Denial

hopeandlove91
hopeandlove91 Posts: 40 Member
When I first signed up on MFP I refused to accept that it would be difficult to lose weight due to my PCOS, I thought I would use it as an excuse. It wouldn't apply to me. In the beginning I was able to lose 13 lbs...but I haven't lost weight in the last 3 weeks. Maybe it's a plateau, but I find it hard to believe that I would plateau after a month and a half. I have stayed at or under my calorie goal every day and have worked my way up to running 3 miles a day. My health has improved, I can see a definite difference in my heart rate while I run and my resting heart rate. I am just a little frustrated seeing that PCOS is making it more difficult for me to lose weight. I know I should try a low carb diet but the idea of cutting out so much bread is really depressing. When I was first diagnosed nearly 2 years ago, the doctor told me workout 30 minutes a day, but don't be surprised if you don't lose weight...turns out he is right.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Hi,

I have been a member since March. I've found that my weight loss tends to go in big chunks and then level off (or even increase a little). My progress chart looks like steps! Anyway, I don't think it is an excuse - just a reality. In fact, part of the reason I went to my doctor in the first place was because I ate right and exercised everyday and wasn't losing. MFP and Metformin have helped me finally take a little bit of weight off. I have a long way to go but I'll get there!
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 399 Member
    Hello! I've had the same experience as miranda... I lose weight in steps. One week the weight falls off (like 4 lbs at a time) and then nothing for 3-4 weeks after that. My effort is still there. My eating habits don't really change... I've come to expect that cycle.

Are you keeping measurements as well? I found that recording weight only was very discouraging because of how slowly I lose weight. I've also found that measuring yourself with a tape measure is a great way to notice the differences, along with how your clothes are fitting. Back in April I didn't lose any weight, but I lost 8 inches. I'll take the inches.

Keep working at it. I also started Metformin in May and I was able to drop like 10 lbs right away. I don't expect to drop that quickly ever again, but it also hasn't come back either. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • hopeandlove91
    Thanks for the support you guys! My jeans are fitting loser, so I know my body is changing. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who is having these issues.
  • KimKAnderson80
    KimKAnderson80 Posts: 13 Member
    I, too, thought that the PCOS rules wouldn't apply to me. That I was different and other people just didn't want it bad enough. Boy, was I wrong. Here's the thing, and I have to remind myself of this hourly, losing the weight at a slower rate is healthy and maintainable. I am currently in a 3 week plateau. I want to throw my freggin scale off the roof, but I know eventually I'll see big changes.

Don't give up.
  • kashubian
    kashubian Posts: 11 Member
    Love the last statement "Don't give up". That about sums it up. I've begun to come to terms with the fact that I must measure my losses by the tape measure, by endurance and increase in reps I can do. I haven't thought about tossing the scale from the roof, but I have thought about drop kicking it. Tossing it from the roof sounds like a good secondary option. Loosing carbs is hard, I barely eat any pasta or bread so there is little to curb kick from my diet. Just recently got the diagnosis of anxiety and depression, when I went for my learning disability of all things...yes, PCOS kicks me in the butt yet again.

Just gotta keep plugging away at it, slow and steady wins the race. Keeping up when your losses don't stack up to what others doing the same thing are realizing is brutal for the self esteem and getting past that frustration is not easy. I've lost 3 pounds, gained 2 back now while others are realizing 9 to 14 pounds lost on the same exercise regimen. Yet I come in under calories every day. Brutal.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    I rell the same way. I have noticed it goes it chunks, 4 or 5 pounds in a week and nothing for a month. I would suggest watching season 2 episode 1 of Extreme makeover: Weight Loss Edition. She has PCOS and has done the best of any of people on that show. They have the shows on Hulu.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    My weight loss is the same way. I'll loose a lot then level off, then loose some more. I've noticed that low carbing (100-130 g daily) helps a lot along with C25K helped me a lot. I LOVE sugar and breads too but I try to limit how much I take in a day. I still have them, just in moderation. I know some PCOS'ers do <50g CARBS daily. I couldn't do it. This along with cinnamon and chromium have really turned everything around.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    When I first signed up on MFP I refused to accept that it would be difficult to lose weight due to my PCOS, I thought I would use it as an excuse. It wouldn't apply to me. In the beginning I was able to lose 13 lbs...but I haven't lost weight in the last 3 weeks. Maybe it's a plateau, but I find it hard to believe that I would plateau after a month and a half. I have stayed at or under my calorie goal every day and have worked my way up to running 3 miles a day. My health has improved, I can see a definite difference in my heart rate while I run and my resting heart rate. I am just a little frustrated seeing that PCOS is making it more difficult for me to lose weight. I know I should try a low carb diet but the idea of cutting out so much bread is really depressing. When I was first diagnosed nearly 2 years ago, the doctor told me workout 30 minutes a day, but don't be surprised if you don't lose weight...turns out he is right.

I was doing all of the same stuff that you are. I started a low carb diet and lost 4 lbs in a week but I couldn't keep up with the restrictions on the carbs. So I started reading about a low GI (glycemic index) diet. It shows you which carbs are good for you and which ones will really hinder your progress. It is actually designed for Type II diabetics but since PCOS is pre diabetic it really helps us out too. I have been doing that for the last 3 weeks and though the weight loss is slower (6 lbs in 3 weeks) it is much easier to stick to my diet. The basic principle is if you eat carbs make them whole grain (not just whole wheat)! There is a lot of info out there but here is where I got most of my stuff: http://www.livestrong.com/low-glycemic-diet-plan/

Hope this helps you out a little!
  • hopeandlove91
    I actually bought a Low GI Book last year...I read it all the way through and even highlighted the foods that were low GI that I liked. I got that book back out yesterday and looked through it. I also bought a low GI cook book. We'll see if it helps.