Tri Care & plastic surgery

Options
What do you know about tri care covering a breast reduction?

Replies

• MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Know they will do it for AD if they say they have emotional issues with it. However not sure about dependents. Would love if they did my breasts are nearly gone after to gets and loosing 40 pounds...will keep an eye on the replies here,
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would think if it's causing an issue (ie: back/shoulder pain) it should be covered. Best bet though would be to contact TriCare and ask, since they would be the ones paying for it.
  • aishasan
    Options
    Tricare does covers breast reductions. I had mine done is 2004 at a civilian hospital. Evidence of back pain and other issues caused by large breast must be present.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i know a girl who was able to get it covered due to it giving her back issues
  • eaglemama70
    Options
    wonder what i could do to take care of 2 c-sections that fat will never snap back!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear! Just got my Tri Care paperwork and will probably need a reduction after losing all my weight. I'm a DD and I get awful back and shoulder pain.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    tricare DOES cover brest reduction because it can cause pain and other issues. A friend of mine had bad back pain and she was able to get the reduction paid for. Good luck!!
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Make sure the paperwork is written up correctly!! I have a friend who was denied a breast reduction recently and she cannot re-apply for a set amount of months. The doctor she saw wrote up that she needed the reduction due to migraines, shoulder pain, back pain, neck pain, and emotional...something must not have been signed or x'ed in the right spot!!! I feel really bad for her because she REALLY wants to get exercising more, and cannot due to her breast size... Just be careful!!! Good luck!!!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Tricare paid for my Breast Reduction in 2006 due to back pain, shoulder pain, and debilitating headaches. I would advise looking into it!
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    They cover that and cover the lap band as well..both have to be medically recorded for a period of time before they will approve the actual surgery..
  • kandrieu
    kandrieu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just had a reduction in April. In order to qualify you have to have a medical problem related to your chest. I have a bad back and neck and I am also at risk of cancer due to family history. They also measure you and there is scale they have to go by for your height and weight compared to your size. A friend of mine had to lose 20lbs in order to qualify. They no longer take the fat off the sides when they do the surgery so that is my current problem trying to lose that. I also have a little nub on both sides from where they took my drains out. Best thing I have ever done now to just lose this extra weight so I don't look disproportioned anymore!!