Day 8 - Your Supporters

Options
Fattack
Fattack Posts: 666 Member
Again, sorry this is a little late, we were away for the weekend and internet access was limited!

Think about the support you receive from others. What type of support do YOU need (people are different!) from others? What do you want people to say and do - if anything - with regards to your diet? For instance, do you want people to acknowledge your dieting? Do you want constant encouragement? Do you want people to play the "bad cop" if you eat something that's not healthy? Communicate these needs with your supporters!

TODAY:
Post a list of things that people are always welcome to say or do with regards to your weight-loss efforts. E.g. offer you compliments, protect you from dessert, or clear the table after meals
Include, in this post, another list of things you don't ever want people to do - e.g. snatch your plate away (has anybody ever sen this happen?!), give you lectures, or admonish you
Read both lists to your support people IRL, including your spouse, your children & your best friend

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I do want you to:

***Give me compliments when I lose weight
    ***Ask me how it's going
    ***Take me to the gym, and come with me if you like!
    ***Don't leave unhealthy leftovers out / offer them to me - if I want it, I'll ask
    ***If I do eat something that's not necessarily "diet-y", don't act surprised or ask me if it's in my diet - I've probably already calculated for it!
    ***If we're eating out, choose somewhere that has healthy options

I don't want you to:

***Avoid eating all unhealthy foods / drinking all unhealthy drinks in front of me - I need to learn to make my own choices!
    ***Talk about my diet in front of other people (at least, not yet!)
    ***Berate me if I don't go to the gym, but remind me that I always feel better after going (if i say I'm thinking about not going)
    ***Eat pizza in front of me, whilst I do want to exert some willpower, it's my favourite junk food!
    ***Offer me unhealthy foods whilst we're out and about. I've probably not factored in for it on my daily plan.
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I want you to:
    - Tell me if I've lost weight! Don't wait until I mention that I'm down XXlbs and then say "oh, I thouuuught you were looking slimmer" (my boyfriend is the worst at this... god dammit it would mean so much more if you said it without being prompted!)
    - Respect my decision when I say no to something unhealthy. Don't keep trying to force it upon me saying "just one won't hurt"
    - Get involved when I decide to take the stairs and not the lift!
    - Be pleased for my progress, not resentful

I don't want you to:
    - Mock me for going to the gym on a Sunday whilst sitting eating a full fry-up breakfast (this one's for you, flatmates!)
    - Tell me I'm thin enough and should give up the diet, just because you're jealous of my progress and don't like to see me succeeding (also aimed at my [very large] flatmate)
    - Keep suggesting takeaway food for lunch/dinner/whatever
    - Help yourself to food off my plate, stating you're "doing me a favour"
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Obviously compliments on my weight loss are always welcome.
    I love that my husband is always telling me how great I look! (He's a sweetie!)

I definitely do not want anyone saying "Are you sure you should be eating that?"
    Or, "you can't eat that, you're on a diet!"
    Or "Aren't you exercising this morning? Oh no it's the beginning of the end!"

I consider myself lucky because both my husband and mum are on MFP so we all support each other.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I want you to:
    Notice but don't over do it. A compliment is fine but don't go on and on about it.
    Consider my food choices when choosing a resturant.

I don't want you to:
    Don't tell me I am thin enough I look sick.
    Don't eat off my plate or snacks - I have weighed and measured my portion and accounted for it, leave it alone.
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sorry it´s monday now - saw the post this morning :)

I would like to receive compliments from my supporters as long as they don´t over do it. Yes I have decided to exercise min. 30 min. per day but I decide when and how!
    I like when my husband notices that I have had to buy new clothes - but not when he compliments the new pants 4th and 5th times I wear them. It makes me feel like he´s just saying it.
    I like that my kids are getting active and participating both by eat heathier and by exercising with me. But I do like to exercise at my own pace a few times a week - alone!

I don´t like when people comment my food as I have exercised for that one piece of chocolate and my ice cream is only 5% so I´m actually allowed to eat it once in a while.
    I don´t like when people offer heath advice (except for my MFP friends who I feel understand that everyone makes the choice they have to :) - I´m eating what I feel works for me and with my celiacs I can´t eat spelt or wholewheat or too many carbs from glutenfree foods. These carbs don´t make me full and they make my blood sugar dive, so I´d rather eat fruits and vegtables and I don´t care if they have read that Atkin or low carb is dangerous.
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love it when...

+ You tell me how strong I am, how impressed you are with my will power :)
    + You notice that I'm looking slimmer and that my fitness levels are increasing.
    + You come running with me!

I hate it when...

- You ask me if that's "all I'm having" - my day will be balanced, I have it all planned out!
    - You turn it into a competition...
    - You raise an eyebrow if I head out to a second exercise class in the same day - I know my limits :)
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Please Guys:

*Tell me IF you see a difference.
    *When we meet up make sure I can make healthy choices
    *Think of fun things we can do which don't rely on/involve food!
    *Listen to me go on about which exercise programme I have decided to attempt
    *Tell me you think that you respect my willpower and determination to improve my life (my friend did this the other day and it was great)

Please don't:
    *Eat the food off my plate so that I don't!
    *Tell me I'm over doing it/obsessed!
    *Don't be a ***** cos guys are paying me a little more attention now (tsk)!
    *Do try to understand that the way I feel about myself overwhelms me...all I see when I look in the mirror is something disgusting, please don't insist that I am pretty....regardless!
  • Carol_s
    Carol_s Posts: 73
    Options
    I want you to:
    Notice that I'm more motivated and determined to have a healthier lifestyle than ever before.
    Notice and tell me when I'm looking slimmer
    Notice that my food choices and portion control are better
    Notice that my fitness level is increasing

I don't want you to:
    Comment on my portion sizes (I know how much I can eat, I've already planned it)
    Comment when I have a treat (I've already incorporated it in to my diary)
    Offer to buy take away every time I ask you to cook!
    Push me when it comes to exercising (You're a lot fitter than me and exercsing with you makes me feel very bad about myself!)
  • kimannabella
    kimannabella Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I want them to not notice, to be honest the only time that anyone's noticed has been because I have not had visitor biscuits for when they've stopped by for tea. Stuart is pretty good when I am on a diet, although he does eat junk around me.