New and possibly TMI lol

Options
Hi all, I too have PCOS but I seem to be the only person with it that bleeds ALL the time instead of not at all. So, I'd like to know how often you all have a cycle/bleed. Mine's not a cycle so i don't know what to call it except I bleed... Every day of every month of every year for over 5 years now. I might have the occasional day off (or if I'm REAL lucky, a week lol) but other than that, it's constant. Am I the only one? Did I take every persons period that has PCOS? lol Just curious to see...

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I spot often too. It is likely a hormonal imbalance. The reason I bleed, though, is due to endometriosis. Maybe you have that too? They can't properly diagnose it without doing a biopsy, though. What does your doctor say?
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Were you spotting or was it a full flow?
    I had a full flow for a month. Had to take prenatals to actually feel better because it took a lot out of me.
  • shamilton1984
    Options
    I'm getting a pelvic ultrasound on the 16th then my doc wants to do a biopsy. She drew labs last week and I'll get the results when I go back for the hormones. My flow varies from day to day. Light some days, only really needing a liner to super heavy like a normal period for a few days (like the past 3 days which has sucked lol). I pass clots all the time though which I find odd. I just started seeing this new gyno and she seems knowledgeable but my husband and I have to move in November so I hope she gets me squared away by then.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    This happened to me some year or so ago. I stopped my birth control and at first went a solid 4 or 5 months without a period.... but then, TOM showed up and stayed for over six months straight. It wasn't a sometimes thing either. This was every single day for six months. If I hadn't gotten on medoxyprogesterone (spelling?) I'd probably still be bleeding today. You're definitely not alone.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I feel lucky!! I didn't bleed like that ever. I also did not have any troube getting pregnant the two times I tried. However, I did spend most of my child bearing years on birth control, so that probably had a lot to do with it. When I was finally off, (tubal ligation) I was every 28 days to the day, but they were only a couple of days like 3 or 4. I feel for you, but don't give up. If this doc does not figure it out, keep trying. My only advice is NEVER EVER EVER let your doctor talk you into taking depo provera shots. Want to know why? Search the web for Depo Provera Horror Stories. I'm one of them.
  • kashubian
    kashubian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I've bled daily for some months (not just spotting) and then gone a few months without. Finally I'd settled into about 8 months of aprox. 3 weeks of bleeding a month: a few days spotting, then enough to justify a regular tampon, then flooding for up to 3 days, then back to regular flow and then spotting. On the flooding days I was wearing super +, a maxi pad back up and changing the super + ever 15 minutes to half hour. An ultra sound showed that my condition was complicated by a couple uterine fibroids. Severe cramping like you would not believe that put me in bed for at least 1, maybe 3 days a month. I had a mirena incerted and after I got past the spotting I finally have my bleeding under control. I have spotting to a regular period for usually 3 days now. Not every one does well on mirena and there are horror stories out there about it too, but it has so far helped me immensely when lots of other therapies were failures. Having a doctor who will explore possibilities with you is a major first step. For years all they wanted to do was throw birth control pills at me and when they didn't work, talk hystorectomy.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a pelvic ultrasound on the 16th then my doc wants to do a biopsy. She drew labs last week and I'll get the results when I go back for the hormones. My flow varies from day to day. Light some days, only really needing a liner to super heavy like a normal period for a few days (like the past 3 days which has sucked lol). I pass clots all the time though which I find odd.
    Mine was super clotty for a month! Seriously thought I was gonna die.
    BC fixed it but then I had no TOM.
  • Lindseyjobirkner
    Options
    This happened to me once, it was HORRIBLE like super plus tampons every hour for like three months straight. My doc finally did a D&C and he said when they went in there was still so much lining that I likely would have bled for alot longer. BC helped me, how I am off them and I take Provera about every three months to have a bleed. It's pretty heavy but only lasts about ten days.
    Lindsey
  • uzit_13
    uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My periods were 33-55 days apart, so I'm kind of the opposite, however when I went on BC my periods weren't as heavy. Now they're a breeze (if you can ever say that about periods...lol)
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    PCOS sufferers generally continue building lining due to oestrogen but lack the progesterone to trigger a period, whereas you almost seem as though you in a constant state of progesterone and no oestrogen. It would be worth a try to have a 2g blend of magnesium/calcium/vitamin d + 2g vitamin c stirred into glass of unsweetened orange juice, plus take a zinc capsule and 2 fish oil capsules before bed. These are the vitamins and minerals that are capable of rebalancing the endocrine system. Because either way it sounds like a hormone imbalance (if somewhat back the other way). Maybe you have discovered SOCP? lol. It took a few days of this before I suddenly got some astonishing results. Definitely worth a try. Those dosages were Grams , not milligrams. Your average multivitamin is up to this sort of job. This worked for me and I only got it from researching endocrine system.
    But I am not a doctor. Just a chicken that knits. Best wishes. Xx
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    NOT... "your average multivitamin is NOT up to this job.". Sorry typo. It's my hands...

\|/. \|/
    |. |

Sorry. Hard to type with little chicken feet. I hope this helps you.
  • npeeks22
    npeeks22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. With me, I go about 4-6 months witbhout a period. When I finally get my period, it last 20 plus days! I haven't had on in about 6 months, but have been spotting every day almost. The gyn recommended birth control pills, but I don't take them, because in my opinion they make me bleed more.
  • mel7261
    mel7261 Posts: 15
    Options
    While I am not currently having this problem I have suffered from this in the past. It took a very long time to stop it and I have to be honest nothing that any doctor did would stop it. I had blood test, ultrasounds,etc. They put me on different types of medication, I had a D & C, we tried Mirena. I don't think there is anything I didn't try. I didn't bleed constantly but I did about 3 weeks out of the month so it was constant enough. I did at that time focus on losing weight and trying to eat healthy not sure if that's what stopped it or not but it eventually stopped. and I went back to having a period every couple of months. Pure craziness! Everything with PCOS is. Good luck and I hope you figure out what's causing it.