Childrens' Height

Options
Steph4454
Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
For those who may have children... We just had our annual check up. My 9 year old daughter measured in at 5' 2.5''! I know she will most likely be around 5'11-6'. I am 5'11 and my husband is about 6'2''. I'm trying to teach her early that she is beautiful no matter what, etc. My parents weren't the best when it came to talking about our height, probably because they didnt think we were all (2 sisters. both 5'11'') going to turn out tall. Just curious how everyone elses children "measure up" :)

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    my 6 yr old daughter is 4'1". She will likely be close to 6' by the time she is done growing.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My son turned 12 in April and he's currently 5' 5". I'm 6' and hubby's 6' 5"
  • samakain
    samakain Posts: 60
    Options
    My son just turned 5 not even a month ago and he is almost 4'1". My husband is almost 6'4" so we figure he will be around that or taller.
  • MThornburg74
    Options
    My 7 year old is 4 ft 6 and my 2 (almost 3 year old) is 3ft 5!! I am 6'3 and my hubby is 6'2. They are both way off of the charts for height. They are both beautiful and I stress that every day. I tell them all the time how being tall brought me opportunities to model and to play basketball in college to pay for a full scholarship. I am constantly reinforcing that even though they are taller than their friends, they are at an advantage.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I was 5'4" at 10 years old, and topped out at 5'11".

A few weeks ago, the 4th graders came to visit the middle school they'll be attending next year (where I work), and there was a 4th grade girl (so, 9-10 years old?) who was as tall as I was. I was quite taken aback! I resisted saying anything to her, because I'm sure she gets comments ALL. THE. TIME.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 5 & is 4ft 4in. I'm 6ft hubby is 5.9 but my dad was 6ft5in. I figure the boy will get to around 6ft1in or so. I was about average for my age until I reached about 13 then shot up & have been 6ft since about 15.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I am 6', hubby is 6'3". Daughter is 6'4" and son is 6'6".
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't have children but I can speak for my parents....

My mom is 5'11 and my dad is 6'2-6'3. It is funny, because they are both the only tall people in their immediate families (besides my moms identical twin). My mom does have some cousins who are very tall however- one former NBA player amongst them.

I am the shrimp of the family at 23 years old and 6'0. My 19 year old brother is 6'4, and my 16 year old sister is as well.

My SO is 6'9, comes from 6'2 mom and 6'3 dad. I cannot even imagine how tall our kids are going to be.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant but obviously have no idea how tall they will be yet. lol

My mom is 5'5" and my dad is 6'. I am 6'2", my 3 sisters range from 5'6" to 5'8".

My SO is 6'6". His mom is 5'7" and his dad is 5'10" his brothers are 5'11" and 6'..

I have tall cousins on my dads side of the family but my boyfriend is the tallest in his family. I am hoping that if we have a boy he is tall and good in sports so he can go pro and take care of mommy! lol :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My 9-yr old is around 5' 1" and my 13-yr old is around 5' 6". I was 5' 9" tall at 14 and I'm a hair shy of 6' tall now.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have two sons 20 and 17 so they pretty much have stopped growing. When they were babies they were always in the 98 percentile in Height. The doctor predicted both would be over 6'5". They are now 6'1" and 6'3"

Since they are boys I am happy they are over 6' LOL !!!
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My husband is around 5'10" and so am I. I have always been the 'freakishly tall one" in my family. Out of my four children only one is proving to be the tall one. My 23 yr old identical twin sons are 5'7" and 5'9", my daughter is 19 and topped out at 5'2.5" and the 'baby' boy of family is 16 and now 6'1" and obviously not done. His pediatrician said when he was 4 that he would be around 6'3".
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    My 5 1/2 yo son is over 4 ft, and my 4 yo daughter is just an inch and a half behind him. They are about a head taller than the kids in their peer group. (I am 5'11 and husband is 6'3). I love that they are tall...just have to remind people/teachers of their chronological ages, as people have a tendency to expect them to act older than they are, especially my daughter. One of my biggest pet peeves as a tall girl - and I love being tall. I just remember people telling me when I was 10-11 to act my age...I was already 5'9/10 at that point.
  • dfsnell
    dfsnell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and my girls dad is 6'1/2 - my oldest daughter is 12 almost 13 years old, and she is 5'7 (and in a 91/2/10 shoe) and my baby girl, 7 years old is 4'0, she seems so short, but I know she is going to have a growth spurt at some point (or maybe she just seems short compared to the rest of us).
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10'' and my ex is 6'. We have two kids. My daughter, who is almost 19, is 5'10'' and my son, 14, is 5'8''.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6ft even. My son has always been around 30-50th percentile for height...the doctor's projection at age 2 was that he would be 5'8" as an adult...how did that happen? He is 5 now and currently around 45 inches (about 50th percentile still). My daughter is 2 and she was around 10th percentile for the first year of her life for height. Then at her 18 month check up, she had grown 3 1/2 inches and is now in the 80th percentile for height (33 inches). I guess maybe she will be the tall of my kids. Kind of wish it would have been the other way around, but I guess my son could always hit an unexpected growth spurt! :)
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Dh and I are both 6'. We have 3 kids--2 were adopted. So far my sons (1 adopted, age 5, 1 biological, age 4) are both hovering around average. My daughter was adopted from Korea and she is in the 90th percentile for height (age 2). haha! You never freaking know.

My daughters bio parents aren't very tall tho, so I assume she'll slow down be just a bit above average. Maybe 5'6". I think my son from Guatemala will be 5'9"ish. Not sure how bio DS will turn out b/c his body is exactly like dh's and dh had a late growth spurt. Dh was short until high school. Perhaps bio DS will be around 6' or a little above.

My friends have kids who have passed them up in height (teenaged boys), and they say "Wait till it happens to you!" I have to remind them it may never happen! :)

My dh comes from a average height family. His mom is 5'4", dad 5'9", sister 5'2". I come from a tall family. Mom 5'9", Dad 6'6", brothers 6'4" and 6'7". Occasionally it seems strange to be taller than my own FIL. :)
  • Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11.5 and my nine year old son is 5 foot. His father is about 6'2". I am taller than my brother and parents.
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", my husband 6'1".....don't predict girls height until they get their period. My daughter is 5'6"! Got period at 12......and is 19 now. My niece is 6'....got period at 15.

Boys are different, my 16 year old son is 6'2" already.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", my husband 6'1".....don't predict girls height until they get their period. My daughter is 5'6"! Got period at 12......and is 19 now. My niece is 6'....got period at 15.

Boys are different, my 16 year old son is 6'2" already.

I'm about 6'0"-6'1" my mom is 5'5" (tallest on her side) and my dad was 6'4" (his side was tall). I stared my period at like 9 years old...seriously! But I kept growing until I was about 19. not huge spurts though, those happened in 3rd and 6th grade. I gradually grew until 19. I graduated HS at 5'10" or so and by my sophomore year in college i was about 6'1"