New mom/Breastfeeding/Weight loss advice pls. :D

Options
:glasses: Hey Yall!!! I'm new here. I am a new mom to a 10 week old little boy!!! I am breastfeeding and all I heard is "your gonna loose the weight so quickly" ... well they must have jinxed me because Im nottttt. I actually at first was not hungry at all and had to force myself to eat but now that it has been a while and my body is becomming use to it I feel like I am starving ALL the time!! Any BF moms out there that wanna help a sista out with some advice!!! HaHa. Also....I am trying to up my milk supply. I am producing enough to keep up with my son but I wanna start pumping more and freezing. What do you guys do???

This loosing weigh thing after having a baby...is not fun. :/ My hips have gone crazzzzzzzyyyyyyy since being pregnant! I don't even feel like myself.

Any advice on what you new moms do/have done...would love to hear. :) Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    for increasing my milk supply I use Mother's Milk tea, fenugreek, More Milk Plus Vegetarian Capsules, oatmeal, and Brewer’s Yeast & Blessed Thistle. I am not a beer drinker but I have heard that Blue Moon beer is good too. Everytime you sit down to nurse have a cup of tea or a glass of water. Hydration is key! A snack while you are feeding (or right after) is a good idea too (1/2 a sandwich and a piece of fruit is my preferred snack).
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I fell into the same trap thinking that I would lose weight when I breastfeed but with both my daughters I actually gained weight when I breastfeed and then lost the weight after I weaned.

My hips have also gone crazy and even though my upper body is now relatively normal looking my hips just look plain awful and I don't think they will bounce back.

In terms of increasing supply - camomile tea actually worked quite well for me, as well as the german organic nursing tea (hmm forgotten the brand, but the effect was instantaneous). I also found that frequent pumping, though exhausting, definitely increased the supplies a lot.

Feel free to add me if you like!

KWKY
  • kc_franke
    kc_franke Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey! Thanks yall. I tried mothers milk....icccckk. Couldnt bear the taste. I guess I will stick with pumping & water and see how it goes. Hopefully it gets easier. Thanks for feedback!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    WIth Mother's Milk I sweeten with honey. There is also a breast feeding tea made by Yoga Tea for nursing moms that I think tastes a bit better.
  • flynavywife
    Options
    After my first baby, i lost weight very quickly... but even though i was back at pre-pregnancy weight by around 3-4 months, my hips were still wide. Relaxin stays in your body for around a YEAR postpartum, and this causes your joints to be "weird"... but things do settle differently, and it takes time. Around 6-7 months post-partum my hips were back to where they were before, so don't lose hope.

With my son (3 months), I haven't lost weight yet... I'm nursing my toddler and my newborn, and have just been eating whatever and however much I feel like I need (healthy foods). I'm just now starting to feel ready to *try* to lose weight, but would never want to put my milk supply at risk... so I'm using the logs here to track and analyze WHAT I'm eating.

I've found that milk makes me crave a lot more sweets (before I started MFP on Friday) and that without drinking milk, I do a lot better with healthy eating in general. By tracking, I also realized that I was eating a lot more carby stuff than "pre-pregnancy me" ate (still real food - fruits, potatoes, etc) and that I should focus on getting more protein too. I guess I'm just saying it's easier to eat less or a normal amount, if you find what your "triggers" for making you hungry are. For me, carbs and milk make me crave more carbs and sweets. Without overdoing them, I do better.

Why do you want to pump and store milk? Are you returning to work? If you're a SAHM, I don't recommend creating a "stockpile" of milk... there's not really a reason, and oversupply can be a huge problem.If you nurse your baby on demand, you'll make the perfect amount for him. If he needs more, he'll nurse more frequently, and your body will adjust within a day or so and make more for him. If you want a date night with your husband or something, you can plan a few days in advance and pump a couple times a day in order to save up enough milk to be gone for a few hours. (1-2 ounces TOTAL - both sides- per pumping session is normal for a full-time breastfeeding mama).
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I too did not get the benefit of losing weight when breastfeeding or not having a period. Seriously pissed about the period thing, 5wks after. Give a girl a break. Guess I am just meant to have kids.

I'm a first time mom to a baby girl thats 7 weeks. My milk supply has been an issue since 2.5weeks. At that time I went from a great supply to an undersupply with no reason. Met with a Lactation RN and I was doing everything correct. She suggested taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle at the same time. That worked wonders for me, took it for about 1 week. My supply has stayed up for the most part without taking the supplements. I have noticed less when I pump in the morning the last few days but I was also sick with food poising a week ago.

I'm hesitant to start trying to loose weight. As before I had lost 50lbs and I'm sort of an all or nothing type of person and I dont want to affect my supply. Past few weeks I have been tracking my calories but not adding my breastfeeding or exercise and I have not lost anything. Breastfeeding and exercise should be about 700 calories deficit so there should be some weight loss but nothing yet.

