Brand New Vegan! Need Advice :-)

Options
nemiredi3
nemiredi3 Posts: 29 Member
Hi Everyone! I am starting my New Vegan Lifestyle today and am super excited yet nervous at the same time. I don't know nearly enough about being a Vegan and what I can and cannot have besides the obvious meats, dairy and such. How do I get in all my calories and protein and etc.. I am still also going to be cooking non vegan for my Husband and Son as they aren't interested in this lifestyle which is fine just going to be a little harder to cook 2 very different meals. I can't wait to feel clean and have that energy people talk about. I am going grocery shopping today and am looking for ideas as to what your normal day looks like for meals. I don't have any Health Food Stores around me just regular markets like Shaws with not much choices for organic. I work full-time and also need quick ideas for bringing to work. Thanks so much in advance and I can't wait to share ideas and start this new healthy chapter of my life!! :-)

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Welcome! What inspired you to take the plunge?

I've been following the Engine 2 diet for the past 2 weeks. It's been helpful to have recipies to start from when going shopping. There are some .pdf files here http://engine2diet.com/tools that you may find helpful. All of the "approved" foods are very low fat, less than 3g/serving, have no white sugar/four or added oil. Obviously no meat, dairy, eggs are included.

You can also find some recepies there.

I've found the "what's for dinner" thread on this group interesting. Everyone has a slightly different set of guidelines of what's included in their diets, so that's always fun to learn about.

I found it easier to do a little bit of shopping for things link brown rice vinegar, liquid aminos, etc at a time since they tend to be a little pricey.

I've never understood why women will cook two meals, one for them, one for their family. If I'm cooking, that's what we're having. If you want something else, you can make it yourself :-) But that's just me.

Good luck!
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If your not easily offended and i know alot of vegans that have been...try getting your hands on a book called 'skinny *****' as long as you see the funny side of things and take it with a pinch od salt it spells everything out for you!! Was a massive help for me!! :-) i live in the uk so some products are impossible to get hold of...but all in all perfect buy!! Xx
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I didnt realise b i t c h would be edited!! :-/ x
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    for easy, fast, delicious recipes that are very portable for lunches, i HIGHLY recommend the following 2 books (same author):
    Everyday Happy Herbivore
    The Happy Herbivore Cookbook

Thanks to these books, I actually cook for myself now. Even as a vegetarian, I ate out of boxes and prepackaged, prepared food...not anymore! You can visit her blog happyherbivore.com which has some recipes to start you off with and get an idea of her style. Also check out fatfreevegan.com and ohsheglows.com most importantly, don't give up. feel free to check out my diary to get an idea of what i eat. I NEVER have a problem with calorie intake and getting the right amounts of macro and micro nutrients.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree re Happy Herbivore and also her website happyherbivore.com - check out fatfreevegan.com too. I'm not totally vegan yet but working on it and my OH is totally omni. Sometimes we do eat completely different things but sometimes we eat similar ie I will make a stir fry or noodle soup and he will add meat, or I'll do pasta or curry or vegetable stew etc. That way at least you're only really cooking one meal! Good luck!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am the only one following a plant-based diet in my family. What we do for dinners is cooking one meal. While the rest of the family has meat for their protein, I have some other protein source. I still eat the carb and veggie that everyone else has.

I have found ohsheglows.com to be my favorite source for plant based inspired meals! I've also been reading Engine 2 diet, but I have not given up oils/fats. The Post Punk Kitchen and all of Isa's cookbooks are fantastic as well! I enjoy nomeatathlete.com as well.

Another good resource for me is Accidentally Vegan on peta.org (I've got 3 kids who like snacks), this way I can have snacks around that I can also eat!

There's a learning curve for sure. I agree that you don't need to go buy everything vegan all at once. Get a few items each time you grocery shop and soon you will have a vegan friendly pantry/fridge/freezer! Read labels, learn what foods have hidden animal products in them. I was buying veggie shreds only to later read the ingredients and there was casein in them!

Good luck!
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A good book I like to recommend is the Complete Idiots Guide to Vegan Living, although it goes into all aspects of living vegan, not just eating vegan. It's a good book tho.

I find the easiest foods for lunches are salads (of course, lol) but I try to add different things to them often and try new things so it doesn't bore me. I eat at Subway usually once weekly and get their veggie sub. I also take pb&j and sometimes hummus wraps with veggies. My lunches aren't exciting but they work for me :)
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!

