Fifty Shades of Grey

Options
sykin
sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
Ok - so - who has read these books? I heard I'd like them as a Twilight fan - I had no clue what they were about until probably a week before I started reading them (I've had the books for a while).

Holy hell.

I keep trying to imagine these as a Twilight fan-fiction. I can sort of see it in the character resemblances, and the underlying issues, sexual tension, etc. What did you guys think?

I'm still reading the 3rd book, but it's like I was with Twilight - I don't want to put the dang thing down!! I don't think I'll re-read them 50 times in the first month of owning it though. LOL

Replies

• KathPearce
    KathPearce Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Love them!!
    I read them a few months ago just before they exploded and everyone had them! My FB buds wondering what I was on about lol! Now everyone I know is/has read them.
    I am rereading them for the first time now and they are just as un-put-down-able as the first time I read them even though I know what happens!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've only read them in fanfiction form
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've only read them as the fan-fiction form, and really aside from the character names and some of the character characteristics I didn't see much of a resemblance.

That being said; I enjoyed the books, though the inner goddess and lip biting kind of annoyed me with it's repeated usage.
  • sykin
    Options
    I have my own small annoyances in the books as well. "Oh My" is getting on my nerves. The first book read as a fanfiction, for sure....you can definitely tell that's how it started. My copy (an electronic version of the book) looks like it was taken directly off of a blog - typos, grammatical errors, etc...it was almost unbearable. I don't remember if the second book was just as bad (though I do remember catching some) but so far, the third seems to be OK.

I'm rooting for them, though :)
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I read it as fan fic and liked it....read it again now and liked it. There are things that annoyed me and things that made me go "ooohh". There's a lot of good fan fic out there, but I have a hard time getting into some of it.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Reading them after some of my co-workers were talking about them :) I dont really see a resemblance to twilght but they are ok - the writing is horrible at least the 2nd and 3rd books have more of a plot then the first one
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I haven't read them, not sure if I will get to it or not. I have lots of other things that I want to read first. But, hey, I got on the Twilight band wagon fairly late.....so who is to say if I won't read 50SoG and get hooked.
  • sykin
    Options
    Finished book 3. Meh. I liked book 1 and 2 a lot more than 3. Then again, 3 had probably the most plot and least smut. I'm all for the smut. HA!
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted! 2nd time reading them-and annoying the hell out of my husband in the process! \\ ^.^ // There are a bit of flaws, such as a little too much of her "inner goddess" and the lip biting thing, and whatnot but it's a cute love story
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Finished book 3. Meh. I liked book 1 and 2 a lot more than 3. Then again, 3 had probably the most plot and least smut. I'm all for the smut. HA!

I do agree that book three had alot better plot - lot less sexual stuff so i like that it has a plot but really they are sex books in reality- It seems that she got better at writing as she went through each book
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I read them to see what the fuss was about and really didn't like them at all:grumble: Hated the central characters and thought the writing was AWFUL. Repetitive, clumsy - laughable in places. You can tell they were written as fan fiction - not that fan fiction is bad, but that there were none of the structural features you expect in a good novel simply because it had been written as a series of separate episodes. Thought it might get better so read the second and started the third but then gave up. That lip biting thing - in the real world that would not be a turn on, it would be irritating as hell.

Having said all this, hats off to the author for making money out of it!:laugh: And also, reading crap is arguably better than reading nothing at all and I've heard of many people reading FSOG who have not picked up a book since high school so that's got to be a good thing.
  • sykin
    Options
    Or they're like my husband and is listening to the audiobook. He's not a reader, but he's read all the Twilight books and is now working his way through Fifty Shades. He said it's so he can quote the books and get my engine going. LOL - I told him "good luck with that". LMAO!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    There was an article in a magazine I saw recently that shows an artist rendering of several lead characters from different books. 50 shades of gray had the leading man looking very much like our Edward. Interesting. (I still know very little about the books, so maybe what he 'looks' like is already obvious to everyone here.)
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I heard about these books and I was told that they started out as a Twilight fanfiction. Still while reading them, it didn't feel like it too much, since the resembles weren't that strong.
    And needless to say, I actually loved these books. Finished reading them last Sunday (I read these as fast as Twilight's) and I'm on my second round, taking my time this round. When I finished these, I had the exact same hollow feeling like I had when I finished Breaking Dawn. I just had to do something about it :laugh: