Weight Gain?!?!?!?!?!

Options
Hey,

So I've been doing Insanity for nearly 2 weeks now, have my 2nd fit test tomorrow. I have a whey protein shake before and after my workout. Everything seems great, however I stepped on the scaled this morning and have put on like 3 pounds!!!!!

Why is this? Surely it can'y be fat? I'm eating less than ever at the moment!

:-)

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    When you are working out every day, especially at high intensity your muscles will hold water as they are trying to repair themselves.

Some people don't start seeing results on the scales until the second month.

Have you done measurements??
  • amandamotley
    Options
    I personally can easily gain 2-3 lbs of water weight after a salt-filled weekend, too. And if you don't normally eat many carbs and have a day full of carbs, you will also gain water weight. At least I do - it's a given for me! I wouldn't worry too much unless you start to see a consistent gain or your measurements are increasing/clothes aren't fitting.
  • braykay23
    braykay23 Posts: 28
    Options
    I've heard lots of people say that in the first month of insanity we are building muscle and we won't start seeing dramatic results until month 2. I didn't lose a single pound in month 1 but have noticed that my jeans are looser and I feel more toned. I just started month 2 yesterday so let's hope I start seeing the scale move down!!!!
  • Alexmcdermott6
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes me feel loads better! I don't have to panic now! I'll be taking my measurements tomorrow :-)
  • harlychic
    harlychic Posts: 58
    Options
    did the weight come off in the 2nd month ?
  • nancycsel
    nancycsel Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm in my 7th week of Insanity and the scale has not shown any weight loss....however I am down 1 pant size (almost 2). I know I have a lot to improve on my diet but I'm not stressing about the scale anymore.
  • jenjomal
    jenjomal Posts: 10
    Options
    every time i start working out or even just running i usually gain about 7 lbs before i start loosing :( im pretty sure its muscle but its no fun seeing the numbers on the scale go up instead of down. go by how you feel and how your clothes fit more than what the scale says :)
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's water retention, jenjomal. (From damage to the muscles that are unused to running...) it eventually goes away once your muscles adapt to the task and the scale trends southward if a calorie deficit is present.
  • Bastiencade
    Options
    I'm on week 5 (recovery week) and still haven't seen a difference in the scale. No worries! My clothes are fitting much better. Don't worry about the actual weight on the scale, worry about how you feel and how your body is transforming.
  • macpacman
    macpacman Posts: 64
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat. With intense workouts like Insanity, a better measurement of how well the workout is working for you is by using a measuring tape instead of a scale.
  • KeepJoJoPushin
    Options
    I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks with insanity and 13 inches. Just Stick to it. You might need to eat a by more I upped my net carbs to 1200 each day and now the weight is coming off. Hope this help!
  • myhun
    myhun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After reading this post I got curious and went and weighed myself. I gained about 4lb. :(( After a week of Insanity workout. I do hope it is just muscle...
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    After my first week of Insanity I have 2lbs more than last week!
    I did not change my eating, I just added Insanity.
    I didn't gain weight since months, but losing continuosly... ... and I am still on my way to my goal weight... so I am actually a bit worried about that weight gaining....
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Three things to consider:

1) water retention

2) muscle gain

3) DIET. this is the most likely culprit if you aren't following the eating plan or sticking to your calories AND limiting your fats.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    yep like it's been said...

You build muscles so...More weight.

You need to eat well.... A diet is not required....Eating well and I mean WELL..... is required.
    You need to fuel your body so that you feed it with protein (Muscles) and some carbs (Energy)...if not you will burn your muscles instead of your fat and you will be too tired to train to your maximum etc..etc..etc...

But 1st....stop looking at your scale....Use a measuring tape and a mirror instead. This will tell you if it's a real weight gain.
  • celenacountdown
    Options
    This scares me!!!!! I weighed n took my measurements down the first day I did insanity n I don't plan to weigh or measure myself again till the last day of my recovery week I really hope everything goes down ill keep y'all posted I just decided not to weigh myself so I wouldn't get discouraged
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am nearly done with this 63 insane days of Insanity.
    And... no weight loss!
    I maintained my weight...

First I was disappointed, because I didn't lose any weight, but then I saw, that I lost fat and built up muscles... so it was OK. The numbers on the scale are not important. I was near my weight goal anyway.
    I decided to change my goals... and the goal of Insanity is not weight loss... but get the body in the best shape of your life.
    And at the end of this 63 days I can promise... the results are worth everything.
    I am in the best shape of my life.

So don't care about the weight... do Insanity... go to your limits... dig deeper... and everything will be fine!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It is very very common for you to gain weight when you start a new workout program. Your muscles are doing something new and they hold onto water while their repair & grow. The water is retained for 2-3 weeks and then things will normalize.

Just remember that weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Make sure you are following a healthy diet and eating enough calories to keep your body in fat burning mode.