Another good cookbook is the Everything Vegan cookbook. Check out your local library for vegan cook books so you can look at a few and get some ideas before you purchase.

Another great site and she has loads of books is Post Punk Kitchen http://www.theppk.com/blog/. Isa Chandra is a vegan goddess!
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love the Veganomicon (and if you get the reference, you get bonus points :P...). If you have some cooking skills, this book has some really great stuff.

Like a few others mentioned, it isn't worth it to make two separate dinners every night (though my mom does that because my step dad won't eat anything 'healthy.'

When I make dinner, I choose the main part(s) of the meal (grains, beans, veggies, fruit, etc.) and then my husband also cooks a chicken breast or a piece of fish to add onto his meal. He is not vegan, but does not eat dairy, so the bulk of our meals can be the same.

In any case, if you are good at cooking, non-vegans tend not to care if there isn't meat or cream in every dish!

Good luck and keep us posted on how your transition is going!!
  • nemiredi3
    nemiredi3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I have been doing really well and haven't slipt up once! I will def look into reading those books and have been looking up a lot of helpful sites as well! My coworker has the skinny B**** book and it looks hilarious and helpful so I will for sure read that! I spent way too much grocery shopping over 300$!!! Eeek I need to take what you said and buy small amounts. But I feel ok I can do this.. Can't wait to start feeling better and feel clean and energized! My skin had been acting up a bit I have heard some people say that when switching to not have any meat or dairy it breaks out a bit? I hope it clears up and my body gets use to this new change soon!
  • LOH611
    LOH611 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegan for almost a week now and my skin freaked out! I've also had a very runny nose and headaches. I have read that some people experience "vegan detox" so I think that's what it is.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    you are more than welcome to look at my diary for any suggestions. they can all be made into animal form just as animal form can be made vegan. been vegan 7 1/2 years so its a lot easier than people make it out to be. and if anybody says anything about protein just smack them. haha. :laugh:
  • TinaKeniston
    TinaKeniston Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I first went vegan, I tried to continue cooking for my husband and son as you're planning to. I can tell you, it won't work. Just cook for you and they'll happily eat what you make. I went vegan for health reasons and personal convictions - I will not purchase animal products, and I sure as heck won't prepare them. If your husband feels he needs meat/dairy, then you can tell him it's in the fridge and he can add it to his own plate, etc. I'm not sure how old your son is, but you'll have to do what you feel is right for him. Mine was 15 when I made the switch. He's 20 now and is not vegan, but loves pretty much everything I make.

My advice is to try to modify normal recipes to make them vegan before you go out and buy the cookbooks and start trying "fancy" vegan recipes. It's an evolution that will take time. You don't want to overwhelm yourself by trying to figure out what all the different vegan ingredients are while your body is adjusting.

Easy things for lunch are hummus and pita chips (or any kind of vegan chip or bread), salads - obviously, homemade soups, good old PB&J.

Good luck to you!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    While I support your decision why are you vegan now?

Also, you can feed your husband and child vegan dinners sometimes, they won't notice. I made my dad stuffed peppers and he didn't miss the meat. You can buy daiya or other cheese replacements to use with you and your family.

I recommend you get a book on veganism like living vegan for dummies, I'm not trying to be condescending but this book will cover all your bases including nutritional concerns like protein and b12.
  • TrinaCanDoThis
    Options
    bump
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    While I support your decision why are you vegan now?

Also, you can feed your husband and child vegan dinners sometimes, they won't notice. I made my dad stuffed peppers and he didn't miss the meat. You can buy daiya or other cheese replacements to use with you and your family.

I recommend you get a book on veganism like living vegan for dummies, I'm not trying to be condescending but this book will cover all your bases including nutritional concerns like protein and b12.

Quoted for truthiness.

The thing you have to ask yourself is "why vegan?"

Is it for ethical reasons? Health and dietary reasons? To be trendy? Why vegan? Once you internalize the why's of it all, it becomes super simple. If you believe in what you're doing, you will succeed easily.

I recommend the book "The 30 day Vegan Challenge" by Colleen Patrick Goudreau to anyone who has ever thought of going vegan. It is a fantastic guide and will educate you on veganism is a friendly, easy manner.