Kids - Do They Eat Like You Do

Options
giftieetcetera
giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
Last night I was eating stuffed jalapenos (stuffed with center cut bacon, onions, and light cream cheese, carefully measured out to stay under calorie goal) and a grilled corn on the cob. I noticed that I fed one kid a corn dog and the other a frozen pizza, I guess because I could not imagine feeding a kid a pepper. But some of the peppers were red and not even that spicy.

When you are eating healthy, do you feed the kids the same way?

(My husband is on a different diet so only joins us when our diets coincide.)

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I have 8 kids. I can't make eveyone their own meals. I would be in the kitchen all day! lol
    I tend to make everyone the same things but I might vary them slightly (I have one kid that hates mushrooms so I don't add those until I have served his up or he gets to pick them out)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was prob pretty guilty of this at one time too but then I realized that part of the reason I ate like I did as an adult was becuase it was how I learned to eat when I was a child.
    Our rule is that everyone at the table must try a polite bite of a new item. If they really just don't like it they can pass on it the next time. On nights where nothing on the table is something they will eat...there is always PB&J. Most nights it doesn't come to that:) You might be surprised how many things children are willing to try when it is put in front of them.
    Good Luck!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    I was prob pretty guilty of this at one time too but then I realized that part of the reason I ate like I did as an adult was becuase it was how I learned to eat when I was a child.
    Our rule is that everyone at the table must try a polite bite of a new item. If they really just don't like it they can pass on it the next time. On nights where nothing on the table is something they will eat...there is always PB&J. Most nights it doesn't come to that:) You might be surprised how many things children are willing to try when it is put in front of them.
    Good Luck!

sounds like what we do. There have been very few times they have opted forthe PB and J.
  • mamawescher
    Options
    Truthfully...it depends. Most of the time they want to try what i am eating. they may like it and eat some or they may look at it and say 'no way!'

I am happy to say that since i have been eating salads, they want to eat some too :) I am glad they are eating veggies!
  • BrookeeFranks
    BrookeeFranks Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old daughter and meal time is probably when she is the worst. Some days she won't eat things even though she has had them before. I will say since I have started eating better and excercising more she has mimicked the behaviors. She is only weighs 35 pounds. Just has always been small so a little fat in her diet will not hurt anything. If I know I am making something spicy, I will make her something different. For the most part, she will eat the same meal as us, but I just don't mix it all together. A handful of this and that. She is drinking more water and eating her veggies better. I feel like I am being a better mom when I serve a healthier meal.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    I have a 5 year old daughter and meal time is probably when she is the worst. Some days she won't eat things even though she has had them before. I will say since I have started eating better and excercising more she has mimicked the behaviors. She is only weighs 35 pounds. Just has always been small so a little fat in her diet will not hurt anything. If I know I am making something spicy, I will make her something different. For the most part, she will eat the same meal as us, but I just don't mix it all together. A handful of this and that. She is drinking more water and eating her veggies better. I feel like I am being a better mom when I serve a healthier meal.

good for you mom! you are being a great example and it sounds like she is learnign from you!! keep it up!
  • MrsHarvey2010
    MrsHarvey2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My munchkin is 16months old, so she's at that stage where she wants anything/everything I have lol. I lose a good 10-20% of every meal to her when I'm at home on top of whatever I've decided to fix for her. The rule at our house is if hubby and I wont' eat it, I won't make her eat it. If she doesn't like it today, we can try again next time. She's usually not a picky eater but there are days that more green beans end up on the floor than in the tummy lol. We also stay stocked up on Gerber raviolis, kid loves those things.
  • kaali85
    kaali85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I make my kids the same as I make us, the only difference I would say is, I tend to replace stuff like rice and pasta and potatoes with stuff like spinach for my hubby and I, but the kids will have both spinach and whatever I have made them, but none are that keen on spinach. So just a little to familiarise them with it.
  • Melonheads
    Melonheads Posts: 11
    Options
    I think I feed my child 10x HEALTHIER food than I feed myself! It is, of course, much easier to tell him "no" to junk food than tell myself no :) I'm always trying to make sure his meals are healthy and balanced, not to let him snack too much on junk or have too much dessert (a constant battle with my husband btw). I, on the other hand, will wait until he goes to bed to have snacks/dessert :/ *do what I say, not what I do* lol
  • Sharlene113
    Sharlene113 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I, on the other hand, will wait until he goes to bed to have snacks/dessert :/ *do what I say, not what I do* lol

I'm guilty of that myself! I feed my kids the same dinner as my husband and myself. It's not that my dinners are that unhealthy, it's just that MY personal portions are large and I eat when everyone goes to bed so I get the "treats" I hide all to myself. I haven't done that in 2 weeks since joining MFP.
  • michelleraber
    Options
    I make one meal for me, my three children and my husband. There are twice a week i eat chicken and make them another meat. For example, Fridays is steak night at my house. I can no longer eat beef or marbled meat after my heart attack, but that doesn't mean that the rest of my family can enjoy them. Then my 7 year old son absolutely loves pork chops. I can not deprive him of what he enjoys because I chose not to take care of my self when I was younger. When you evolve your children in the cooking process, they are more apt to eat it and enjoy it. On Sunday's me and my children go to the foodnetwork.com and pick out what we are going to cook for that week. There are times that I have to substitute an ingredient or two for health reasons. This is one of their favorite activities to do. Also, by evolving your children in the cooking process, you are teaching your children the right way to eat, and you are teaching them how to cook. I wish you a lot of luck in this quest! I hope it works for you and your family!
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The oldest is the pickiest eater I've ever met. Chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, and pizza. Yogurt, milk, and juice. Sometimes apples or bananas. Then junk food. I've tried every trick in the book to get her to try something new, but I'm just waiting for her to grow out of it, I guess :ohwell:

Carma, on the other hand, eats everything and anything, so I make sure to give her healthy food. Lots of fruits and veggies, the right amount of dairy everyday, and plenty of protein. She's a champ!

Logan's still on baby food, but I make sure he gets a fruit and a veggie everyday, and some cereal. We're starting to get him meats now :smile: