Putting yourself in uncomfortable situations?

Options
SO, following my "Mindset needed for relationship?" thread, my outcome was that I told her that I can't be friends with her or have her in my life.

As hard as it is to admit, I only told her that I didn't want to be anything because I didn't want her to bring around her new FWB(if she ever does) dude around me.

Truth be told, I think its better to put yourself in the uncomfortable situation and fight your way out of it, than to just avoid it and risk having to go through it again later.

What do you guys think? I told her we can be friends, because I wanna get over that mindset of me "erasing" people from my life because they end up making me feel uncomfortable.

I think it would be a good idea to build up some tolerance to that kinda situation for the future, right?

Replies

• for some reason i feel very confident that i can do it lol, like it aint nothing but a thing kinda mentality. :D
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    Yes... by distancing yourself you are trying to protect your feelings but you never know what life is gonna throw at you. Hell, you might have the unfortunate luck of seeing her and her new FWB just by running an errand which equates to your day being totally ruined! But subjecting yourself to that situation willingly, makes things easier on you because you were already mentally prepared for it. It helps ya get a thick skin and that heart off of your sleeve. Win-win for you!
  • see, thats what i mean, like i even put myself through the worst situation at the gym, and it has helped me alot so far. that concept applies everywhere lol
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have to GAIN from the situation. I get uncomfortable in crowds, hell I can barely go to the grocery store. Unfortunately going outside my house is kind of a big deal, so I force myself to do it each and every time. I force myself to find ways to cope and since then my anxiety has improved greatly.

What do you have to gain from being around this girl? Sure you can tell yourself all day that she's cool and neat or whatever but let's face it - there's a lot of girls that are like that without the baggage. To be honest, I think that you want her to "come to her senses" and see how awesome you are. So you're going to continue to be "friends" with her, make yourself suffer through whatever it takes in the hopes that it'll work out between the two of you. But really? That's not going to happen.

You have nothing to gain. Move on bro. You did the right thing the first time - telling her you don't want to be a part of her life.
  • It depends on what you have to GAIN from the situation. I get uncomfortable in crowds, hell I can barely go to the grocery store. Unfortunately going outside my house is kind of a big deal, so I force myself to do it each and every time. I force myself to find ways to cope and since then my anxiety has improved greatly.

What do you have to gain from being around this girl? Sure you can tell yourself all day that she's cool and neat or whatever but let's face it - there's a lot of girls that are like that without the baggage. To be honest, I think that you want her to "come to her senses" and see how awesome you are. So you're going to continue to be "friends" with her, make yourself suffer through whatever it takes in the hopes that it'll work out between the two of you. But really? That's not going to happen.

You have nothing to gain. Move on bro. You did the right thing the first time - telling her you don't want to be a part of her life.

My only gain is for myself...i don't want her anymore, its to only get a "thicker" skin, like the guy said before me. I don't want her back, and if she ever wanted to come back, i would never give her any kind of leverage over any other girl because of what happened in the past.

I have noticed myself running away from situations like this in my past with 2 other girls...so that is why I want to correct it this time and become a better person for myself. Tough times make for tough people, and I think it would be a better lesson for me to master my emotions than to let them run wild.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with Kitsune. My thought about exposing yourself to things that you are uncomfortable with is sweets. I love candy and ice cream etc. I don't keep it in the house because it won't last very long and I will feel pathetic for not having more will power. I can walk past these things in the grocery store without being devastated because I know I will see them there and that it's not good for me to expose myself to them. I think this girl is your ice cream. Stay away and let time works it magic. If you see her out, you see her out and it may sting a bit. You can feel empowered by knowing that she is with him because you made a conscious effort to seperate her from your life.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'd tell her to take a hike!

You may or may not develop from this. There are no guarantees that what you're thinking will work. It might just be a really painful experience every day for the foreseeable future!

But hey, try it. Nobody says you can't change your mind at any point.

Personally, I think you gain a 'thicker skin' by being able to walk away and just move on from unhealthy situations in your life. This won't be the first, nor the last! :flowerforyou:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    All I read is: "blah blah blah I still want to hang around her because I can't let her go."
    To me it looks more like constantly reopening a scar before it has time to heal, and make it bleed constantly, if anything.

- "I think its better to put yourself in the uncomfortable situation": what situation are you talking about? Also, if I follow your reasoning correctly, you should be taking baths of acid every day.
    I think the problem is that you normally wouldn't/shouldn't be exposed to this situation - should you chose to, so it's pointless to become "resistant to" this situation (being near a girl you like too much, or diving in acid), whereas you are susceptible to be subjected to your phobias in your daily life, without a choice in the matter (for example agoraphobia as it was mentioned earlier), so it's worth investing some effort in fighting them.
    See, I'd rather learn how to play guitar than spend time with a girl I don't want to spend time with. That seems like a more productive use of my time really. You're lucky to have so much spare time!

- "I wanna get over that mindset of me "erasing" people from my life because they end up making me feel uncomfortable.": depends on your feelings for her, if you can be friend with someone - fine. I'm never uncomfortable with my friends though, so I doubt if I were in your situation I would consider her as a friend.
    Anyway, remember that every minute you will be wasting with this girl is one minute you didn't spend finding the future love of your life, or improving for her.
  • not making appointments over other people, only when i don't have anything going on, and I don't actively want to hang with her. So far i haven't hung out with her and i don't miss it either.

actually kick it with more people, that i have before, and I am glad about that. she doesn't get first dibs to kick it with me.

lol to be honest i don't have that much free time, but i guess i could use my time more efficiently though