Using a HRM

Options
Out of curiosity how do you use your hrms? Do you start it when the dvd starts or when your heart rate reaches a certain number? When do you stop it? Do you subtract what you would have normally burned if you weren't working out from that number and then log what is left? I am so confused I have heard so many ways to do this and want to make sure I am doing it right?

Replies

• brookef81
    brookef81 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Iam so glad that you asked this!! LOL, I have been wondering what other people have been doing as well. For me, I start it as soon as Chalene comes out and says, "alright...you ready..." and I stop it usually when my heart rate somewhat returns to normal. Usually about 5 minutes after the workout becuase my heartrate is still fast. I have always wondered as well if I should stop it right after or what? I am glad that you posted and I am interested to see what others say
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I start mine right when we start warming up. I stop it right after we cool down. I don't subtract what I would burn normally. :)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I start mine right when we start warming up. I stop it right after we cool down. I don't subtract what I would burn normally. :)

Same here!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Thanks I was just wanting to make sure that the 609 calories that I burned today doing the 35 minute Fire starter class and stretch 10 class was accurate. Does that seem pretty accurate to ya'll?
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Thanks I was just wanting to make sure that the 609 calories that I burned today doing the 35 minute Fire starter class and stretch 10 class was accurate. Does that seem pretty accurate to ya'll?

Probably but it all depends on your age, sex, and weight so it's hard to say for sure. I know today I did Fire 45 and I burned just under 400 cals.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

Probably but it all depends on your age, sex, and weight so it's hard to say for sure. I know today I did Fire 45 and I burned just under 400 cals.

I am 28, 5'1 and 132lbs. I push hard and my heart rate usually stays in the 180-190 range.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 167lbs and I burn about 450 to 500 doing Fire 30 and Stretch 10.

edit:

Oh yeah, I'm 25. =P
  • brookef81
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 140 lbs and 31 years old. I usually burn between 230-330 caloriesfor TF 30 and for the longer classes and anywhere between 450 and 550 calories. I get so frustrated when I see that people burn that many calories because I am working so hard, but I guess for my weight and height that is normal???
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I start when we start warming up and then after the cool down. If I burn any calories after then great, but I don't track it.

I certainly wouldn't compare your burns to others. You know whether you are doing your best and trying as hard as you can. I go by my HR to determine that during my workouts. I actually keep my HRM on the HR view the entire workout to motivate me.

ETA: Last time I did Fire 30 was last Monday and I burned 312 calories after doing CLX for 30 minutes. Usually for Fire 45 & Fire 55 I burn between 450 calories to 550 or so. I am 5'3/135 lbs/30 years old.
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 140 lbs and 31 years old. I usually burn between 230-330 caloriesfor TF 30 and for the longer classes and anywhere between 450 and 550 calories. I get so frustrated when I see that people burn that many calories because I am working so hard, but I guess for my weight and height that is normal???

Same here! I feel like everyone burns way more than me!

Don't forget to update your hrm when when you lose weight b/c that will change it.....I try to remember to update mine every 5 lbs or so!
  • brookef81
    Options

Same here! I feel like everyone burns way more than me!

Don't forget to update your hrm when when you lose weight b/c that will change it.....I try to remember to update mine every 5 lbs or so!

Thanks, yeah, I have been on a plateau for like 3 weeks now :( No weight loss...
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Thanks, yeah, I have been on a plateau for like 3 weeks now :( No weight loss...

I feel for you, I've been there! Just keep going at it and eventually your body will catch up!