Abs and skill exercises for props?

Options
Hey ruggers,

I'm training for the upcoming fall season and I'm looking for some good general ab exercises to add to my routine. Also, if you guys know any skill exercises particular for props, that would be great too.

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl!

I actually use this as pre-season training for both footy and rugby. This is more fitness focused, rather than skills though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rugby1.htm
  • ployjoy
    ployjoy Posts: 45
    Options
    ^ I really like the thing just listed above. I'm a hook/flank so I'm unsure of how much it'd behoove you, but I do a lot of core and back work so see if any of this info helps you!

I use an exercise body ball (Swiss ball) to do crunches and a weighted 11lb medicine ball to do russian twists and crazy ivans. I have a very strong core and obliques. They have some really good ones on that website listed from andiwho on the beginners page. I also want to stress deadlifts as a great way to prepare your lower back. Are you a loosey or tightend? I know my teams props do a lot of the big 3 (squat, deadlift, bench). Wallsits are great too, for core stamina. But I hate them so I almost never do them.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh the dreaded wallsit. Good luck, godspeed, ouch, you're gonna need it. They hurt so damn good though!

I am going to echo the big three (squats, deads, bench). Pretty much can't go wrong with those.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts and double crunches will also benefit your lower abs. Don't forget to do some lower back exercises too, to balance out the muscles.

Besides the big 3, I would add some military presses for your shoulders (especially if you'll be lifting in lineouts) and some mid & upper back exercises - pullups/lat pulldowns, rows, etc. I found it helps me stay bound in the scrum better when my back isn't fatigued too soon.

If you do squats with the barbell on your shoulders, use the free barbell (not the smith machine) as this will definitely also work your core.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    @ployjoy: I was mainly at loose for the spring season, but it's also the first season I started (only played a year thus far). I prefer tight, but I play where told.

Ahhhhh, wall sits. Didn't even ponder that before...get ready, core!

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm pretty new to lifting as well. I first began "lifting" last winter during our off season, so I'm trying to get the hang of it all!
  • richied26
    richied26 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Does your team have access to a scrummaging machine? That way your whole front row gets a good workout and it should improve your positioning in the scrum as well
  • MandaMand
    MandaMand Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i usually do a whole lot of lunges and squats, while keeping my back nice and straight like in a scrum :) if you don't have a scrum machine, grab a ruck buddy and push back and forth!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    if you don't have a scrum machine, grab a ruck buddy and push back and forth!

This is what we've been doing in practice - if the other person has good form, you'll definitely feel it all in your core, lol.
  • squid116
    squid116 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts - both add to core.
    Situps, planks, v-holds.

You should also be doing some bench press, and back weights (lat pulldowns and seated rows are a good start).

By far the best exercise for scrummaging - is surprising - scrummaging - do lots of it and you will get a great workout! Head up, shoulder blades back and together, sink the knees and then explosive drive!