Parkrun Run Britain Rankings

Options
I know from another thread here that quite a lot of us take part in the weekly Parkrun events (www.parkrun.org.uk). Someone this weekend told me about Run Britain Rankings (http://www.runbritainrankings.com/). Parkrun events are officially recognised by UK Athletics. This means that you can get an official UK Athletics ranking by taking part in them. When you enter your details online you can import the events you have taken part in by entering your Parkrun barcode. It then lists your performances and also gives you a handicap similar to a golf handicap so you can see how your runs compare with other runners around UK. It gives each course a rating based on the difficulty of the course and the conditions on the day of the race. If you run a good time in poor conditions it gives you a higher weighting so you can see what effect course and weather conditions have on your times. It seems really interesting if you like stats etc. It is not just Parkruns but any other official UKA event that you may take part in.

My first official UKA ranking is 65,369. Which is only 65,358 places bellow Mo Farah and he’s younger than me! :happy:

Replies

• AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - I've just had a look at our nearest run. Well done on your ranking!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that information. I had never heard of Parkrun, never mind the rankings. Well done!

I noticed that there is one near me. It does say that you can walk the course, but to let them know if you will take more than 50 minutes. Does anybody actually walk it? I'd love to join but I'm not up to running yet. I suppose I could just go along and see. The worst that could happen is that I'm last. About an hour after everybody else!
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    That's really cool, I didn't know anything about parkrun either, definitely looks like something to check out!
  • nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi from my great experience of 1 parkrun (!) at Albert Park last Saturday, a couple of people did walk and people stayed and encouraged them across the line. There were all types of people at the event - runners, joggers, walk/joggers and walkers. The organisers were very supportive and encouraging. Give it a go!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Thank you, targetnewyork! That's very encouraging. I am a slow walker, even when I put the effort in, but as long as I wasn't being a nuisance I'd like to give it a go. I'm glad you enjoyed your run!
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Parkruns are brilliant. They are free and friendly and a great way to improve. They are a mix of dogs, children, oldies, runners, joggers, walkers. They start 9am every Saturday throughout the year, often with extra runs over the holidays. Basingstoke for example had 4 over the Christmas break and 2 at the New Year holiday. It gives people such a buzz to start taking seconds then minutes off their times. I would recommend them to everyone.