sprouting. ..

Options
babynew
babynew Posts: 613 Member
I 'd like to know if anyone has sprouted garbanzo. I've been reading conflicting reports,and I'm curious. I've played more in the winter, but only do quinoa, and easy amaranth right now. What if any do you do!? I know alfalfa, mung, radish, etc, & the toxic ones etc.Oh, anyone do millet? Thats next for me, ....and my bird. ;) Thanks alot. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I sprouted them once, same process as sprouting anything else. They tasted horrible IMO. A raw foodist friend of mine suggested lightly steaming them (not getting them too hot so they are still raw) and this takes away some of the bitter taste. I haven't tried it yet though. Last time I tried sprouting, I let them sprout too long and they went bad. I'm sort of terrible at timing things.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank You! ..Seems to be the general consensus, albeit a few. One general message seems to be - Pour Boiling Yep, water over, at the end of 2 days, for ONLY 5 minutes. THIS is the Step that supposedly takes an unedible bean to ready for humus action, & undeniably tasty difference. That was what I was hoping to hear.
    For now, my raw friends, I will put hummus on hold, and as soon as I get an EGGPLANT, its Baba G. Time!.. Did you know you can make RawBaba G. ?... Simply peel, cube & freeze, then Thaw & proceed!!!.
    If you get your plant before me, let me ( us ) know! Thanks Again!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about eggplant. I was wondering how to use it raw...

Besides mung and alfalfa, I've sprouted lentils and liked them a lot this way. They have a naturally slightly spicy taste. I recommend them. I'm still working on the timing thing myself as I'm so busy with work, etc. that I don't always keep good track of sprouts. I'm getting better though.