bulging discs ...any experiences?

Options
Sambrielle
Sambrielle Posts: 8 Member
I had an MRI last June 2011 after a long year of back pain. The diagnosis was bulging discs in my low back. I have tried PT, Chiropractic, massage and have been working out for the past year with a personal trainer. My back pain is much better and I manage it most days with stretching and Advil, but I still have to be really careful and watch my activities carefully.
Has anyone else had this problem? What has helped you? How long a recovery...or am I doomed to live with this?

Replies

• mboland76
    mboland76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Cyndi, I had one bulging disc at L4/L5 and I spent 2 years doing PT, chiropractic, cortisone injections - anything and everything I could think of. The pain got so bad that I could barely get dressed in the morning. I had a discectomy in December 2011 and it was a success (no more horrible pain) but my back does still get stiff and sore easily. I think that no matter what the course of treatment, we will always have to be careful.

Did you have trouble finding a trainer who could work well with your injury? I'm thinking about getting one myself. I did find a place that does therapeutic yoga where I live and I'm trying that out also.

Best wishes!
    Mary
  • Sambrielle
    Sambrielle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi-

Yes, I actually went through 2 other trainers before i found Jeremy. He has a Masters in physical education and has been working as a personal trainer for years. I do have to pace myself and not get too carried away. I have over worked my back recently and have had to take a break from weights for the past 2 weeks.What I have been doing recently is walking & more walking. It doesn't bother my back.

Over all, it has been very helpful. I am much stronger and have more stamina. My back pain has lessened, but it is still always present. Pilates was what I started out with in the beginning. It helped me strengthen my core, which in turn allowed me to start lifting very light weights. I have slowly built up over the past year.
    I am now focusing on losing weight. I am thinking that if I lose at least 25 lbs ( more would be better) it will help lessen the stress on my back. Baby steps...my goal is 20lbs by Sept. 15th.

Did the cortisone injections help? I have read mixed things about cortisone.

To better back health!

Cyndi
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have bulging disc at C5/C6 in my neck and at L4/L5 causing pinched nerves, so I'm all jacked up! lol Been dealing with this for over 5 years now. I see a chiropractor and he has worked wonders for me, but I still have to take it pretty easy and limit my exercise to mostly walking at this point.
  • Miranda0171
    Options
    I am 25 years old and found out recently that I have bulging discs in my L3/L4 , L4/L5, and L5/S1. I also have arthritis and disc degeneration. I need to lose 65 pounds and I know that will help with the pain but I have difficulty going and exercising due to the fact that I am in so much pain before, during and after that it discourages me so much! Can anyone give me advice on how to push pass this. My pain clinic is setting me up for injections and I am hoping those will work, I have tried physical therapy.
  • yenyarooiam
    yenyarooiam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try spinal decompression therapy You will have to google for your area to find out who does it Make sure to go to a doctor supervised chiropratic or dr office this is inportant Do not go have this done at a spa or salon it will hurt you worse If you have insurance going through a dr they will cover it My husband had spinal decompression done it worked wounders for him he is so thankfull I found it He did not have to have surgery he feels awsome
    I on the other hand had a fussion done because of that cant do the spinal decompression
    Try to avoid surgry it only makes you back prob pain worse i have major nerve damage and im in more pain then i was befor surgry
    I incourage you to at least look into spinal decompression You wont be sorry
  • mouseemom
    mouseemom Posts: 1
    Options
    An ESI will help with the inflammation in your back. I have had my low back pain for 9 years now. I am doing viniyoga, walking, and just started using a pemf mat (time will tell if that helps). I have also recommend Dr. Art Brownstein's book on healing your back naturally. It is an easy read and is my go to back book. I pray your injection goes well. They help only for a short time.
  • jcarlson60
    jcarlson60 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had bulging disks that have gone to ruptured.My life saver over the last 4 yrs has been Celebrex.It lets me get out of bed in the morning with minimal pain,get dressed and work all day with little pain.And I'm not eating 8-12 Advil per day anymore. I still have to be careful with what I do. Walking and stationary bike have been best exercise for me.
    I am headed toward surgery this year,recovery from aggravations is getting to be too long.
  • ksmom4
    ksmom4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck....I had surgery in 2011 for a couple of ruptured disc---had some other complications from surgery as well.

Just take it easy and slow. I will not lie and say recovery is a breeze....it will hurt if you end up with the same sx I had---360 fusion where they go in from the front and back.

I also do Celebrex and it helps me greatly along with some others like lyrica ...even though I do bit care for the side effects. PT help show me some things I could do to help strengthen my back that do not cause pressure--if that makes sense.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for after your surgery when you have it.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your back issues. I have 3 bulging discs all in the lower back. Pilates has been a great help and I do it every morning for about 30 mins. Release and stretching exercising really help and my core is a lot stronger now. Mobility is our friend and it's just trying to find out what form of exercise works for you and your back. Pilates and walking work well for me. Running with plenty of release and stretching afterwards is okay, but strength training and road race bike riding a definite no, no! Working out good nutrition is a bit of a mind field but I find that eating protein with every carb meal/snack helps keep things in balance. Needless to say, I'm on this site to shift a few pounds as I know that when I go on my cruise in June, all the healthy eating will go out the window and I want a bit of weight deficit in hand before I go, ha, ha!
  • astattonhunt
    astattonhunt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If your discs are just bulging you may try Spinal Decompression, unlike removing the discs with surgery it takes all the pressure off the discs and allows them to heal. Once your discs have ruptured spinal decompression doesn't work nearly as well.

We have a Clinic in Springfield MO that does it, called Cherry Health Center here is the website http://www.cherryhealthcenter.com . I give you this so you can get more information about spinal decompression not to promote Cherry Health Clinic in anyway, as I am not a patient there. Unfortunately, I had bulging discs and thought it was my hip out of place, it wasn't. I went to a chiropractor who did X-rays but apparently didn't realize my problems were bulging discs, during an adjustment he ruptured the discs and I was not able to get off the table.

I had to go to the hospital where they gave me a ton of pain meds. and muscle relaxers and set me up for an MRI and a consultation with a Back Surgeon. Due to this spinal decompression has been out for me, but had I been able to do it when they were just bulging I would have been there in a nano second!

Hope this helps you.

Sincerely,
    astattonhunt
  • ksmcq1967
    ksmcq1967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have had back pain since I was 24. I'm now almost 46. For years, I was told that the pain was "in my head". I have bulging at L5-S1, L4-La5, L3-L4, C3-C7. I also have spinal stenosis, arthritis, and a bunch of other crap ;). I ran the loop of treatments, and when I was 30, they wanted to do surgery on me. I refused. May 2012 I had to have surgery. I had the disc between L5-S1 removed, and the stenosis opened up too. July of 2012 I had fusion from C5-C7. My surgeries weren't a cure; they're just band aids for a situation that will eventually get worse for me. Hopefully you find a great pain management doctor that can help you tremendously.
  • yuske05
    yuske05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I might have a herniated/bulging disc seeing that some of you have similar backgrounds with me; I've had back issues since my early 20s and younger. Lately my lower back pain has cried louder than usual everyday, some days not much. My physician saw no major issues with me and told me to exercise my core more.

Core strength does help. But I've really found success in taking a few special minutes to squeeze the affected muscles. No weights, just great posture, breathing, and contraction. My back feels 80 percent better. I do this before every workout and I always make sure my form is good before I add any intensity.