Singles vs. Doubles

Options
Which do you prefer to play? Personally, I prefer singles. I'm able to put less pressure on myself, there's more room, and I'm better able to stay focused since I know that I am responsible for hitting every ball. Plus, I get to run around more!

However, it seems like everyone I've spoken to lately prefers doubles. What do you think?

R

Replies

• cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    I enjoy both but prefer singles. For me - three days a week, two singles matches and one doubles match would be perfect. Tough to schedule that with work and fam.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Now that I am becoming more fit, I am able to get back into singles. Ideally I also like to schedule one day a week with a hitting partner, working on specific shots and serving. You can lose fitness points when you are unfit and still play doubles, but singles demands fitness. I know with each pound my fitness gets better and I am looking forward to the fall singles ladder. Peace, love and tennis, Janet
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love singles, but after getting pneumonia twice in one year, I lean more towards doubles. Running doesn't bother me breathing wise, but singles does. I keep saying I am going to retire from singles, but I have another match tomorrow!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Singles is definitely better for fitness, but I prefer doubles since I'm a serve-and-volley-er, so I love being at the net. I try to work in singles when I can though because it helps me improve on my consistency.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are few things in life as rewarding as an overhead smash into the corner. fyi, your picture is inspiring!
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    These days, I love singles for the workout. And if I can think of it as a workout, I enjoy every point. But I also love the fun doubles matches I play. I love playing socially with my friends. The key is to be confident at both - your usta captain will LOVE you!
  • bbissen
    bbissen Posts: 2
    Options
    Good singles is a "Grind" you have to be in shape, have your strokes down and have a strong mental game (i.e. focus & strategy). Brad Gilberts "winning ugly" is a great book for this. Personally, I play for health and fellowship. Tennis can be played for life and with all ages. Doubles is definitely social, but can be be competitive since more people tend to play it as they age..
  • gullee
    gullee Posts: 11
    Options
    I weigh ~215 lbs currently, but I run around like I am 160 lbs or so. That means my knees take a lot of beating if I play singles. Doubles is just as fun, yet not as taxing on the body, so I prefer it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Singles.

It is a better workout and easier to coordinate a game.

I'm a baseliner.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I really like both. I like singles because I find it to be more mentally and physically challenging which I really like. I'm pretty hard on myself but I like to keep myself pumped up during singles matches. I have to admit, doubles is really awesome because a team that works well together is absolutely beautiful to see. I also dominate at the net. I love the fear in my opponent's eyes when they see me about to volley. Hahaha! Last year I played doubles with my best friend and we fed off each other and kept positive. We were really successful!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Prefer singles for the better workout and the ease of scheduling. I have been very luck with a foursome that I have connected with this summer. We are all around the same level 4.0/4.5 and play every Friday at noon time. Tried a doubles league this year too and have been so frustrated as the level of play was not monitored well. I plan an all court game and have adjusted to playing on clay this year too.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Playing doubles allows me to play for longer, which does have a benefit.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I prefer singles as I am a baseliner, but doubles is fun too. Ive taken more of an interest in it this year and its great for net practice. I am very competitive and hard on myself so sometimes singles is best for me! Im happy as long as I have a racket in my hand!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. I prefer both.
  • GetFit4Tennis
    Options
    I love both singles and doubles and play in a lot of USTA leagues and tournaments in Northern California for both. The tactics and strategies are different so if I practice singles too much my doubles game drops because my reflexes at the net are not as sharp. I just need to stop carb-loading with fast food before tennis matches, especially doubles.
  • mandakins79
    Options
    I'm a singles player during my girls USTA season, but I LOVE playing doubles in my mixed-doubles league. My dad has been my partner for the last few years. Best partner a girl could have!
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like singles better.
  • wallie117
    Options
    I prefer doubles. I am not fit enough for singles and hope to play more singles as I lose weight.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tennis. Just getting out on the court is good for me.

When playing competitively, I tend to lean towards playing singles more often. Mostly because of the flex leagues. Far easier to schedule a match between two people than among four. For me, doubles offers a change of pace, and more social aspect.

There is a huge difference in how to play between singles versus doubles. A good coach will help you with developing your technique and the strategies used for types of game play.
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just started playing singles in a new league the other day. I've been playing mostly doubles for the past 3 years or so. It has been a big wake up call about my fitness level. Whereas I've played 5.0 for doubles, despite having a stronger baseline game, I'm really struggling against 4.5s due to a complete lack of cardio. It's a bit depressing. : ( My first few singles matches back were against older guys who weren't really 4.5s, more like 4.0 or solid 3.5s, so despite my cardio and lack of singles play, I was able to win relatively easily due to errors on their part and my serve. Last weekend was a different story completely. 16 year old 4.5-5.0 with cardio forever and, while no real weapons, played very steady tennis. First few games were fine, but then I hit a wall and had to completely change from a patient game to a very risky, short point, style. Not my preference. Needless to say, it did not turn out well and I received a complete shellacking. He wont the last 7 games pretty easily. The good thing is, the loss inspired me to get my butt back on here. I even went out that night and bought the Withings scale, since our scale had broken when we moved a few months back. It's a 10-week league, so I'm hoping that each week I can improve my cardio a bit and come in a couple pounds lighter. Maybe get another shot at that kid. Ok, sorry for the long post, but had to get it out of my system to people who can understand.