Calories Burned (Using a HRM)

Options
brookef81
brookef81 Posts: 286 Member
I was just curious:

What type of HRM do you have?
How many calories do you burn during TF workouts?

I have a Polar Ft6
I an 5'6" and 140 lbs
For TF 30 I burn usually around 230.

The reason I am asking is because I feel like I am giving my all burning so little calories. When I see people burning close to 500 calories for the same workouts that I am doing I get so frustrated like I am doing something wrong. I thought that HRMs were supposed to be super accurate, however, I feel like mine HAS TO BE LYING!

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I am 5'1, 132lbs
    I have a Garmin FR70
    I haven't done the Fire 30 class yet but for the Fire Starter Class which is 35 minutes long I burned any where from 588-628.
    I am not sure why some people burn more than others. Do you have your heart rate monitor set correctly. After reading others posts yesterday about my burn being so high I went down and made sure to check to make sure mine had all the correct info.
  • brookef81
    Options
    I am 5'1, 132lbs
    I have a Garmin FR70
    I haven't done the Fire 30 class yet but for the Fire Starter Class which is 35 minutes long I burned any where from 588-628.
    I am not sure why some people burn more than others. Do you have your heart rate monitor set correctly. After reading others posts yesterday about my burn being so high I went down and made sure to check to make sure mine had all the correct info.

Hmmmmm, I just checked and my setting seem to be up to date. I just had to change my weight by 3 lbs.

See, I just did a 60 minute class and only burned 408 calories. If you are burning that high for a 30 minute class, that is where I get confused...LOL
  • Jdubmarie
    Jdubmarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" 184 pounds
    I have a Polar F6

I average right around 500 when I go Fire 45 EZ. And about 250 when I do HIIT 15 or HIIT 20.
  • TessiPSU
    TessiPSU Posts: 19
    Options
    I am 5'4, 117 lbs
    For TF 30 I burn around 270 Calories.
    I have a Polar FT40
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    I need to get a new one because my HRM was saying I was burning 800+ calories for HIITS and 600 Calories for Fire classes...So, until I get a new one i am just using my running pace. Minutes for TF/12 x 100.. then i just take away some calories if i feel i didn't do as well, or just if i feel as if it is too many.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    5 ft
    137 lbs
    29 yrs old

I too don't burn much. I beleieve when I did Fire 55 I burned only 400 and some cals, less than 500. Yesterday when I did fire 45ez I burned less than 350.

I have a new balance hrm. It's got the chest strap and the settings are correct. I know it's not as nice as say the Polars but it should still give a close estimate!
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    Let me ask this. When do you start your hrm and when do you turn it off? I did some reading and everything that I read says that you should start it when you start your work out and not stop it until your hr reaches around 100. I usually stop it after the 10 minute stretch because by then my hr is down to about 110 so I figure that is low enough.
  • brookef81
    Options
    Let me ask this. When do you start your hrm and when do you turn it off? I did some reading and everything that I read says that you should start it when you start your work out and not stop it until your hr reaches around 100. I usually stop it after the 10 minute stretch because by then my hr is down to about 110 so I figure that is low enough.

That's what I do, I wait to tun it off until it is around 100...I guess that I just need to work harder...LOL Although I am not sure it is possible!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I start mine right when we start warming up and turn it off right after we cool down. I guess I should wait a little bit since my hr is usually still at 130 at the end of cooling down. I'll try that after my workout today:)
  • brookef81
    Options
    Thanks to all of your replies, I think it is accurate, but I just get jealous of all of you fabulous women burning so much more than me...waaahhh...I'm just going to whine about it because I am in a whiny mood....LOL
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    Thanks to all of your replies, I think it is accurate, but I just get jealous of all of you fabulous women burning so much more than me...waaahhh...I'm just going to whine about it because I am in a whiny mood....LOL

Feel free to whine I am whining because I feel very slobby and puffy today. One of the reasons I might burn more right now is because I am must starting out with cardio I have been doing strength training before this so right now it is easy to get my heart rate into the higher range. I have noticed it is harder and harder to get my heart rate into the 180 range and it is only the second week.
  • ablissabby
    ablissabby Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6"ish - I usually average about 80 calories for each 10 minutes that I do a Turbo Fire workout, which is pretty frustrating because I work as hard as I can. My dr said that this is because I have a really low resting heart rate and the rest of my numbers are really healthy, so I should be happy :). Maybe you're in the same situation?

These workouts are a blast - have fun!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline Duo, I'm 5'6 and weigh 142. My calorie burn always seems lower than everyone else too. My resting heart rate is between 62 and 66, not sure if that is low or normal? I just started TF today and burned 289 calories doing the Fire Starter workout. I'm pretty happy with that considering I almost turned it off after the first 5 minutes, thinking it was just a instructional type video and I already know the basic moves from doing Turbo Jam and Les Mills Body Combat. Guess I was wrong!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    The more a person weighs, they more potential they have to burn, cuz they're carrying around more weight. Also, it depends on ur heart rate. Getting ur heart rate up is what will give u those major burns! Whether it's safe or not, I don't know. I guess it depends on the person.
    I'm 5'5 131.2lbs. When I did turbo fire, I was in the mid to high 130s. My heart rate stayed between 170-185. During the fire drills I would get up in the 190s. So I had killer burns even for my relatively low weight. I was told that sustaining my heart rate at tht high for long periods wasn't good, so I started monitoring mine and trying to keep it below 181. I've finished TF now and moved on to Chalean Extreme.
    I have a polar FT4
    I typically burned between 330-600 cals for the fire work outs. HIIT 15 i would burn around 190 cals. HIIT 20 super close to 200 HIIT 25 was ab 250 cals I think.
    What is ur average heart rate during these workouts? And do u have ur weight put in ur monitor? These ppl who are buring more, are they heavier than u are? Or are they in better shape? A lot of factors come into play with this.
  • beeceezee
    beeceezee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
    I just got a Polar FT4 (I think that's the number) and tried it out today.
    When I did a HIIT workout it said I burned like 225 calories.
    Felt like I burned 2,000...HAHA!!!
  • mariannerenoir
    Options
    I use a Sigma 10.11, and on average I burn around 10 per minute, sometimes a bit more.
  • priepen
    priepen Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It is not good to get your heart rate too high becasue then you begin to work anerobic instead of aerobic and your body can only work so long anerobicaly before it can go no more. When you work anerobicaly you are mainly burning sugar no fat. You want to keep your heart rate at 40 to 60 percent of your maximum heart rate and there you are burning about 50/50 sugar and fat. Our body uses different fuel surce depending on the intnsity of your work. So don't get discourated by the calories burned you are still burning fat if you keep your heart rate at 40 to 60 percent of you vo2 max.
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have a Polar FT4
    I am 5'6" and 138 lbs

For TF 30 I burn usually around 230-250 calories as well and for the TF 55EZ I usually burn around 500 calories.
  • brookef81
    Options
    Hey! I have a Polar FT4
    I am 5'6" and 138 lbs

For TF 30 I burn usually around 230-250 calories as well and for the TF 55EZ I usually burn around 500 calories.

Same with me...
  • brookef81
    Options
    It is not good to get your heart rate too high becasue then you begin to work anerobic instead of aerobic and your body can only work so long anerobicaly before it can go no more. When you work anerobicaly you are mainly burning sugar no fat. You want to keep your heart rate at 40 to 60 percent of your maximum heart rate and there you are burning about 50/50 sugar and fat. Our body uses different fuel surce depending on the intnsity of your work. So don't get discourated by the calories burned you are still burning fat if you keep your heart rate at 40 to 60 percent of you vo2 max.

Very true...thanks :)