Its a hard place to be, wanting to keep supply up to feed the baby but also want to get back in shape. Having others in same situation is something I'm looking for as well so FR sent.
  • kc_franke
    kc_franke Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, I am a SAHM for now...it is still up in the air for when/if I go back to work. We are just seeing how things go. My friends who have BF are the ones who told me it is good to store extra milk...for emergencies, date nights, babysitters during the week if I want to run somewhere w/o my bambino...just little things like that. & he is eating SO often I would need a pretty good supply built up. I am definitly keeping up with him though...so really that is all that matters to me. I never knew exercising could risk your supply, how so? Thank you @flynavywife for the 'hope'...LOL, I will definitly keep that in mind. I just feel soooo wideee after having him. He is definitly worth it but also I keep thinking I just want to get back!! I dont really have any triggers that I know of...I just get reaaally hungry at certain points of the day and it seems nothing fills me up! Thank you guys for all your help and advice. I realy appreciate it and am taking it all in!! I accepted Mundy!! That definitly is no good about weight and having a period. Icckk!!! I have been VERY lucky when it came to feeding. My son latched on within 30 minutes of being delivered & had a few issues but got them resolved very quickly. My supply has been great & sorry to say to you...LoL but no period for me. I thought I would have one right away and it has been great! One perk for me!! GL to you on the weighloss. Will keep in touch!!

Is there a way to log Breastfeeding in with the diary?
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Exercising is not the issue, not getting enough calories is.

And with me I got fixated on losing weight in the past and don't want to put that a head of producing milk for the baby. Alot of it is mental and I feel I'm not ready to balance both. If I did not lose weight as quick as I had before I think I would feel like I was failing and push my self harder. Hope that makes sense.

Under food search for breastfeeding and the calories are negative. I have heard its any where from 300-500 calorie loss to breastfeed.
  • DuchessVB
    DuchessVB Posts: 10
    Options
    Congratulations!! I had trouble with supply and doc put me on a high calorie diet which helped but then I gain back almost all of my pregnancy weight!! Booo, but breastfeeding is worth it! Fenugreek capsules and oatmeal also seemed to help. When my wee one turned 7 months I backed off of the high calorie diet and am now trying to lose the last 10 pounds, however, I think I am one of those that hold onto that weight until breastfeeding ends. Baby gir is now 9 months old and I have no intention of stopping although my supply is barely there :( As the doctor said, some people are Jersey cows, some are not. Sigh, I am not a Jersey cow :(

Things will get progressively better, and tighter, as time goes on. I noticed a big change around 6 months and an energy burst as well. I walked with baby girl in the baby bjorn or moby wrap all over the place. Walking seemed to tighten all birth muscles up really fast. I also did some yoga while holding her and now that she is almost 20bs we do lunges and lifts :) You can find some good baby exercise videos on youtube.

Good luck and enjoy every second!
  • DuchessVB
    DuchessVB Posts: 10
    Options
    I log breastfeeding under my exercises and guessed the ounces which burn 20 calories an ounce, then counted the ounces as minutes. For instance breastfeeding - 20 ounces, logged exercise breastfeeding as 20 "minutes" at 20 calories/minute = 400 calories burned.
  • mommydavisx3
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to MFP and actually still pregnant. This very issue was what brought me to the community part of MFP. I am due with my 3rd child this week and am planning on breast feeding. Both my other children were also breast feed, but for various reasons I couldn't continue past 6months. Hoping to go a full year this time. I usually struggle to maintain my supply and rarely have a stockpile. I however would recommend building (slowly) a stockpile as that was one of the reasons I had to stop with my son. I was put on a pain medication that I couldn't take while BFing and I only had 1 day of reserves. Because of my injury it was very difficult to pump so I didn't do it enough and by the time I could get off the meds I was too far behind the power curve for my son to be happy nursing. He wanted a nice easy bottle:(.

Anyway, I too don't let go of the weight well after delivery so I would love to friend you ladies for motivation! I have to fit into a preordered bridesmaids dress in 7 weeks! I had to just guess my size and think I ordered too small! Of course I am not willing to sacrifice my supply but really want to lose as much as possible;)

Good luck and congrats to those with their new babies! I'm jealous!

Michelle
  • Emily_fitat30
    Emily_fitat30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to MFP and actually still pregnant. This very issue was what brought me to the community part of MFP. I am due with my 3rd child this week and am planning on breast feeding. Both my other children were also breast feed, but for various reasons I couldn't continue past 6months. Hoping to go a full year this time. I usually struggle to maintain my supply and rarely have a stockpile. I however would recommend building (slowly) a stockpile as that was one of the reasons I had to stop with my son. I was put on a pain medication that I couldn't take while BFing and I only had 1 day of reserves. Because of my injury it was very difficult to pump so I didn't do it enough and by the time I could get off the meds I was too far behind the power curve for my son to be happy nursing. He wanted a nice easy bottle:(.

