For those exclusively BFing

Options
What is your NET calorie goal? Do you add in calories for BF? If so, how many per day? Do you eat back your exercise calories as well?

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am breast feeding. It's no longer exclusive but she eats just as much, just more efficiently. I went by MFP gudielines and if you click 'add to diary' and type in breast feeding search in the food database a bunch of entries will come up. I ALWAYS ate back my breast feeding calories. It's so important, otherwise your milk supply can suffer. I was at 1200 calories a day, then added 500 in for breast feeding with 20g carbs extra, 10g fat, 10g protein, 5g fiber and an extra 300g sodium. I am eating at maintenance right now because I am stuck in a plateau so I am not adding my BF calories to my diary like I used to. I am using that 300-500 as my daily deficit. Also, make sure to eat back exercise calories! I hope this helps and I can answer more questions if you would like!
  • heatherurban
    Options
    Hi there! I am breast feeding. It's no longer exclusive but she eats just as much, just more efficiently. I went by MFP gudielines and if you click 'add to diary' and type in breast feeding search in the food database a bunch of entries will come up. I ALWAYS ate back my breast feeding calories. It's so important, otherwise your milk supply can suffer. I was at 1200 calories a day, then added 500 in for breast feeding with 20g carbs extra, 10g fat, 10g protein, 5g fiber and an extra 300g sodium. I am eating at maintenance right now because I am stuck in a plateau so I am not adding my BF calories to my diary like I used to. I am using that 300-500 as my daily deficit. Also, make sure to eat back exercise calories! I hope this helps and I can answer more questions if you would like!

This is exactly what I am doing as well - yay! OK, so why the heck am I stuck!? This happens every time. This is my 3rd baby and each time I get stuck with 5 lbs until I got pregnant again, ,ilk dried up and then I drop 3-5 lbs while pregnant! I am not having any more babies so I have no idea how long we will nurse (that was what ended it both times as my supply dried up.) I don't want to sacrifice supply since he is only 5 months, I wonder if I can safely play with not eating back exercise calories.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been eating between 1800-2100 calories total. My "goal" is to net about 1500 a day. I've been losing consistently. My ticker is weight loss since getting home from the hospital. My little guy is 11 1/2 weeks old
  • Wallace082011
    Options
    I have a question...should you do your BMR and see what that is and then add your BF calories to that?

I have set on MFP to eat 1744 (1344 (BMR) + 400 calories (BF)) calories a day and I subtract BF from that by entering it in as a food. then I eat that back...is this right? I don't want to gain weight...ugh it is so confusing
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to maintenance and then eat back my exercise calories. I typically eat 2000-2200 calories per day. I use BF as my calorie deficit and have lost on average 1lbs per week since my baby was 6 weeks old. I don't count the first 6 weeks because I dropped fluid weight and other weight so fast.

I have read several sources that say not to eat below 1800 calories your first 3 months of breastfeeding. Makes sense to me because women should never eat less than 1200 calories and if you add 500-600 cals burnt breastfeeding, eating 1800 keeps you over the 1200 mark. After 3 months old, most lactation consultants I've talked with say you can start lowering by 100 cals per months (so month 4, 1700 cals...ect...) if it makes sense for your body and your milk supply is still good.

Breastfeeding is designed for very slow weight loss. It can be frustrating because you can't lose as fast as if you weren't breastfeeding without affecting your milk supply. I focus on enjoying the extra calories as I watch my weight slowly decrease. When I stop breastfeeding I'll have to eat much cleaner to achieve the same results :D