4 Days into Week 1 (Insanity) and I can't get my calories

Options
Hey everyone! I'm really serious about sticking to Insanity for the long haul, and I know that I need to make sure I'm getting my calories but I'm lucky if I can hit 900/day. Is this going to be a negative thing for the results that I want? I find that just to get the 900 that I do, I have to throw in a bunch of stuff at night before bed. I know this is all wrong... Any advise anyone can give me would be fantastic!!

Replies

• MrDel
    MrDel Posts: 33
    Options
    You need to eat more than that if your doing insanity. I would recommend a larger breakfast and maybe an additional healthy snack throughout the day.
  • SilverLuma
    SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think at 900/day you are going to have a lot of trouble keeping up with Insanity for any length of time. I was originally eating about 1400 a day (I'm trying to lose weight while doing Insanity) and even that was too little. Recently I've upped my calorie intake to 1750. That seems to work for me. I'm still losing weight, but I'm able to keep up my energy in the workouts. But everyone is diff. However, you def don't want to be below 1200 if you are doing such a high intensity workout. Try adding some nut butters to things. Or take baggies of almonds or other nuts with you to school/work. Increasing your portion sizes slowly will probably also help. I eat 5-6 meals a day to reach my calorie goal. 3 main meals and 3 small snacks. I understand that doesn't work for everyone though.
  • maylene1853
    Options
    try to do 6 meals a day, at 200/300 calories each. might be easy if you do 2 to 3 of those as protein shakes. thats what i do!! i have one first thing when i wake up and one before bed (helps muscles repair while you sleep)!
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on raw almonds or having a tablespoon of peanut butter. You have to get more cals in somehow but with healthy foods ofcourse.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Almonds are amazing. I keep a bunch at my desk and count out 10-12 as a snack once a day. Peanut or almond butter on half a multi grain English muffin is good. I also make a LOT of smoothies. Throw some raspberries, water, cottage cheese and whey into a blender and you've got a 225 calorie drink with over 30g of protein. Delicious.

Just make sure you eat something (healthy) every 2-3 hours. An apple is 100ish calories, tastes amazing. I'm way too lazy to prepare 5 meals a day from the nutrition guide (seriously, who has that kind of time?) but it gives you a really good idea of nutrient breakdown and the types of food you should be eating.

I added the following to my kitchen for easy snacks/meals:

- multi grain English muffins
    - cottage cheese (I hate it, but in smoothies you don't notice it)
    - eggs
    - massive bags of frozen fruit
    - chocolate whey
    - lean sliced turkey
    - tuna
    - baby spinach
    - apples and bananas
    - oats
    - soy milk

I make a lot of smoothies (usually 2 a day), which each have between 175-290 calories and an equal proportion of carbs and protein. They take less than 5 minutes to prepare. I also got a ton of chicken breasts from Costco, put them each in individual freezer bags and I pull one out every other day, toss some marinade in and let it thaw. Throw it in the oven, come back 20 min later and enjoy.

What types of food and how many meals (at what times of day) are you eating to only get 900 calories? I still struggle to net at least 1200 (I run as well, so burn 800 or so some days) but getting 1500ish into my body seems easy.
  • maryesser
    maryesser Posts: 24
    Options
    I agree with the others who have said you are likely not getting nearly enough calories. I know Insanity has a nutrition guide that offers 100- and 200-calorie snack options. If you are following the diet properly, you should be getting far more than 900 calories. You have gotten a lot of great suggestions from people here on snack ideas. For me, I had to start eating breakfast. This was easier than it would have been had I not been working out so hard; because I would wake up STARVING in the morning.

Are you feeling hungry when you wake up? That can also be a sign that you are not getting enough calories/nutrients. Please try to eat a little more (you can build up gradually...don't put too much pressure on yourself), and you will probably find the workouts a bit less taxing, too. Good luck!