Excercise DVDs

Options
dls0516
dls0516 Posts: 27 Member
Hi all! I will hit 14 weeks on Monday and I feel as though I'm getting my appetite and enegy back! So, I think I'm ready to tackle some exercises but want to take it easy. I wasn't that active before I got pregnant and it's way too hot out to walk outside. Does anyone have any recommendations for prenatal exercise/yoga DVD's?

Thanks!
Dana

Replies

• katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm completely envious of your energy!! I can't wait until I start getting mine back!

I ordered a set of DVD's called Body by Trimester at the recommendation of someone else here. Every reviewer on Amazon gave it a 5/5! So far mine has only been used for decoration so I can't give any personal insight, but its still worth checking out!
  • dls0516
    dls0516 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will check that one out. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever feel better. This is my 3rd and I was not this run down or sick with my boys. Hang in there!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How exactly active were you? I think you really should be able to so some of the same things. I did high intensity workouts like Insanity before i got pregnant and now that I am in my second trimester and have more energy i have gotten back into Insanity. I made some modifications but not many. Now i am in no way saying to do insanity especially if you did not do it before, I am saying that what ever you did before should be ok now. If needed just make some adjustment
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of the same workouts that I did pre-pregnancy til about 17/18 weeks. I have Denise Austin Fit & Firm Pregnancy and the Lindsey Brinn 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester DVDs. They are definitely a step down (or 4:)) from Jillian Michaels anything, but they are good when you get further into your 2nd trimester. The Lindsey Brin workouts are a bit more challenging which I like. I'm at 24 weks now, so I go back and forth between those and walking.
  • spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lindsay Brin has a whole line of pregnancy DVDs. I ordered them on her website years ago but recently I say them in Target with the other fitness DVDs. I think she is adorable and the workouts aren't too intense. Good for when you are having a low energy day.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I realize you've either already given birth, or you're going to any day now, but I thought I'd comment for anyone who finds this thread late like I did. Two interesting DVDs I've found are Suzanne Bowen's Long and Lean Prenatal Workout and Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea. They both have really mixed reviews on Amazon, but I thought I'd try them out (they were like $3 used).

The one with Suzanne is fairly intensive if you didn't do a lot of lower body work before you were pregnant. They entire first set focuses on plies. I took theatrical dance a few years back so it wasn't so hard to get back into the rhythm, but the rest of the DVD isn't very friendly for those of us in our 2nd or 3rd trimesters. It involves a lot of bending at the waist and trying to cram a bulging belly into a space that just doesn't exist. That being said, I do recommend it. Especially if you're not very far along. As long as you're not a fitness guru before hand, it should be a decent workout. Once you get the hang of it I advise you to select the option that turns off her voice. It sounds like she's reading badly from a cue card.

As for Shiva Rea's DVD a lot of people think it's great. I have mixed feelings. She offers modification for each trimester, and it isn't overly intensive. However, after I've finished it I tend to feel stiffer than I did before hand - namely in the middle of my back. Maybe I just have lousy form, but I'm not willing to let anyone actually watch and tell me if that's the case. There isn't an option to turn her voice off, but the mute button is your friend. There's a lot of fast forwarding in the beginning. Watching her talk at you is really annoying.

Both DVDs have multiple routines: Standing, seated, floor work, and stretching. They both have bonus postnatal workouts as well. Suzanne's last 10 minutes and focuses on ab work, and Shiva's is an hour long and focuses on regaining pelvic floor strength and relaxing tense muscles.

I haven't tried any others, mainly because I'm cheap and afraid, but I hope this helps someone at some point.