Raw Food Summer - Seeking Friends, Tips, Advise, Support

Options
Hey guys........for everyone within the US of A.....I hope you have an excellent 4th of July. For everyone abroad.......I hope your day is equally as excellent. I adore the fact I can make connections with amazing people all over the world through MFP. I live in the Chicagoland area, so my 4th I think might include heading to the beach on Lake Michigan to soak up some of these glorious sunbeams and if I'm lucky I'll end up somewhere this evening to see some bombs bursting in air.

I am a vegetarian (vegan wannabe) who is on Day 14 of a Raw Food Summer detox/cleanse/experiment. For the entire summer, I am consuming nothing but raw food. I started on June 20th at 8:09 P.M. and I will bring things to a halt on September 22nd at 9:49 A.M. I'm almost certain by when it's all said and done, there's a good chance I'll remain a raw foodist or at least incorporate raw food as the main component in my diet because things are going very well and I've quickly fallen in love with how I feel. Although........I already have designated Gardein Sliders as my first meal on September 22nd for lunch.....HaHa.

I have had a few hick ups I suppose. On the evening of Day 1, I did consume a few snack sized pieces of rye bread with my salad and I have chugged a few Bolthouse Farm Carrot Juices that are flash pasteurized......but I won't eat bread again. I recently had a mean stare down with some croutons, but I won fair and square. Carrot juice.....hmmm.......I might allow myself some from time to time during this adventure. I went into this knowing I would from time to time have hick ups.

Yesterday, I made my first batch of raw cashew cheese. HOLY HELL! It is exquisite! I’ll never go back to “normal” cheese. I will keep experimenting with different raw nut cheeses. I read about one recipe involving sauerkraut starter and raw coconut oil. Sounds like raw coconut oil is extremely healthy to consume.

I had a wonderful experience at a restaurant/food stand/food market in Chicago called RAW (Raising Awareness Worldwide). I got the sampler platter and a lemon bar. My taste buds are still in shock. I still can’t believe what I ate was raw. Eating at RAW is what inspired me to start experimenting with cashew cheese. I literally cannot wait to go back. I'll never buy pasta again. From here on out I know I'll just manipulate fresh zucchini to look like pasta.

I have a huge organic garden this summer so I will have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to eat. I’ll be doing A LOT of juicing this summer and if I can track down a decent dehydrator……there will be lots of veggie chips being made. I’m going to try to make time to construct a trellis out of tree branches for my cucumbers today.

I hope by posting this topic and by rambling on and on, I will meet some cool new people and make some new friends who will be supportive and can lend some tips and advice. I hope to hear from you!

(EDIT) PS - I hate it when I misspell words!

Replies

• Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I totally would have done this with you had I known! I just bought Ani Phyo’s 15-Day Fat-Blast and will do it very soon. When I first went vegan I went Raw Vegan. It started as just a cleanse, I loved it so much that I stayed Vegan. My favorite Recipe book was Raw food Real World by Matthew Kenney/ Sarma Melngailis. Good luck! I'll be joining you "on the raw side" soon!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I am struggling with trying to go raw...trying to slowly transition. It's my next step, after going vegetarian at the beginning of last year, then vegan 8 months ago. I'm conflicted about it as I'm loving the food I've been making. I'd like to at least do a cleanse. I am looking into books to buy to help with this, but can never decide which one! ANd there are TONS of ebooks and help online that can be purchased, but not sure if it's worth it to spend all that money. I travel a lot and am going to a festival in 2 weeks where we used to drink beer and junk food for 4 days straight- it's included in the price! I am going to bring my own food, but will probably still drink some beer. Eventually I know it may become intolerable to drink which is okay with me since I probably shouldn't drink anyway besides maybe an occasional glass of wine.

In any case, my body doesn't feel too healthy right now, and I know raw food is the way to health for me. It inspires me to see others doing it, knowing that I can too!! :D
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, currently eating both cooked and raw food. I've been mostly raw for months at a time, and I worked in a raw vegan restaurant for years. I found making cultured cheeses, dehydrated items, and other "fancy" raw food to be good in only serious moderation...for entertaining, roadtrips, etc. but for everyday eats- perhaps counter intuitive? For me, the beauty and energy of raw food is to eat simply and easily...a raw kale salad, marinated broccoli, sauerkraut, celery dipped in raw almond butter or tahini...stuff like that.

btw, hiccup-shmiccup! Its pretty unrealistic to be 100% raw 100% of the time. Just do your best....you will still experience the benefits of a raw food diet if you eat mostly raw foods. And carrot juice is great! you could probably find a juice place that presses it fresh? or make your own? Or just drink the pasteurized and not worry! :o)
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, currently eating both cooked and raw food. I've been mostly raw for months at a time, and I worked in a raw vegan restaurant for years. I found making cultured cheeses, dehydrated items, and other "fancy" raw food to be good in only serious moderation...for entertaining, roadtrips, etc. but for everyday eats- perhaps counter intuitive? For me, the beauty and energy of raw food is to eat simply and easily...a raw kale salad, marinated broccoli, sauerkraut, celery dipped in raw almond butter or tahini...stuff like that.

btw, hiccup-shmiccup! Its pretty unrealistic to be 100% raw 100% of the time. Just do your best....you will still experience the benefits of a raw food diet if you eat mostly raw foods. And carrot juice is great! you could probably find a juice place that presses it fresh? or make your own? Or just drink the pasteurized and not worry! :o)

I appreciate you saying these things. I'm doing the raw summer too and find it's a challenge to do it all day, especially after working eight hours. I do love eating raw though and am not giving up on getting as much of it as possible.