Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does anyone here use NFP?

maryb2374
maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
I use Creighton and I have been having some issues since I've started exercising more and was wondering if anyone else has had any experience. :smile:

Replies

• BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    We use NFP. I haven't noticed anything different since I started exercising or dieting. Since I am 47 my temperature hasn't fluctuated much in the last few years so I probably am not much help. I have a friend that teaches NFP classes so if you have a question that you need answered I could always forward it to her.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Post menopausal here but used to teach NFP using the sympto-thermal method from CCL.

Sex hormones are fat soluble. For every 10 pounds that you lose your body needs to "re-calculate". Be sure you are eating enough. Make sure you are not being too restrictive with healthy fats.

Truthfully, the body really does not like anything too extreme. Anthropologically anything too extreme the body interprets as "danger" and will respond with its own "correcting" hormones. Extreme exercise and extreme dieting will eventually mess anyone up.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to share what your specific problems are.

Creighton is very good with interpreting mucus and this will be a friend to you but if you feel lost, adding your temperature could be helpful.

God Bless!

Donna
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    I do, but haven't had any problems. Sorry.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    I used Creighton for several years, what issue are you having?
  • We use a sympto-thermal NFP, but I'm also post-partum and just getting back to regular cycles, so I have no idea if my recent changes are baby-related or excercise-related! But I do know excercise can definately have an effect on your cycles and signs. It's always wise to pay special attention to your charting anytime you make a big life change, whether it's moving (stress can also affect things!) or starting to excercise or whatever.
  • maryb2374

Mainly spotting after exercise. Makes observation difficult sometimes.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    my husband and I had a major argument about this topic. I'm distraught and don't even know where to start. In the past I have used anti-life creating methods...those days are long gone for me. We are in disagreement about this. Not sure how to share my beliefs about the seriousness of all this.
  • cherrybomb_77

Can't say I've ever had that problem, so I'm not sure. When will you see your instructor next? If you're trying to avoid pregnancy, I'd probably stamp it with a baby and count 3 just to be safe, until you can get better instructions.
  • cherrybomb_77
    my husband and I had a major argument about this topic. I'm distraught and don't even know where to start. In the past I have used anti-life creating methods...those days are long gone for me. We are in disagreement about this. Not sure how to share my beliefs about the seriousness of all this.

I'm sorry :( Is your husband also Catholic? Pray, pray, pray for God to work in his heart. If he's also Catholic, maybe a sit down with your priest to go over his objections and concerns would help?
  • maryb2374

Can't say I've ever had that problem, so I'm not sure. When will you see your instructor next? If you're trying to avoid pregnancy, I'd probably stamp it with a baby and count 3 just to be safe, until you can get better instructions.

I haven't seen my instructor in several years. In fact, she's since "retired" because she had two more kids since I was going to her. I am debating calling the nearby hospital to meet with someone though. Now I have the opposite problem. My peak was Monday April 23 so I should have started on Monday/Tuesday but haven't started yet and I had a negative test this morning. My body is just weird, I guess.
  • maryb2374

I'm sorry :( Is your husband also Catholic? Pray, pray, pray for God to work in his heart. If he's also Catholic, maybe a sit down with your priest to go over his objections and concerns would help?

I haven't read it but I hear good things about Theology of the Body by JPII and Christopher West's book about it. I will keep you in my prayers.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    He is Catholic. I will keep praying about this and make an appointment with our priest. I have heard of Christopher West and will get the material. We just need more guidance on this topic.
    We have 2 beautiful teenage children, and I feel like this is my own fault because over the years of not taking this serious. Now that I am aware I am trying to learn how to do NFP correctly. Do husbands need to be part of the process?

i just found this article. funny
    http://www.ncregister.com/blog/simcha-fisher/how-to-ruin-your-marriage-with-nfp
  • cherrybomb_77
    I love Simcha Fisher, she's hilarious!

Husbands should definitely be a part of NFP! It's so important that it be a mutual thing, imo. When I was using Creighton I would chart with my husband every night, so he knew exactly what was going on. Then we could make decisions about intimacy together, instead of me having to play "gatekeeper" lol. If your children are teenagers, I can imagine that part of your husband's issue might be that you're so far out from the baby/toddler stage it's intimidating to think about going back there.

I second Christopher West's books! Very excellent. Don't beat yourself up over the past. Have you been to Confession lately? I find that regular confession really helps me when I'm feeling bogged down with guilt over my past. Good luck!
  • JennieMLane
    JennieMLane Posts: 7 Member
    My husband and I practice Creighton. We started out Sympto, but since my cycles are irregular due to PCOS, I opted for Creighton, a more medical model. I recommend keeping in contact with a consultant/practitioner. I have phone conferences with an NFP practitioner from: Center for Women’s Health , Spirit FertilityCare Services, American Office Center, 423 N 21st Street, Camp Hill PA 17011. I scan and e-mail charts. i'm just starting to chart again after pregnancy/newborn so I am rusty, but will get the hang of it again. Center for Women's Health is an all Creighton OBGYN office! I don't live in PA, that is why I have to do phone conferences/e-mail.