Anyway, I too don't let go of the weight well after delivery so I would love to friend you ladies for motivation! I have to fit into a preordered bridesmaids dress in 7 weeks! I had to just guess my size and think I ordered too small! Of course I am not willing to sacrifice my supply but really want to lose as much as possible;)

Michelle

Hi - I'm feeding my 5week old, haven't found a drop in my supply, In my first week of dieting I lost 4lb & he gained 10oz so we are both happy! I do drink gallons of water! At least 8-10 glasses a day on top of tea & fresh orange juice, I really feel this helps. I too am to be a bridesmaid! I have 10weeks to fit into my dress, at the moment its about an inch from closing, I am very motivated so hopefully it should be no problem. Never found the weight dropped off when i breastfed my first son (now 19months) but i do feel i used feeding as an excuse not to diet & indulge in cake with mummy friends! I am seeing this as a lifestyle change & tracking what i eat so i keep on straight & narrow!
    Best of luck to you, Has your baby arrived yet? X
  • AnHadley1987
    AnHadley1987 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thanks yall. I tried mothers milk....icccckk. Couldnt bear the taste. I guess I will stick with pumping & water and see how it goes. Hopefully it gets easier. Thanks for feedback!

I pump the most from each breast first thing in the morning, about 5 oz each and I freeze both. Started this strategy about 2 or 3 weeks ago, my son is going to be 3 months old next Friday and my body is finally leveling out with milk supply. I'm not losing any weight either, and I am training for a Half Marathon in October. I lost 12 lbs within days after my son was born though.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I am a full time working mom who breastfeeds ( have 3 kids, youngest is 3 months old right now)... as far as storing milk.... still feed your baby on demand but try to squeeze in a pumping session once or twice a day at first. As someone said before, your body adjusts to the demand.. so if you add in a pumping session a day eventually your body will produce more to accomodate your extra demand... it may take a few days though.

Stay hydrated and be sure to eat .. always feed your baby on demand - dont swap feeding your baby for a pumping session. Once your body has started producing more milk, you can pump a bit at first before feed your baby then feed your baby the rest (this will also help so that you dont choke the baby at first with the let down response from your body and the milk shooting out of you). <-- to do this i generally started pumping about 10 minutes before actual feeding time and I never fully emptied, but got enough out of each side to freeze and then still feed my baby.

Once your baby sleeps through the night, you can opt to pump once during the night since the baby will be sleeping and you will still be producing milk -- this will help create a supply as well. Personally, I pump once after the baby goes to sleep (about 2 hours after the baby goes to sleep) and then right when i wake up in the morning, then i feed the baby.

I have noticed that on days when i dont get enough calories I dont produce as much milk and it is harder to make the milk that i freeze.

Remember too that a breast pump is not the same as your baby... you may not get the same amount of milk out as your baby can --they are just more efficient at it. So you may only get 3.5 ounces total from both.. your baby is probably getting more... as long as your baby is gaining weight and healthy - they are fine.

Personally I have never done anything other than drink lots of water and adjust my food intake and frequency of feedings/pumpings to get more milk. For times when I really need to up milk production for daycare, i spend the weekend relaxing (no exercise) drinking lots of water, eating good food, and feeding as frequently as the baby will allow. Your baby will be a huge part of increasing production since they really trigger the body to produce more (and are much better than a breast pump). After these kinds of weekends I see a signiificant increase in milk production over the next week.

Just remember that you body will adjust to the 'supply and demand' approach.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    Oh yeah... also remember that even if you arent losing weight... always check your measurements!! measure yourself. I havent lost weight in over 3 weeks but my measurements are changing :)
  • AidenHousersMommy
    Options
    I know how you feel. My son is 5 months old and I'm still breastfeeding. I was told the same thing, but like you, it wasn't cutting it for me. On average bf will use about 500 cals a day. So you gotta make sure that you keep your calorie intake up enough otherwise your supply will go down. How I got mine up is by pumping and keeping my son at breast longer. So even tho he may not be eating, keep your son at breast. Then when I'm done, i usually try to pump a little, even if you don't pump a lot and you think it doesn't matter, it does. Your milk supply will slowly go up. Also, if you over exercise n over exert your body, your supply will go down, so make sure you pace yourself. It's hard, but you can do it!
  • mommydavisx3
    Options

Michelle

Hi - I'm feeding my 5week old, haven't found a drop in my supply, In my first week of dieting I lost 4lb & he gained 10oz so we are both happy! I do drink gallons of water! At least 8-10 glasses a day on top of tea & fresh orange juice, I really feel this helps. I too am to be a bridesmaid! I have 10weeks to fit into my dress, at the moment its about an inch from closing, I am very motivated so hopefully it should be no problem. Never found the weight dropped off when i breastfed my first son (now 19months) but i do feel i used feeding as an excuse not to diet & indulge in cake with mummy friends! I am seeing this as a lifestyle change & tracking what i eat so i keep on straight & narrow!
    Best of luck to you, Has your baby arrived yet? X

I did have the baby, it's a girl! I had to supplement the first few days so they would let us go home because she was losing too much weight, but I didn't do any formula yesterday so I'm hoping that was all we needed! I'm not starting to worry about calories just yet, but once my supply is for sure enough I need to get on the wagon!

How funny that you are a bridesmaid soon too! I picked up the dress but I'm too afraid to take it out of the bag. I won't be able to get it altered until super close to the wedding because my body will hopefully change a lot up until then!