, it was told to me once). You will get through this, and you will succeed in doing all you can for your son.
    I also work in a school for children with autism, I am the administrator there, and I work mostly with the parents, so I totally understand. YOU are a wonderful person, because you care so much. Never give up, every step he takes will help him live a better life. Trucks are for reinforcement, these issues that you describe should be fading as he gets used to the offer of the truck for his successful behavior. If not, then you have the wrong therapist. Positive reinforcement is what makes us all improve. The truck sounds wonderful for getting this out of him. Imagine how awful it is for some parents who cannot find any reinforcement for their special angels. Good luck my dear, you are a WARRIOR mom, and I for one am proud of you for venting here, and not stopping the therapy. Go for it and don't forget to log all your food, we have to be healthy for our babes, as at the end of the day, WE are all they have.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    Thanks -

I really do love our therapy team - I just get so irked with everything. I'm still holding on to the dream of a typical life for him I guess. I just feel like everything he does revolves around therapy.

He's got an appointment Monday to see if Music Therapy will be a good fit for him. Even though it would be adding an additional therapy - I think that oen would be more fun for him. And I do know this is all for his own good. It just hurts my heart to see him unhappy - even for a second. But at the same time - the therapy has gotten my nonverbal apraxic toddler to have approximations for over 75 words - and over 50 signs. There is progress - the past couple weeks have just been tough. He's a pretty stubborn kid (can't imagine where that comes from :laugh: ) - and we've been at this for nearly a year. He's also 2 1/2 - so there are times that you ask him to do something and he just throws himself on the floor and starts crying. I do know it will get better - I just have to pray for strength to get through this lately.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It does feel like life revolves around therapy sometimes...it can be reallyyyy exhausting that is for sure!
    Music therapy sounds fun!! I wanted to look into that for my son too. Tell me how it works out for you. I bet he will love it.
    Thanks -

I really do love our therapy team - I just get so irked with everything. I'm still holding on to the dream of a typical life for him I guess. I just feel like everything he does revolves around therapy.

He's got an appointment Monday to see if Music Therapy will be a good fit for him. Even though it would be adding an additional therapy - I think that oen would be more fun for him. And I do know this is all for his own good. It just hurts my heart to see him unhappy - even for a second. But at the same time - the therapy has gotten my nonverbal apraxic toddler to have approximations for over 75 words - and over 50 signs. There is progress - the past couple weeks have just been tough. He's a pretty stubborn kid (can't imagine where that comes from :laugh: ) - and we've been at this for nearly a year. He's also 2 1/2 - so there are times that you ask him to do something and he just throws himself on the floor and starts crying. I do know it will get better - I just have to pray for strength to get through this lately.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    Will do - we go on Monday to see if the music therapy is a good fit for him. I was also going to enroll Jordison in My Gym or LIttle Gym in our area for some additional socialization too. Hopefully he can do these things and they will both benefit him and provide enjoyment.

PS - he was pretty rough with his line therapist today - but did great for speech and ot. And now the weekend is here - so no formal therapy! Just fun family time (and the therapy we incorporate on a daily basis)!:bigsmile: